Login

russian armor

did the ESL get cancelled ? (officially)

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
3 Feb 2015, 14:31 PM

when was the last real patch ? (November ?)

just wondering if the ESL got cancelled. if it was, that is actually good news. it should show that relic realizes the horrible state that coh2 is in, and they don't want to embarrass themselves any more than necessary.

3 Feb 2015, 14:33 PM
Coder Red Badge

ESL cancelled their dedicated CoH2 division and moved it to their "Older Games" aggregated division, but the bigger ESL tournament that was announced earlier likely hasn't been cancelled. Relic is paying them to do it, so they'll do it regardless of the state of the game. It's a marketing ploy, they just want to get more eyes on the game.
3 Feb 2015, 14:37 PM

ESL cancelled their dedicated CoH2 division and moved it to their "Older Games" aggregated division, but the bigger ESL tournament that was announced earlier likely hasn't been cancelled. Relic is paying them to do it, so they'll do it regardless of the state of the game. It's a marketing ploy, they just want to get more eyes on the game.

Tks for the insight
3 Feb 2015, 15:16 PM
Benefactor 115

The Company of Heroes 2 section was closed down because activity was too low. There was at most one match per month played on the ladders and tournaments usually had about a 50% no show rate.

I also ran the section on my own, doing all the promotional work, making the tournaments and being the only person there on the day to sort everything out. It was really draining and I got a lot more grief than I wanted because of it, especially with the really low turnout numbers.

The partnership Relic mentioned at gamescom, well only Relic know the full details about it. We just know they want to start a Go4 series but have been bumbling about with whatever they think they need to do before it can be started.

I personally think it's a big waste of money. The ESL section was barely used, it's not going to get much more use with some prize money involved. The first week will be really busy but after that the activity is going to nose dive.

TL: DR Only a tiny proportion of the player base care about competitive play and developer doesn't really care for it. They are just doing this partnership because apparently it's the cool thing to do now a days.
3 Feb 2015, 15:23 PM
Coder Red Badge

My thinking is they're betting on a LAN finals attracting attention from people because of the novelty factor. If this is an online-only league it's going to be completely pointless.
3 Feb 2015, 15:23 PM

If even Ipkai, as the only guy promoting Coh2 in ESL thinks its a bum deal. And at reported 1match per month on ladder, and 50%attrition in tourneys, with a forum and game status relegated to "old", certainly sounds like full of fail.

Would be better then to allocate whatever funds can be redeemed from around the contract, for a tournament here in partnership with coh2.org instead.

The forum community is here, the viewer community is here, the casting community is here, the staff and experience for holding coh2 tournaments is here.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me in terms of cost/benefit.
3 Feb 2015, 15:30 PM
Benefactor 115

No nullist that's not what I mean.

The player base at large genuinely does not want to take part in competitive events and that's fair enough. The game caters do loads of different people. What I get annoyed at is the people talking about how they want competition when in actuality they want a nice in game ladder and what they consider a fair game online once a day or once a week even.

You could do the same program on coh2.org and it would be the same thing happening with low turnout after week one and I can bet that Ami would have to run the whole deal on his own and he's gonna be pissed off.
3 Feb 2015, 15:33 PM

May not have been what you meant, but it is what can readily be concluded and inferred from it.

I dont see why Ami would have to run it on his own. He has the entire staff here, and you.

Certainly turnout would he higher from here, than what you report from ESL. Both in players, as well as viewers

And why would he be pissed off to be granted access to prize money and Relic backing such as was promised to ESL?
Not sure what you mean by that.
3 Feb 2015, 15:35 PM
Benefactor 115

Only in your twisted mind. Despite having lists and lists of staff, Ami had to run most of SNF5 on his own, the same will happen with any other big series and thus will get pretty pissed off. It was so hard for him to get co-casters on the day, he had to do most of the art and a lot of the bracket running on the day. Lastly Ami doesn't have me, I'm done with the game.
3 Feb 2015, 15:39 PM

Only in your twisted mind... Lastly Ami doesn't have me, I'm done with the game.

Thanks for the insult, Mr."I handled ESL alone and my result is 1ladder per month and 50%attrition".

Fine. Ami cant count in you. Your call.
But neither can ESL. Infact theyve got NOBODY, alongside no community and no streamers.

Sucks to hear Ami has such a hard time getting staff to support, but nonetheless there is far more potential here, than in the zero representation/potential ESL. Sure, it will involve hard work, but its not everyday you get to promote a game and your site for such an enormous pot of cash prizes.

Relic would be better off salvaging what they can and hosting it in partnership with coh2.org, for reasons stated previously.

Here, atleast hundreds of viewers, maybe even a thousand, can be expected.
On ESL? Would barely register as a blip. Who the hell would even organize/commentate/stream it there?
3 Feb 2015, 16:12 PM
Benefactor 115

My thinking is they're betting on a LAN finals attracting attention from people because of the novelty factor. If this is an online-only league it's going to be completely pointless.
It depends if there is money allocated to pay for travel expenses. If not it will be online only all the way.
3 Feb 2015, 16:13 PM
Coder Red Badge

If it's online only then I agree, it's a complete waste of money.
3 Feb 2015, 16:18 PM
Benefactor 115

with most Go4s the finals are fully online. Occasionally you might get a LAN final if say all the players are german and they can travel to Cologne out of their own pocket.
3 Feb 2015, 16:18 PM

Yeah, people are constantly talking about a competitive scene blablahblah but when it comes to participating in a tourney they either don't sign up at all or refuse to show up. I remember playing in a Esl 2v2 cup with only 4 teams participating lol. Same with observer mode. It's a pretty useless feature tbb considering that it's used by 1-2 people on average. Love all the forum warriors with their huge philosophical debates about a game that they don't even play on a semi decent level. This game never had the potential to be played competitive cuz there are not enough competent players. There are like 100 people who can play this game properly. And maybe 20 of them have the balls to play a tourney. The rest would be considered scrubs in most other games.

This makes me sound like an asshole but it's the CoH 2 reality.
3 Feb 2015, 16:28 PM
Coder Red Badge

A reason for the lack of competitive players is the simple fact that CoH2 doesn't really appeal to the type of person who would be willing to invest large amounts of time into a competitive game. Why play CoH2 when you can play Dota 2 or LoL or SC2 or CS and play a game that was specifically designed for competition?
3 Feb 2015, 16:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Feb 2015, 16:18 PMGiaA
Love all the forum warriors with their huge philosophical debates about a game that they don't even play on a semi decent level. This game never had the potential to be played competitive cuz there are not enough competent players. There are like 100 people who can play this game properly. And maybe 20 of them have the balls to play a tourney. The rest would be considered scrubs in most other games.

This makes me sound like an asshole but it's the CoH 2 reality.

Plz dont bully us scrubs. I enjoy the game and sometimes becomes a forumwarrior, I dont see anything wrong in that. Blaming the scrubs wont make this game more competive as most of those never had the intention to play on a higher level then they do. Plz be more creative.
3 Feb 2015, 16:40 PM
Donator 11

That's no true. I love coh but I feel like coh2 has large enough competitions like SnF as well as that rose cup thing that happened. ESL could be good but the game needs to be baleneced as well as having many strategies to make it fun to watch.

The high viewer count as well as putting it in a week where nothing else big is happening on twitch can lead to success.

I play a lot of coh and regardless of my skill I would love to see a 2v2 competition
3 Feb 2015, 16:59 PM

I'm not bullying anyone. I'm not blaming noobs either. there's obviously nothing wrong with being bad at a video game.

Snf had a ridiculous amount of no shows and 3 out of 4 quality tourneys weren't filled afaik.

3 Feb 2015, 17:11 PM

Chess is competetive. Chess is balanced.

I understand there are "competetive" players (meaning those who want to make a living playing) who approach a game from the perspective of which is most popular and lucrative, in terms of what to dedicate theirntime and effort to.

But.

There are however fking Minecraft players too who make a living simply off that.
Pewdiepie, doesnt have a competetive bone in his entire body.

If Relic has some spare thousands to drop on the game for promotion and advertisement, why not. Its the best product they have, regardless of whether it is considered "hip" by the co petetive community or not. You use what you have. Its readily clear, insofar as viewer numbers, that the balance/"designed competiviness" is not the bottom line.

Some people seem to be losing perspective of the larger picture.
Tournaments/streams are about entertainment value, not "competitiveness".

If it was only about an immaculate balance/competition quotient, we would all be watching chess.
And no, we aint. Why? Because its about as entertaining to the average viewer, as watching paint dry.
3 Feb 2015, 17:11 PM

In my opinion many players dont show up because they have either no time or think they arent skilled enough yet for a tournament.
Furthermore if we could get more streamers/viewers there would also be more 1vs1 players due to their awaked interest for competitive gameplay.(Btw thats why i started playing 1vs1)

Yet there is not enough interest in 2vs2/1vs1 because the game is lacking ESL or regular events.
No incentive except for a more balanced match.

PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 16
Germany 18
United States 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L