Login

russian armor

Ostheer - MG42

PAGES (29)down
15 Mar 2015, 22:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

But you can re target the maxim to hit another squad easily, the MG42 has to swivel.

Not without spotters you can't, any infantry squad moving to it out of its arc will get to it before it re-positions unless the infantry squad stopped getting microed.

Oh, I misinterpreted what you said, so here's a better answer - in my experience, in spite of the HMG 42's very poor horizontal traverse, it's not going to have any problem re-targeting things within the Maxim's arc of fire either.
15 Mar 2015, 23:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2015, 22:39 PMJaigen

Considering the weaknesses the mg42 has to the maxim it can only suppress one squad max . Thats a problem. Why bother with a mg that can suppress one unit tops. you can just as well take one extra gren squad.

Maxim is the MG that suppresses one squad at a time because compared to MG42 it have almost no aoe suppression.
So... yea, more bs from you.
15 Mar 2015, 23:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2015, 22:44 PMVuther

That sounds pretty much exactly like the Maxim...at least the 42 has some chance of suppressing a blob with spotters, the Maxim basically doesn't suppress blobs with how bad its AoE suppression is.

Im not talking about its aoe here. nobody is stupid enough to blob against a mg. what im talking about is that despite having a larger arch it can technically not use it. its suppression and gun traverse is to low . so when it comes to suppressing units that are spread out the mg42's performance is as good as the maxim's. yet the maxim has no tear down time is twice as fast with setup and doesnt need to face as many anti mg abilities.

So once the question can be asked why use the mg when you can have a gren squad.
15 Mar 2015, 23:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2015, 23:26 PMJaigen

Im not talking about its aoe here...what im talking about is that despite having a larger arch it can technically not use it. its suppression and gun traverse is to low . so when it comes to suppressing units that are spread out the mg42's performance is as good as the maxim's...

It would certainly be far more intuitive for the HMG42 to have better suppression with a much smaller arc of fire, the arc of fire increased with veterancy instead of quite as much suppression as it is now.
16 Mar 2015, 00:11 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I played a bit of ost today and payed very close attention to how my MG42s performed.

The MG42 only failed me when I didnt support it. When I had a decent force near it to spot and finish off threats,it was good. It suppressed..it didnt murder everything in sight instantly...but it made the engagement easier for me to win. It did its job reasonably well,not flawless,but well.

Some of you seem to want an MG42 that can just lock down a flank or angle all on its own,For 240 mp. Do you axis fanbois understand how ridiculous that is? 240 mp is NOTHING. Especially if grens get a buff along with tech cost reductions(which will certainly happen) Ost will go right from last,or 3rd, to first next patch. They are already damn good once you get out the mid game,IF you get out the mid game, and hold off the first 9cp Call in or early m20/sherman. TigerPak wall with LMG blob is not diverse or unique,but damn strong.

Use the MG42 in conjunction with other units at all times.. By itself its a POS, and will fail you. like EVERY OTHER MG IN THE GAME. NO FACTION HAS A GOOD LONE WOLF MG RIGHT NOW and they SHOULDNT. Not even soviets and the maxim,because a lone maxim against a larger or more expensive force is as dead as any other MG. When I see a lone MG or know theres a lone MG in the FOW as any faction I lick my chops. When I realize I left an MG alone,i curse myself and hope I dont lose it,or hope I get lucky and catch a squad walking into the arc. Like it should be.

When someone makes a large flank attack with more MP and resources invested than you and they succeed in their assault...then...what are you guys expecting to happen?

In that video that MG had no health,1 man, and there wasnt a supporting squad 2 screen lengths away. WTF were you expecting to happen!?? The one Hero of the Reich Defender of the Fatherland MG42 to just mow down the guards Audie Murphy Style?

Im sick of hearing that BS about squads just walking up to MG42s and wiping it 100% of the time. I NEVER DO THAT EVEN WITH SMOKE unless the mg is completely alone,and I should wipe it. Its an unsupported MG.

And blobs walking up and doing that are a different story,as again,every faction struggles with slowing down blobs with just MGs,not just OST. the thread title should be : Coh2-Blobs because THAT is the problem. if someone out flanks and outnumbers you with multiple squads they just out played you.

I Dont understand what you guys(ost fanbois) really want from an MG42 besides something that is totally OP and unfun to deal with.
16 Mar 2015, 00:34 AM

I played a bit of ost today and payed very close attention to how my MG42s performed.

The MG42 only failed me when I didnt support it. When I had a decent force near it to spot and finish off threats,it was good. It suppressed..it didnt murder everything in sight instantly...but it made the engagement easier for me to win. It did its job reasonably well,not flawless,but well.

Some of you seem to want an MG42 that can just lock down a flank or angle all on its own,For 240 mp. Do you axis fanbois understand how ridiculous that is? 240 mp is NOTHING. Especially if grens get a buff along with tech cost reductions(which will certainly happen) Ost will go right from last,or 3rd, to first next patch. They are already damn good once you get out the mid game,IF you get out the mid game, and hold off the first 9cp Call in or early m20/sherman. TigerPak wall with LMG blob is not diverse or unique,but damn strong.

Use the MG42 in conjunction with other units at all times.. By itself its a POS, and will fail you. like EVERY OTHER MG IN THE GAME. NO FACTION HAS A GOOD LONE WOLF MG RIGHT NOW and they SHOULDNT. Not even soviets and the maxim,because a lone maxim against a larger or more expensive force is as dead as any other MG. When I see a lone MG or know theres a lone MG in the FOW as any faction I lick my chops. When I realize I left an MG alone,i curse myself and hope I dont lose it,or hope I get lucky and catch a squad walking into the arc. Like it should be.

When someone makes a large flank attack with more MP and resources invested than you and they succeed in their assault...then...what are you guys expecting to happen?

In that video that MG had no health,1 man, and there wasnt a supporting squad 2 screen lengths away. WTF were you expecting to happen!?? The one Hero of the Reich Defender of the Fatherland MG42 to just mow down the guards Audie Murphy Style?

Im sick of hearing that BS about squads just walking up to MG42s and wiping it 100% of the time. I NEVER DO THAT EVEN WITH SMOKE unless the mg is completely alone,and I should wipe it. Its an unsupported MG.

And blobs walking up and doing that are a different story,as again,every faction struggles with slowing down blobs with just MGs,not just OST. the thread title should be : Coh2-Blobs because THAT is the problem. if someone out flanks and outnumbers you with multiple squads they just out played you.

I Dont understand what you guys(ost fanbois) really want from an MG42 besides something that is totally OP and unfun to deal with.

Serious question: do you know what maxim spam is?
16 Mar 2015, 00:40 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Serious question: do you know what maxim spam is?

Serious question:Do you know what reading is? When i mentioned the maxim I said a "LONE unsupported maxim against a larger more expensive force" not overlapping maxim spam,which is obviously powerful,until proper early indirect fire(which ostheer of COURSE doesnt lack since they have the best counter to maxim spam/MG spam in the game) comes along. and lone maxim on its own trying to hold a flank is a flaming POS like every other LONE MG in coh2.
16 Mar 2015, 00:51 AM

No one does unsupported mg42,if it was as cool as u say after one game ost wouldn't be such shit.Its helpless vs both conscript orrah and smoke.And also suppressed squads wipe it for fun with nade.I'm sick of allied fanboys trying desperately and using every excuse in the book to keep ostheer dead.I'm tired of american infantry pushing grens for fun,then light vehicle reign of terror,followed by unkillable para blob and p-47 skillplane,jackson 3 shotting armoor,squads getting one shotted and what not.Its disgusting.Just disgusting..and even more disgusting watching these shameless usf fanboys defending their autowins.American riflemen in current state vs grenadiers is cheat unit.
16 Mar 2015, 01:06 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

First off,get a grip,this is about MGs. Second

The games I played I was Oorah'd, Con Spammed, molotov'd whatever...and it net NOTHING in the end because I made 100% sure my MG42s were never alone.. It was just a part of the big picture. and if your grens are just getting murked by rifles all the time,put an MG42 nearby to HELP not getting stomped, How fair would it be if ost could spread out,each 240 MP unit beating 280mp units. and cap the entire map early on. They'd then have the Early,Mid,and late game. Ive played against and consistently LOSE against good ost players that either know how to position their grens or use the MG42.

3rd. Show me video evidence where a supported MG42 just gets walked up on and rekt when the numbers on both sides are even. It just doesnt happen.
16 Mar 2015, 01:13 AM

Permanently Banned
No one does unsupported mg42,if it was as cool as u say after one game ost wouldn't be such shit.Its helpless vs both conscript orrah and smoke.And also suppressed squads wipe it for fun with nade.I'm sick of allied fanboys trying desperately and using every excuse in the book to keep ostheer dead.I'm tired of american infantry pushing grens for fun,then light vehicle reign of terror,followed by unkillable para blob and p-47 skillplane,jackson 3 shotting armoor,squads getting one shotted and what not.Its disgusting.Just disgusting..and even more disgusting watching these shameless usf fanboys defending their autowins.American riflemen in current state vs grenadiers is cheat unit.

This is due to a more complex issue I'm afraid. I will try to be clear. The riflemen squad by itself is actually not bad, similar to the obersoldaten squads. The mg42 is a little UP, but the gravest problem which also has to do with american light vehicles is the fact that okw and usf has such a resource advantage in terms of manpower or the worth they get for their manpower. These factions were not balanced well in terms of how they get resources compared to say the ostheer. IMO obersoldaten are just fine in terms of combat effectiveness. What I have a problem is that its too easy to get a pair or even 3 squads of obers. As well as the free mg34 they spawn with. Whats the fix? Making the lmg34 cost 90 munitions while lowering manpower by like 20-30, obersoldaten squads need to be effective like they are now, but not common. USF and okw have there mainline infantry in t0 and are not required to build any buildings early on and can rush the field immediately. Compared to ostheer who has to build its buildings and has less units than a USF player while said units are worse than riflemen. This of course coupled with mg42 being bad, g43 upgrade not actually being as good as people think but more just fun. 222 being garbage, sniper being unreliable, etc. you get the point. Its a a complex issue that has both problems with units as well as resources.

These things of course change over the course of the game but is wholly the same. Just more units and teching added to the mix. A change is needed in all factions both how the factions deploy there units through teching and resources/price. As well as the units performance relative to their opponents. I'm speaking primarily about the early game, but what I'm, saying applies to the rest of the pace of the game. An issue like this is very easy to screw up, something I'm confident relic can't and won't fix properly. I hope I was somewhat clear.
16 Mar 2015, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

This is due to a more complex issue I'm afraid. I will try to be clear. The riflemen squad by itself is actually not bad, similar to the obersoldaten squads. The mg42 is a little UP, but the gravest problem which also has to do with american light vehicles is the fact that okw and usf has such a resource advantage in terms of manpower or the worth they get for their manpower.

Yeah, I'd really say it's better to fix the early-game manpower/unit count between USF and Wehrmacht before we mess with the rest of it very much. The units Wehrmacht has for it aren't SU-76 awful (aside from the Sniper dying when something breathes on him).
16 Mar 2015, 01:58 AM

Serious question:Do you know what reading is? When i mentioned the maxim I said a "LONE unsupported maxim against a larger more expensive force" not overlapping maxim spam,which is obviously powerful,until proper early indirect fire(which ostheer of COURSE doesnt lack since they have the best counter to maxim spam/MG spam in the game) comes along. and lone maxim on its own trying to hold a flank is a flaming POS like every other LONE MG in coh2.

You can spam maxims like nuts and get away with it, you cannot spam MG34/42's and get away with it. The maxim's mobility combined with it's durability allow it to function as basically just another mainline infantry unit instead of a support weapon.

Are there counters to maxim spam? Yes, but they are far more involved than counter to MG42/34 which is just attack it with more than one unit, or just crawling up to it and nading it.
16 Mar 2015, 02:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2015, 01:31 AMVuther

Yeah, I'd really say it's better to fix the early-game manpower/unit count between USF and Wehrmacht before we mess with the rest of it very much. The units Wehrmacht has for it aren't SU-76 awful (aside from the Sniper dying when something breathes on him).

I wish this was true. half of the ostheer stock is under performing for cost mg42 included. BTW early game is usf vs ost is not nearly as bad some people think it is. a quick upgrade with a flammenwerfer will set a lot of things straight.
16 Mar 2015, 02:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2015, 22:41 PMJaigen

You didn't remember because it never happened. and if you are still convinced they happened then i want the a truckload of the stuff you are smoking.

The folks playing in late 2013 know and will remember it. Cheers though. That 10% additional suppression bulletin? Pure gold back in the day.
16 Mar 2015, 02:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2015, 02:03 AMNapalm

The folks playing in late 2013 know and will remember it. Cheers though. That 10% additional suppression bulletin? Pure gold back in the day.

MG42 spam was pretty novel because it was around the same time the ISU got it buff and the minute everyone hit 12 CP it was squad wipe city :snfPeter:

Ultimately it was stupid then when you could spam it, and it's more than possible to make it a better blob deterrent now with out making it spammable. I mean, the maxim is more than spammable now and nobody gives a shit.
16 Mar 2015, 03:05 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Far more involved? That can be said about any MG. I love maxim spammers as ost. Free win. From the beginning of the game,checking sov base splats for T2. you already know whats coming. Such lovely design. Immediately when I see that im going 2-3 grens and a mortar which counters the garden out of maxims AND t2. If im OKW then eh maybe im shaking in my boots a little. maybe.

I will then get flamers on my pios as well for any maxims in buildings, tech up,and im gonna riflenade your maxims from the front. 10-20 min GG. Its even lulzier if CAS/ostruppen muni spam is involved. Now a Con or two for every maxim isnt spamming maxims.

If you dont like being limited to 1 VP 1 fuel keeping all your stuff nearby eachother until you're strong enough to break out, then...dont play ost 1v1 right now. No one is forcing a gun to your head to play ost. You can still get your german krupp steel blonde hair blue eyes ubersoldaten fetish taken care of with OKW.

And no one is stopping you from taking a break until Ostheer is OP,which im fully expecting this next patch thanks to all these tears. from how weak ostheer units are,when its just MECHANICAL ISSUES WITH COH2 ITSELF WHICH CAUSES OSTHEERS PROBLEMS. THEIR UNITS ARE FINE FOR THE MOST PART(222,Pgrens,Werfer and sniper could use a buff thanks to their counterparts being better and overshadowing them) EVERY MG IN THE GAME is getting naded,sniped,smoked and stolen from the front from one infantry squad. Its not FUN FOR ANYONE. Ostheer is far from being the only faction with issues.

but its the way it is,and the best way you can avoid this is support and spot for your shit to alleviate this particular issue,or baseline infantry spam,or QUIT until the games patched(2 WEEKS!!!) I for one am sick of these ridiculous buff ost threads. most of OST IS FINE. The basic game mechanics are not fine,and thats what ost relies on the most.
16 Mar 2015, 03:17 AM

i go mg42 heavy with supporting gren in 2v2s. works pretty well considering i used it almost exclusively to climb from rank 100 onward.
16 Mar 2015, 03:19 AM

Most people want to see Ost fixed because Relic is physically in capable of making good maps.

Saying "Oh Ostheer is amazing it only sucks because all the maps do" is like saying "Oh you are such a amazing person, but you suck at everything that has to do with life".

And mortars are in no way a counter to a perfect maxim spammer, and nades aren't either because if you listen to your units you can just pack the MG up and move it before the rifle nade hits, and the 6 men allow it to handle indirect fire far easier.

Maxim spam countering requires much more thought and experience to counter than it does to pull off, not to mention maxim spamming may be weaker versus Ostheer but it can easily wipe OKW off the map early game because it makes the Kubel useless.

You can maxim spam and kick ass, you can't spam any other MG in the game and kick ass, the defense rests its case.

16 Mar 2015, 03:44 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I dont know who you're maxim spamming and having great success against,probably some rank one million with your stacked AT. I would never try maxim spam against a good player/group of good players even if i was high on drugs and drunk off my ass. It'll get you embarrassed,and likely rekt On-Stream in front of hundreds. youll be pinned in your base like a spamming idiot 5 mins into the game,"unless you play purfuct" lol good luck with that.

What you're saying is maxim spam is good against people that dont use thought and have experience. and yes it is good against OKW if you get unlucky and your flak HT hits a mine and has a destroyed engine in front of a bunch of field guns,or it strangles you so bad you cant get T4. Anything cheesy is good against OKW early on. You can choose how you're gonna cheese them until they get stupidly powerful.

And Proof in the pudding Ostheer fanbois,a top 5 2v2 player across all factions thinks that MULTIPLE MG42s is good enough to incorporate into their build. What more do you need?

16 Mar 2015, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2015, 02:03 AMNapalm

There was no spam back then either . and the mg was in my opinion balanced. because it actually suppressed. of course the bulletin needed to be removed.

Cookiezncreem

Maxim spam has been significantly reduced. but their was a time that grens did not enough damage to really threaten a maxim. and neither do riflenades did any damage back then. it was a huge problem where the very best ostheer players struggled against a semi competent maxim spammer.

And Proof in the pudding Ostheer fanbois,a top 5 2v2 player across all factions thinks that MULTIPLE MG42s is good enough to incorporate into their build. What more do you need?

That proves shit. right now the most useless unit within the okw unit is the support gun. and even i use because its sometimes needed to dislodge somebody out of a building. that it is used doesnt mean its good or balanced.
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS