Login

russian armor

CoH2 uninstalled itself

19 Feb 2015, 20:43 PM

Well, like the title says, the game now shows "install" instead of "play" (obviously meaning I've had it installed and been playing it previously), and when I click install, it wants 36GB hard drive space for the installation. I checked my steam folder, the game is still there (about 17GB). Has this happened to anyone else at some point? I'm just confused to what happened now, as if I were to download presumably 36GB, it will take days to do as I can only download at night time (I get shaped otherwise because of cap, ..because of where I'm from..)

So bottom line, has anyone ever experienced something like this and know a possible way to fix it? How does the game just suddenly become uninstalled according to Steam anyway?
19 Feb 2015, 20:46 PM

Maybe the game has developed self-aware AI...and felt shame at the current state of the multiplayer and decided to terminate itself...that's my professional opinion.
19 Feb 2015, 21:14 PM

Have you done a virus scan? I think you may have the 289_A.fungkiip.backdoor trojanne, but I'm not sure. Definitely worth scanning for, though.

Basically, it will uninstall random programmes (including games in your Steam directory) if you ALT - TAB or ALT - F4 enough. Not sure why; maybe Janne will know.

More info here: http://www.pctools.com/mrc/infections/

Hope that helps.
19 Feb 2015, 21:33 PM

It might be sign from the God!
19 Feb 2015, 21:40 PM

Happened to me once. ALL my games were suddenly "uninstalled", even though the game files still existed in their directories.

The fix was simple; I clicked on install on one of the games. As soon as it started installing, it found the pre-existing game files, so I didn't actually have to download anything.
19 Feb 2015, 21:43 PM

This is probably the best bug patch to date.
19 Feb 2015, 23:10 PM

Maybe the game has developed self-aware AI...and felt shame at the current state of the multiplayer and decided to terminate itself...that's my professional opinion.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:
20 Feb 2015, 00:00 AM

Permanently Banned
Happened to me once with Arma 3
20 Feb 2015, 00:17 AM

Maybe its a sign from God
20 Feb 2015, 01:48 AM
Patrion 28

yeah, the game is telling you to take a break.
20 Feb 2015, 08:04 AM

Your professional opinion seems like something out of a perfect world ha (or maybe an annoying one, since I wouldn't want programs doing stuff on their own because they think it's for the best without my consent) either way good one!

Have you done a virus scan? I think you may have the 289_A.fungkiip.backdoor trojanne, but I'm not sure. Definitely worth scanning for, though.

Basically, it will uninstall random programmes (including games in your Steam directory) if you ALT - TAB or ALT - F4 enough. Not sure why; maybe Janne will know.

More info here: http://www.pctools.com/mrc/infections/

Hope that helps.

I am doing a full system virus scan at the moment, as well as for malware etc, will see what comes up, thanks for the info!

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2015, 21:40 PMKhan
Happened to me once. ALL my games were suddenly "uninstalled", even though the game files still existed in their directories.

The fix was simple; I clicked on install on one of the games. As soon as it started installing, it found the pre-existing game files, so I didn't actually have to download anything.

Yes, this is what I'm hoping for, will reply back when I've had the time to try this.

yeah, the game is telling you to take a break.

If the game is telling me to take a break then it's telling me to not play at all since I haven't been playing for a few weeks now

One thing that did happen, since I haven't played in a while, is Steam suddenly asking my password again when I logged on, thought nothing of it, it's been a while, and then Steam also wanted me to confirm my email address once I was logged on, also thought nothing of that, but then CoH2 was uninstalled, it's far fetched but I changed my password just in case. No other games on my account was uninstalled though.
20 Feb 2015, 08:37 AM
Patrion 28

on a more serious note, that is kind of odd and definitely worth doing a scan over. the only time i've ever had steam not find my installed games was when i reinstalled windows and since the files are all on my D drive, as rifles mentioned, steam didn't have to download anything. origin doesn't work that way unfortunately; had to redownload dead space 3 twice before i stopped playing it.
20 Feb 2015, 08:47 AM

happened to me too a few days ago.
Though my one year old girl was beating the keyboard just before it happened...
20 Feb 2015, 16:02 PM

Ok tried to install it, it said something like "detecting existing files", so I thought...good. Then when I returned it said it's busy downloading remaining files or something. I thought, well ok probably some patch or something, or fixing files. No, it seemingly deleted my 17GB Coh2 folder, kept 1.2GB of it that it decided is part of the "existing files", and now wants to download 15GB. I even checked HD space, no space gained from the now missing 15GB. So this results in a few nights of downloading for me now. I'm just going to get something else to play, probably just had an urge to play a skirmish anyway.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★