Login

russian armor

Strategy as allies

9 Mar 2015, 11:22 AM

Hey,

I found a great strategy to win as soviet in team games. 2 or 3 120mm Mortars to squad wipe and destroy OKW´s FHQ and....it´s not funny.

Yesterday I played against particulary unpleasant axis Players.

I really love this game, but i don´t want to use shitty tactics to win against assholes. there is no fun in that.
9 Mar 2015, 11:36 AM
Patrion 14

Ehm, what response are you expecting to this thread?
"2 or 3" 120mm should be easy to counter, since its a huge investment (800 respectively 1200 mp if i'm correct) so you're lacking lots of capping power. A stuka that can come about 3-5 mins after the 120 hard-counters it.

This is a l2p issue.
9 Mar 2015, 11:48 AM

I've seen multiple 120mm mortars work well in 3s and 4s but only on maps like Ettelbruck or Lienne Forest where the map is so tight that flanks are difficult and much of the map can be locked down with maxims in buildings.

In 1v1 more than a single 120mm is suicide.
9 Mar 2015, 11:48 AM
Patrion 28

team games. that's the key.
9 Mar 2015, 12:14 PM

Hey,

I really love this game, but i don´t want to use shitty tactics to win against assholes.

Assholes require shitty tactics. Whether you like it or not. So do what you must to win and that's all.
9 Mar 2015, 12:15 PM

Ehm, what response are you expecting to this thread?
"2 or 3" 120mm should be easy to counter, since its a huge investment (800 respectively 1200 mp if i'm correct) so you're lacking lots of capping power. A stuka that can come about 3-5 mins after the 120 hard-counters it.

This is a l2p issue.

In Team games I said. just try it, i was surprised but it´s actually working.
9 Mar 2015, 12:17 PM

i dont see the point of this thread
9 Mar 2015, 13:00 PM

i dont see the point of this thread

He discovered a new strat and wanted to share it. Leave him be. :D
9 Mar 2015, 15:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Keep spamming 120mm till you see how later you get owned by not having a proper army.
9 Mar 2015, 17:11 PM

I've started to play CoH2 shortly before WFA release.

I usually play 4v4 format with random players or AT with 1-2 friends.
I know, that in smaller formats game dynamics are different, but I will talk about unit counters and timings, which are pretty much the same, just scaled a bit, usually because of caches.

I've tried all factions a bit except OKW (I really hate that abomination, still I've playtested it in compstomp just to know costs, units and abilities)
I play mostly vanilla factions, because I like the combined arms route they supposed to play.

Soviets is my favorite faction ATM.
I've tried many strats while being noob (cons spam->call-ins, T1->T2, T1->T4, T1->call-ins, T2->call-ins, pretty much every combination with many commanders).

I've tried using multiple 120mm mortars as a way to destroy OKW forward HQs, but I've found out that it works only when you are playing against noob opponent. A single 120mm mortar is a big investment by itself, but getting two or more of them means that competent OKW player is gonna stomp your army with his infantry and force you to mass retreat over and over again. Meanwhile they will be holding fuel long enouth to get Wurfrahmen and Panther.

My conclusion about 120mm mortars in team games:
- a single 120mm is really good against Wermacht, because it outrange their mortars and capable of cleaning all those bunkers, MGs and grens, which have to stand still in order to fire their LMG42
- while mortar is a good option to destroy OKW HQs, their army is too mobile (no weapon crews - no AT guns, no MGs) and usually don't get hit by mortars

Now let me tell you what I've find out recently about team games (mostly 4v4) as Soviets and what REALLY IS NOT FUNNY...

In team games with randoms there is struggle against kubels. Always.
I've found out that M3A1 is really good and reliable way to counter kubel and to inflict occasional squadwipe or even two. So I've played mostly through T1 start.

Yeah, most of my games as soviets I was a sniperwhore. I've tried different army compositions - cons, guards, penals with 2,3,4 snipers. I've stopped at number of 2. It is balanced between safety, firepower and meatshield thickness.
With early M3A1 flamecar and sniper behind flamepenals I was able to go through almost any defences. I even had no problems with obers, unless there are 3 squads of them.

But I had to tech T2, because Luchs was always obliterated me. Luchs chased my army right to my base, raping it almost completely.
I've tried to communicate with my teammates about early AT defences.
I've tried to tech AT nades, plant mines at cost of penal flamers, but none of this helped to kill that damn thing consistently. And while it is still around, you can't use your snipers at full strength.

Even Puma is a threat to your snipers, while also being a hardcounter to flamecar. It completely shuts down your T1-only play.

So, you HAVE to tech T2 after T1 just to get that AT gun. Add it to cost of snipers, penals and all those HQ upgrades as healing and AT nades and you get so much strain on your manpower so you aren't allowed to make mistakes like losing squads or just 1st models of snipers.

But yesterday I've decided to follow meta - I've upgraded to T2 maximspam -> shocks -> IS-2
And you know what? I've jumped in 4v4 soviet ladder from 2k to 45th position!
Suddenly my skill jumped like 8000%.

It is so stupidly easy on open maps to push OKW BEHIND their HQ (with a little help of your ally) and just kill it by direct fire of AT gun!
And on urban maps (or urban PARTS of maps) you can just garrison couple of buildings and it's done! They can't do anything about it except maybe those ultracheap Infiltration nades. But with little experience those could be dodged most of the time.

And if OKW player got his Flak HT early - you already have access to counter to it right there without any additional costs!

TL;DR:

About Soviet strategy in team games (4v4, particulary)
- 120mm mortars are crippling your infantry strength too much while don't helping much against mobile OKW infantry, which, in hands of competent player, means you will constantly get pushed back
- T1 is generally bad idea, because OKW Mech HQ counters it completely
- T2 into call-ins, sadly, is way to go - Maximspam is just too good against OKW, while OK against Wermacht if you add other options (mortar, cons). Sometimes you just able to destroy that first FHQ with AT gun.

I really tried to make it short.
/discuss
9 Mar 2015, 17:26 PM
Donator 11

things

I love your signature :D
9 Mar 2015, 19:12 PM

Hey,

I found a great strategy to win as soviet in team games. 2 or 3 120mm Mortars to squad wipe and destroy OKW´s FHQ and....it´s not funny.

Yesterday I played against particulary unpleasant axis Players.

I really love this game, but i don´t want to use shitty tactics to win against assholes. there is no fun in that.

yes. you are right... same to me...
9 Mar 2015, 19:17 PM

- 120mm mortars are crippling your infantry strenght too much while don't helping much against mobile OKW infantry, which, in hands of competent player, means you will constantly get pushed back
- T1 is generally bad idea, because OKW Mech HQ counters it completely

Snipers say your wrong, OKW has no mortar to kill them and the sniper's can just kite the enemy blob.

Sniping squads is a very easy way to put the drain on your OKW opponent, and make them regret their choices in life.

And the 120mm can wrack up an insane kill count, it's peerless when it comes to pushing fortified positions or messing up Schwers.
9 Mar 2015, 19:44 PM

Snipers say your wrong, OKW has no mortar to kill them and the sniper's can just kite the enemy blob.

Sniping squads is a very easy way to put the drain on your OKW opponent, and make them regret their choices in life.

And the 120mm can wrack up an insane kill count, it's peerless when it comes to pushing fortified positions or messing up Schwers.

Ok. That's your opinion and I'm totally OK with you having it.

My experience tells me otherwise and sorry, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I tend to belive things that I actually see happening in game, not some sort of imaginations of some guy on the internet.
9 Mar 2015, 19:46 PM

Ok. That's your opinion and I'm totally OK with you having it.

My experience tells me otherwise and sorry, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I tend to belive things that I actually see happening in game, not some sort of imaginations of some guy on the internet.

Sniping is a very good way to fuck your opponent up, it's actually the best infantry counter to Obers in the game.

Both Snipers and Scout Car rushes tend to take a fair bit of micro, so I see why most players would be adverse to it.
9 Mar 2015, 19:59 PM

I love the dual sniper play against OKW in 2 vs 2. I find that guards can fend off most light vehicles from OKW and even luchs some times, especially with a little help from a couple of conscript at-nades. The last 3 games i played in 2 vs 2 as soviet i went Con -> Con -> Con-> T1 -> Flamer -> Scout Car -> Sniper -> Guards -> Sniper -> T3 -> T70 or 34. This has been going great for me.

I mostly play 1 on 1 though and can't get the dual snipers to work at all there, get too little map control and get pushed too easily with squishy meat shield.
9 Mar 2015, 20:00 PM

Yeah snipers don't work in 1's, but in team games (which the thread is about) work wonders. Especially when you have a nice meaty USF blob to protect you.
9 Mar 2015, 20:02 PM

Sniping is a very good way to fuck your opponent up, it's actually the best infantry counter to Obers in the game.

Both Snipers and Scout Car rushes tend to take a fair bit of micro, so I see why most players would be adverse to it.

Ok.
9 Mar 2015, 20:03 PM

To OP;.

Just stuka the pudding out of 120mm mortars...
9 Mar 2015, 20:05 PM

To OP;.

Just stuka the pudding out of 120mm mortars...

You know you can move mortars before the stuka barrage hit's right?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★