Login

russian armor

Exploratory comparaison between Video Games & Online Poker

18 May 2013, 15:45 PM

For my thesis research, I'm asking you guys if you could spend 10 minutes to answer my questionnaire about the motivations and the hedonic attitudes of video games/online poker players.

Questionnaire

edit: if any of you guys play online poker/betting could you please share the websites you're using on the topic so I can look into their forums.

Thanks
18 May 2013, 16:27 PM

Hey Pepsi,

There is a huge online community around exchange based betting sites. The big one in Europe is Betfair. The idea is you can place a bet for and against an event which allows a host of different strategies to be played to manage your risk. A lot of the guys online use pseudo-statistics and probability but over the last few years with the boom in Poker and sites like Betfair normal retail guys have got a lot more sophisticated and now are closer to mimicking financial entities that deal copious amounts of securities.

Then of course there are the regular Las Vegas type of betters who gamble with an element of risk management ideas. I say gamble, but with their astronomical wealth of knowledge of say a sport is unthinkable to us casuals, they would say they have an edge.

Lastly we have nabs who bet every game week for their chosen sport/event. Some for a punt to make a quick buck, some of the joy of a gamble etc etc.

So some sites:

Slightly more sophistacted betting found here: http://www.geekstoy.com/

I use this application to some times trade on trends in large sporting events that attracts lots of bets, check their forum, (this means I open and close my "bet" before the event even starts)

Guys who take their betting on sports slightly more serious than the average guy: http://forum.sbrforum.com/

And for anyone else who bothered to read this and wants a nice noob friendly intro to risk managing betting check out this site:

http://drbobsports.com/essays.cfm?cat=0

Disclaimer: I am in no way liable for nabs blowing their grandparents inheritance on sports bets.

18 May 2013, 16:30 PM

Thanks a lot Amonsot. I'll look into it asap.

edit: the thing is, the answers I got so far are all from ttv and almost nobody play poker or betting on there. Your link will give me some more answers with different points of view.
18 May 2013, 17:04 PM

A fuck. Wrote a long post only to lose it in IE.

Summary:

1. Online betting industry is very close to perfectly competitive
Need to have your shit together when talking about it.

2. It relates and behaves now very closes to financial money markets.

3. A few summers ago I saw a Bloomberg headline for the first ever hedge fund with 100% endowment in sports markets. They produced an investment product that they said beat competitors by 8-12 percentage points. This is aint a game son.

4. Betfair, Paddypower, Bwin have turnover in the billions. This aint no game son.

5. So since betting is so similar to money markets, the same vulnerabilities apply.
My main concern bringing together competitive pc gaming and betting would be integrity and transparency of the market you create. Think what the SEC, FSA do. Think all the shit Fifa, uefa, local FAs go through in football.

6. A good recent case to look at is the Italian Serie A scandal. Jail, murders, fines, stripped championships, relegation etc etc. This is not for fair play, but for the integrity of sports betting markets.

18 May 2013, 17:16 PM

I've been banned from both forums for collecting email addresses, jizzzz
18 May 2013, 17:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2013, 17:16 PMPepsi
I've been banned from both forums for collecting email addresses, jizzzz

LOL What?! How where you getting the email addresses?
18 May 2013, 17:46 PM

there is a "email" anwser option on my survey ^^ more for a poll prize than for some shit spamm.
20 May 2013, 05:04 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2013, 17:46 PMPepsi
there is a "email" anwser option on my survey ^^ more for a poll prize than for some shit spamm.

put exactly how your going to use the email in the survey and make it optional, or don't put it in there at all. otherwise frankly you deserve to get banned. also "its more for a prize pool" means yea its for the prize pool but im gonna sell your emails anyways because profit. :rolleyes:
20 May 2013, 13:15 PM

Survey needs updates. Please add a "not relevant"-field for both video games and poker as I don't play poker at all.
20 May 2013, 22:36 PM

Well, neither agree or disagree does the trick. And btw, that's not because you don't play poker that you shouldn't have an opinion about it !
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★