Login

russian armor

Decal system coming soon

5 Feb 2015, 23:45 PM
Coder Red Badge

There won't be custom designs because your opponents won't be able to see them. CoH2 isn't a client-server game like CS/TF2, at its core it's still a peer-to-peer game, which means every player is going to need artwork for every decal on their hard drives.

It's going to be just like skins are now, and just like skins in games like CSGO and Dota 2. You'll be able to submit designs to the workshop, and if Relic likes them they'll add them to the game for everyone to buy/use. When modding becomes more robust you might be able to create custom decals, but those will only be viewable to you because your opponents won't have the artwork to view them. The only decals you'll be able to use that your opponents will be able to see are decals Relic has released or approved from the workshop.
6 Feb 2015, 00:03 AM

I would assume there will be decals for every foreign army that fought for each faction. To create the immersion that you are controlling soldiers of that nation instead of requesting for a specific commander to add special elements of a foreign army,

6 Feb 2015, 02:35 AM
Patrion 28

dow2 had support for custom decals and they were viewable by everyone else. they just sent them before the match started. i don't think relic is going to do that though.
6 Feb 2015, 02:39 AM
Coder Red Badge

The following lines lead me to believe that they will be adopting a more Steam Workshop oriented approach...

"Are you sure you want to publish this item to the Steam Workshop? This item will be curated by Relic before potentially being added to the game."

This was followed by a "Developer Curated" specification. It would make a lot of sense to use the workshop for skins and decals. You engage the community, get free content to sell, and give community members the chance to earn a bit of cash for their art.
6 Feb 2015, 02:47 AM
Patrion 28

yeah, i'm just saying they did allow custom decals in dow2 and they worked fine. the only thing that didn't work was custom colours on DLC colour schemes.
6 Feb 2015, 07:37 AM

In the ninja changes stopped was a change in the P4 model used, id hazard a guess this is to better accommodate a decal..

The model change is completely unrelated. Adding decals to the old Panzer IV would have happened automatically because the old Panzer IV already had decal spots (balkenkreuz's and etc). Plus adding Ost camouflages to the new Panzer model and making a stubby gun version is much more work than just altering decal locations.

Seeing as Ostheer's old Panzer IV (as well as multiple other vehicles) was ripped straight from CoH1 with slight updates, Relic probably sought wanted to replace it with the higher quality OKW Panzer IV model. Personally my only problem with that is the OKW version is ever so slightly smaller, and the high quality makes it stand-out among units like the Flakpanzer or Brummbar which are supposed to be built on the same chassis.
6 Feb 2015, 07:49 AM

They can always do what bf 4 did with emblems or cod black ops
6 Feb 2015, 07:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2015, 07:49 AMVIPUKS
They can always do what bf 4 did with emblems or cod black ops

Dear god, please no. If BF4 taught me anything about custom decals, it's that if left unchecked, 95% of players will have some variation of a penis or an anime chick.
6 Feb 2015, 07:58 AM

Do we know if the decal will be more like a skin or a simple tag?

Honestly, if it is fun to customize a bit his army once (like in DOW), I don't see a real market/viable market on a RTS game like that.
Models are too small, that would only be visible without zooming on super Heavies...

But I might be wrong :D
6 Feb 2015, 08:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2015, 07:54 AMEnkidu

Dear god, please no. If BF4 taught me anything about custom decals, it's that if left unchecked, 95% of players will have some variation of a penis or an anime chick.

I don't mind anime emblems on my tigers. Girls und panzer anime <444>3
6 Feb 2015, 08:47 AM

From what I remember in DoW2 you could set in the options if you want to see decals from other players. That would be a possibility for CoH2 as well - you can put whatever you like as a decal just for yourself, but the other players don't have to see it.
6 Feb 2015, 08:54 AM

I don't think that being a Queen and dreaming at penises everywhere is a constructive thinking B-)
6 Feb 2015, 12:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2015, 22:19 PMnigo
decal > balance :p

This post is the kind of bullshit attitude that has to go away. And all of you others that can't fucking recieve a new feat without bitching. You seriously need to take a break.
6 Feb 2015, 12:49 PM
Senior Editor Badge

This post is the kind of bullshit attitude that has to go away. And all of you others that can't fucking recieve a new feat without bitching. You seriously need to take a break.

6 Feb 2015, 12:56 PM

That's what this forum is all about, feedback, criticism and suggestions, why the garden we need to stop posting !?

If the community stops "bitching", Relic will never know if it's screwing things up or going in the right direction.

And even if they are making the right choices, there still needs to be criticism, because there's always room for improvement, we can't just settle with everything they throw at us.
6 Feb 2015, 15:05 PM

That's what this forum is all about, feedback, criticism and suggestions, why the garden we need to stop posting !?

So you would classify his post as...criticism? As in the unconstructive, bad blood kind?
6 Feb 2015, 15:13 PM

Can I have Penis decals on all my tanks plz? :D

Especially for the T-34, brings the definition of rear rams to a whole new level! :O

Admittedly I am no artist, but I think this is basically what you're after:

Please give feedback in English, not some weird Mauri script. Thanks.
6 Feb 2015, 15:43 PM

Admittedly I am no artist, but I think this is basically what you're after:

Please give feedback in English, not some weird Mauri script. Thanks.

I love how this artwork encapsulates me trying to control nature, however you can never control nature.

It truly reflects my relationship with Company of Heroes 2. I always seek to control the game but RNG determines otherwise. No matter how much you try RNG eventually screws you in the ass, just like the dickhead deer.

I hope Relic considers this for their premium signature decal range. Some high end work Mandead.
6 Feb 2015, 15:52 PM

I hope Relic considers this for their premium signature decal range. Some high end work Mandead.

Kind words indeed, Stephen. Many thanks.

I'll put in a request today, along with my next set of vehicle skins. If the current trend continues, you should see these in the game next February or March. Have patience, brother.
6 Feb 2015, 16:16 PM
Patrion 14

before the patch, usf summer and winter skin looked the same in the inventory. but now, the winter version looks like it has snow "decal" effect on the bottom half. looks like that is how decals are gonna work.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★