Login

russian armor

Ostheer - MG42

PAGES (29)down
6 Mar 2015, 08:32 AM

As far as i've experienced the mg42 i can say it's not bad. The only problem i have all the time are the rifles. Running them over with cons isn't something new and it's more or less intended. The rifles will close in, get surpressed in granade range, they will throw a grenade or a smoke nade. If you retreat the mg it wil bunch up and die most likely because of the frag grenade, if you are trying to soft retreat it, you'll pack it up and until it's set up again the rifle isn't surpressed and as soon as your mg could shoot again the rifle is already besides your mg. That's the problem i've experienced most times. I won't complain about the rifle blobs because it's op and it's not the point of the discussion here.

I see solution to the problem in making them suffer more than you. Hit them with riflenade as soon as they get suppressed to ensure they won't dodge it.
6 Mar 2015, 17:40 PM

Permanently Banned

MG-42 costing more would mean that you will have 1 less squad to protect it, which means that this precious "buffed" machinegun will turn against you, upgraded to 6-man squad.

Still waiting for vids with MG-42 underperforming.

Thats the whole point, so you can make the mg42 a centerpiece for your strategy rather than being support. Still waiting on vids? Lemme guess you don't play ostheer? Strictly allies or just only okw when you play axis? The mg42 I'd say is only effective against units clumped up or units in no cover. The mg42 gets gunned down from 2 squads from the front or 1 if your close enough. Smoke nades render it useless, the squad bunching allows for 1 shot nades occasionally, and the fact that a squad can run straight through the side of the arc faster than the gunner can swivel the mg is is also a problem. Plus the whole two bursts to suppress isn't exactly uncommon. So you end up with a machine gun that seems formidable, but when you get down to it and actually not that great.

No actual dps except at point blank

Not very good in buildings

awful swivel time

Suppression slightly UP

Poor survivability due to squad bunching.

Hell the only thing this thing actually excels at is using the incendiary rounds. Everything else is mediocre to UP.
9 Mar 2015, 18:22 PM

I actually fear playing against guards more than shocks when I have MG's, Mostly because their grenade will squad wipe my vet MG before I can even pack up
9 Mar 2015, 18:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2015, 18:22 PMRollo
I actually fear playing against guards more than shocks when I have MG's, Mostly because their grenade will squad wipe my vet MG before I can even pack up

Shocks can do the same....
9 Mar 2015, 18:36 PM

It's not... in terms of stats they are identical except for the fact the mg34 has a lower rate of fire which in turn means it suppresses slower

I am quite sure he meant LMG34 and LMG42. What he said is true. Not only true, but hilarious. The wrong way.

The more I think about it the more retarded Relic appears to me.
9 Mar 2015, 18:39 PM

Shocks can do the same....

IIRC shocks' grenade is the weakest and guards' one is the strongest in the game.
9 Mar 2015, 21:06 PM

Running them over with cons isn't something new and it's more or less intended.

Hah,this bit of contempt was funny in a bittersweet sense.I guess popcornsprayer can spray only that much popcorn.
9 Mar 2015, 21:06 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

IIRC shocks' grenade is the weakest and guards' one is the strongest in the game.

Nah, if we're not including Molotovs, that's the Volks' Model 24. 0.5 less radius and 0.125 guaranteed one-shot radius than the Mk. II, same cost. Actually, Shocks' have the same AoE and damage as the Mk. II.
9 Mar 2015, 23:21 PM

Nope.

Just nope.

Too ammo hungry, too encumbering, ran too hot. Not in any way the best. Best =/= most dakka in a video game, but hey, video game reality ignoring contexts always make the over engineered inefficient German stuff look OH EM GEE GEWD, so no doubt that's enough for you, right?

Mg42 IRL wasn't some sort of godly gift

I didn't realize a 11Kg (25 lb) MG-42 was more encumbering than a 65Kg (140 lb) Maxim.

So ill break down the FACTS about the MG-42 to clear up your confusion:

The MG-42 is a GPMG that was innovative and had many design features that you still see in GPMG's today.

-It fired the 7.92x57mm mauser round that is roughly 15-20% stronger than the Russian 7.62x54mmR
And is roughly on par with the american 30.06. .303 British just didn't compare.

-It is a air cooled MG vastly reducing weight versus the water cooled Maxim.

-It swapped barrels in seconds with a trained crew, Furthermore the gunner did not have to get up to change the barrel he could do it from behind the gun so he wouldn't have to expose himself to enemy fire.

-Barrel changes were done in 3-8 seconds. Barrel and lock was 30 seconds.

-MG-42 had roughly double the fire rate.

-German infantry doctrine was build around supporting MG's The 42 was the king suppression,
The allies had to make several propaganda films to try and discredit how good the 42 was..
There was no winning that. It is a excellent machine gun that is still used today by the Bundeswehr (MG3)

-It was the lightest General use MG of the war, Being only 11kg! (Vickers 15kg, Maxim 65kg, Browning 1919 14kg)

-400,000 MG-42's were made (Not counting the 34)

-MG-42 Fired from a Open bolt, Maxim fired from a closed bolt. (Open bolt is generally a better design trait for MG's due to cooling)

In real life, The MG-42 was the best MG of the war. Its very very hard to dispute this.
Germany did make many poor design decisions in the war, The MG-42 was not one of them
9 Mar 2015, 23:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I didn't realize a 11Kg (25 lb) MG-42 was more encumbering than a 65Kg (140 lb) Maxim.

If we're discussing the effects of weight on ease of use, I'm pretty sure being on a wheeled mount would have the Maxim win because you're not carrying the entire thing yourself. Of course, said wheels would certainly mess up planting it down easily on rougher terrain and areas.
9 Mar 2015, 23:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2015, 23:39 PMVuther

If we're discussing the effects of weight on ease of use, I'm pretty sure being on a wheeled mount would have the Maxim win because you're not carrying the entire thing yourself. Of course, said wheels would certainly mess up planting it down easily on rougher terrain and areas.

Try carrying that thing up a flight of stairs, Or if you had to evac a building you can't just pick it up and run.
9 Mar 2015, 23:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Try carrying that thing up a flight of stairs, Or if you had to evac a building you can't just pick it up and run.

Related to what I said, yes.

PM1910 Maxims definitely wouldn't be the best HMG to garrison in a large building with that taken in account. :p
10 Mar 2015, 00:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2015, 23:54 PMVuther

Related to what I said, yes.

PM1910 Maxims definitely wouldn't be the best HMG to garrison in a large building with that taken in account. :p

All i am saying is that the maxim had generally not very many positives when compared to the 42,
I say this from a design standpoint (Gotta give the maxim some credit it came 32 years before the 42)
And also from personal experience of firing both guns on a semi regular basis (About twice a year)
10 Mar 2015, 00:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

All i am saying is that the maxim had generally not very many positives when compared to the 42,
I say this from a design standpoint (Gotta give the maxim some credit it came 32 years before the 42)
And also from personal experience of firing both guns on a semi regular basis (About twice a year)

Yes, for actual gameplay, it would be difficult to both accurately represent the Maxim and give it advantages since its advantages were more for personal and logistical matters that the game would never hope to model (because who the hell wants their HMG crew to change water or barrels too?).

One could argue its lower fire-rate could justify its better single-target suppression with some modern findings that accurate fire is far more effective at suppressing experienced troops than less accurate and higher volumes of fire, but that would be a lot more arguable since accuracy would still come down to the gunner using it.
10 Mar 2015, 01:03 AM

Relative accuracy is a moot point when your fireing 2x as many rounds that have higher ballistic damage.

Not to mention if it did have a accuracy advantage over the 42 (Hasn't been my experience) the difference in accuracy would not be that extreme to overcome the 1/2 fire-rate.

Both rounds are more than capable of reaching over 1000m
So accuracy is kind of a moot point.
10 Mar 2015, 01:29 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yes, the theory isn't a very likely thing to apply to tripod-mounted HMGs (the findings relate to the Americans' development of the M27 IAR, a squad automatic weapon).
10 Mar 2015, 01:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2015, 01:29 AMVuther
Yes, the theory isn't a very likely thing to apply to tripod-mounted HMGs (the findings relate to the Americans' development of the M27 IAR, a squad automatic weapon).

The M27 IAR is just a Piston AR with optic and bigger magazine, More or less the same gun.
They are going back down the road that the Brits tried with the Bren, I feel like they might be disappointed in the end.

On topic;

The MG-42 along with the sniper kinda leaves something to be desired for the Wehrmacht early game, Especially when facing rifles with smoke. It gets decrewed too fast, And is useless in buildings.
I think just 15% more suppression would help it.
10 Mar 2015, 01:54 AM

The mg42 originally in coh was compared to other weapons a good representation of its battlefield performance. In coh2 originally it was intially the best mg in game.

But since coh2 is full of whiners it got nerfed into the pathetic form it now resides. They went way to far with the nerfing every aspect of the gun. And now it has all the disadvantages it had as originally designed plus all the added disadvantages they added in to please the lynch mob.

So now it doesn't perform it's job well in addition to the 90 year old men they replaced the crew with. According to Soviet players the mg42 is fine now, so it's probably beating a dead horse advocating for a buff.

The only choices left are, use it and be godly with it, use it poorly, or gren spam.
10 Mar 2015, 01:55 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

The mg42 originally in coh was compared to other weapons a good representation of its battlefield performance. In coh2 originally it was intially the best mg in game.

But since coh2 is full of whiners it got nerfed into the pathetic form it now resides. They went way to far with the nerfing every aspect of the gun. And now it has all the disadvantages it had as originally designed plus all the added disadvantages they added in to please the lynch mob.

So now it doesn't perform it's job well in addition to the 90 year old men they replaced the crew with. According to Soviet players the mg42 is fine now, so it's probably beating a dead horse advocating for a buff.

The only choices left are, use it and be godly with it, use it poorly, or gren spam.

Sounds like you're the whiner actually
10 Mar 2015, 02:13 AM
Patrion 14

when you see lmg gren blob or volks blob with obers or not, you'd kill for hmg42. sure it might be underperforming somewhat but some people are taking it too far when crying about it.

having AOE suppression is the biggest advantage imo. SOV just doesnt have one and USF's 50 cal has to be used ultra defensively. M15 AAHT is super nice though. its. AOE suppression is what makes that unit useful even to the latest of the late game imo.
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS