Login

russian armor

Custom commanders?

PAGES (8)down
5 Feb 2015, 15:32 PM
Patrion 14

Anyone else think abilities will be a Hearthstone-type deal? You buy a pack for ingame "supply" (i.e. playtime) or hard cash and you get X random abilities for a custom commander, with no explicit purchase of individual abilities?
5 Feb 2015, 15:45 PM

Anyone else think abilities will be a Hearthstone-type deal? You buy a pack for ingame "supply" (i.e. playtime) or hard cash and you get X random abilities for a custom commander, with no explicit purchase of individual abilities?

It thinks so, read my previous post.
5 Feb 2015, 15:46 PM
Patrion 14

all for custom commanders. if balanced and free.
5 Feb 2015, 15:53 PM

ShockTroops
Marked Vehicle
Bomb Strike
M4 Shermans C
Is2

Mu ha ha ha ha
5 Feb 2015, 16:03 PM

It would be interesting if custom commanders abilities were auto-tuned by popularity of usage (not just inclusion).

Your custom commander has a set # of points to spend on commanders abilities - say 20.

The more popular a commander ability is, the more expensive it becomes to include. If Tiger Ace is really OP and everyone starts using it, it's cost will increase to the point where including it in your commander layout cripples the overall ability of the commander. At the same time, if people stop using something like allied mortar half-track, it becomes a bargain to add it to your custom commander.
5 Feb 2015, 16:14 PM

I don't think relic can be that stupid to implement custom commanders in a a way some of you guys describe it.
That would just screw balance worse than we could imagine and would render every commanders released so far useless.
5 Feb 2015, 16:20 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2015, 16:03 PMdbmb
It would be interesting if custom commanders abilities were auto-tuned by popularity of usage (not just inclusion).

Your custom commander has a set # of points to spend on commanders abilities - say 20.

The more popular a commander ability is, the more expensive it becomes to include. If Tiger Ace is really OP and everyone starts using it, it's cost will increase to the point where including it in your commander layout cripples the overall ability of the commander. At the same time, if people stop using something like allied mortar half-track, it becomes a bargain to add it to your custom commander.
This is a brilliant idea and if only someone at Relic would listen it would singlehandedly transform whatever Custom Commanders are into a system unparalleled in the current world of RTS.

I can picture it now :
"Korps supplies overstretched III: +3 points cost to include in loadout, comes 1CP later"
"Abundant equipment: -1 point cost to include in loadout, comes 1CP earlier, ability costs 15% less ammo to use"

This would effectively let the community balance the commander abilities and ensure no ability is ever overpowered (unless Relic has another one of their DEEEERP TIGUR ACE!!11 moments).

The more an ability is overused, the more expensive it will become, until even its OPness will not be enough to justify its inclusion and people will start dropping it from their loadouts, thus stabilizing its cost in a sort of supply / demand market graph.
5 Feb 2015, 16:32 PM

I don't think relic can be that stupid to implement custom commanders in a a way some of you guys describe it.
That would just screw balance worse than we could imagine and would render every commanders released so far useless.

If relic thought us one thing, its to NEVER underestimate their power of making completely unreasonable or plain retarded decisions.
5 Feb 2015, 17:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2015, 16:03 PMdbmb

One problem I see with that is what if a build becomes popular but not because its op, just because it's all useful together. The changing cost would effectively make that build impossible.
5 Feb 2015, 17:06 PM

I am sure it would be balanced in such a way as there are so many of each type you can load out in a custom commander.

Example 1 Infantry Call in, 1 Tank call in, 2-3 Muni abilities. And probably have an associated cost to their level. Example no more than 1 Legendary or 2 Rares. That sort of thing.

At least if they are smart.
5 Feb 2015, 17:09 PM

I am sure it would be balanced in such a way as there are so many of each type you can load out in a custom commander.

Example 1 Infantry Call in, 1 Tank call in, 2-3 Muni abilities. And probably have an associated cost to their level. Example no more than 1 Legendary or 2 Rares. That sort of thing.

At least if they are smart.
I think 1 inf/med tank and one heavy tank should be the limit. Tanks like jagdtiger, tiger ace, elefant and isu, should take up both tank allowances.
5 Feb 2015, 17:14 PM

This is a brilliant idea and if only someone at Relic would listen it would singlehandedly transform whatever Custom Commanders are into a system unparalleled in the current world of RTS.

I can picture it now :
"Korps supplies overstretched III: +3 points cost to include in loadout, comes 1CP later"
"Abundant equipment: -1 point cost to include in loadout, comes 1CP earlier, ability costs 15% less ammo to use"

This would effectively let the community balance the commander abilities and ensure no ability is ever overpowered (unless Relic has another one of their DEEEERP TIGUR ACE!!11 moments).

The more an ability is overused, the more expensive it will become, until even its OPness will not be enough to justify its inclusion and people will start dropping it from their loadouts, thus stabilizing its cost in a sort of supply / demand market graph.
But then when everyone unequips it wont the price just drop again?
5 Feb 2015, 17:15 PM

I think 1 inf/med tank and one heavy tank should be the limit. Tanks like jagdtiger, tiger ace, elefant and isu, should take up both tank allowances.

Yeah I am sure your right. And to add more speculation there will probably be some sort of drawback to using a customer commander over a standard one. For example if we assume T34/85 Pair is Legendary and Mark Vehicle is Legendary then you can have one or the other not both. Unlike Guards motor for example.

There have been games with custom load outs before and this is more or less how they were balanced. It makes it impossible to cherry pick the best and makes the boiler plate builds still viable.
5 Feb 2015, 17:29 PM
Patrion 14

But then when everyone unequips it wont the price just drop again?
Yes, but people will notice it dropping and will think it is worth it after all and will equip it again and it will oscillate up/down a bit until it reaches a state of equilibrium which will be directly proportional to the perceived power of the said ability.

Something like this:

Even if Relic misjudges the price of an ability initially, overuse or underuse by players will bring it to more or less its natural level, if such mechanisms are provided by Relic (tweaking CP cost, "point cost" of inclusion in loadout, muni cost to cast, manpower/fuel cost to call in based on over- or underusage)
5 Feb 2015, 17:40 PM

I think custom commanders would be fun. They could be limited to custom games only. At least it would spice up the gameplay.
5 Feb 2015, 17:47 PM

This could be a lot of fun if implemented correctly. Custom crafting doctrines? yes please.
5 Feb 2015, 18:02 PM

They don't have much to lose. The last time I played coh2 (maybe 6-7 months ago) the game balance was not really "on" since you had to use a few distinct commanders to compete. What's the worst that can happen?

That being said... I welcome the change if it's implemented in an intelligent way.

Since coh2 doesn't have anything it does better than coh1 (my opinion... RELAX) it would give me a reason (as a fan of the franchise) to switch between the two games. I primarily still play the first game and have no reason to play the second. The commander customization would make the game stand out and offer a feature that doesn't exist in COH1 and would likely lure me into coming back for some casual coh2 gaming.

Yea, I said it, this game is not going to be competitive, or so it seems, but it could still be fun which is totally possible with the way they are panning out their decisions. It's not this nightmare scenario this community makes it out to be.

Whenever there are big changes there's always someone freaking out. Just let them do what they want and lets see how it goes. At the end of the day you have no control regardless and I guarantee relic gets tired of these hyper negative remarks about everything they do. Let the game developers develop a game, chill out, and try to have some fun... that is in essence what gaming is about.
5 Feb 2015, 18:33 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Compstompers dream... Competitives nightmare :P
5 Feb 2015, 18:44 PM
Patrion 310

Initially just limit it to non-ranked games and it should be fine. Besides most soviet/OH commanders are not good in competitive games so no reason to repeat the same mistake with OKW/USF.
5 Feb 2015, 19:20 PM

Since coh2 doesn't have anything it does better than coh1...

:D

You'll fit in round here, Austin. Good to see you again.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS