Login

russian armor

Cynthia statement about the first 2015 stream

17 Jan 2015, 22:11 PM
Senior Editor Badge

by cynthia, about the stream

We're never going to be able to answer all of the questions we get, straight away. Some information has to be revealed in time, when it is appropriate. I fully understand that the community frequently disagrees on when the timing of something like this is 'right'.

Regarding custom hotkeys? We know it's something that the community wants.

You say that answers indicate things are 'implemented in the game without being thought through enough'. We receive a ton of criticism for acting too slowly or taking our time to work on something. To be frank, our team does not make laissez-faire decisions with our development regardless of perception.

What I was trying to convey is that there is a long list of features, changes and updates that we want to do for CoH2. We can't do everything at once. Our community frequently disagrees on which is 'top priority' and as a team we weigh conversations in forums, on social channels, and pull-in game data to make educated decisions on what is next and where we should be going. We receive a ton of requests. Factions? People want Brits, more Germans, South Pacific Stuff, Canadians, Italians... you name it, we get requests for it. Sometimes the data that we pull directly contradicts certain sentiments in forums. An easy example of this is the outcry regarding Ardennes Assault. The majority of our online community leans towards multi-player. However when we review game data, we have a significant single-player population. They generally choose to interact with our brand differently. This doesn't mean we shouldn't develop for them as well.

We are not the first game studio to use NDAs, and we won't be the last. Transparency differs greatly across studios as well. Do we think we've already hit the 'sweet spot' where we're being as transparent as possible? No. It's a process we are continually working on and striving to improve. There will always be studios more transparent than us. There will always be studios that are less transparent. We have to do what's right for us, and we acknowledge that this is a work in progress. No one is sitting here telling you that we think we're perfect at everything. However I'll flat out tell you we're never going to be able to give you a 'non-evasive answer' on every single question. Sometimes we don't even know the answer to a question right away - we have to take time to review, iterate, test out theories, and determine the right answer to something. Balance is a good example of that.

2014 was a very aggressive year for the CoH team, we shipped two projects which meant the team was in a near-permanent state of shipping and launching. The majority of our team didn't take vacations. The studio holiday at the end of 2014 was needed. 2015 has a lot in store for fans, and we're currently in heads-down mode working on a bunch of stuff. When we are ready to reveal what that stuff is, we will. In addition to game content, there are a lot of community initiatives currently in development. Further Q&A support? Already in development. Nothing happens as quickly as people think it does.

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/143553-my-opinion-about-todays-stream

Hey Havenco, thanks for the follow-up question We know there is a community desire surrounding these commanders, for sure! With timed-release content, we have to weigh things such as how to make it especially appealing and motivating for those that participated in the event, as well as how we handle requests from people that either were not able to participate in the original event, or perhaps joined our community/came into the franchise after the event. It's a balancing act - we do want to keep some content exclusive for certain activities, but understand the desire to have 'all of the things' in-game.

Regarding those specific commanders, that is something in discussion but I have nothing specific to update regarding their status just yet.

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/143542-twitch-stream-follow-up-question

17 Jan 2015, 22:22 PM

So what was the purpose of stream?
17 Jan 2015, 22:28 PM

we shipped two projects which meant the team was in a near-permanent state of shipping and launching

No relic, you shipped a single product split in two.

Beside, I can only be disgusted by the way they have been handling everything, from bug fixes to patches of even old games that if left alone, would be in a better state right now, to their Q&As, I mean seriously? yesterday they ignored everysingle questions that wasn't something generic or asnwered with "we'll move this to team X", "Bring it on the forums","Be more specific", the last one, was the answer when someone asked, what do you think of the MU between USF and OST?

Well I mean, that question isn't generic at all if you ask it to someone that has a clue of what they are doing, something relic obviously don't.
17 Jan 2015, 22:31 PM

Permanently Banned
17 Jan 2015, 22:32 PM

when the fuck is the balence patch? the game is not fun to play, i don't give a fuck about your commanders, obeserver mode, or anything
17 Jan 2015, 22:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 22:22 PMZtormi

Following G.R.R Martin leadership, creating hope and hype only to brutally murder it and laugh at us.
17 Jan 2015, 22:51 PM

All these things (stream, statements,...) are only confirming my decision, as also others their decision of leaving.

Relic doesnt know shit about how the gaminglandscape is in 2015, with streamers, youtubecontent, multiplayer and ambassadors playing a huge role.

Seriously, I can't even name one good decision they took. Without lieing.

This game man, wtf.
17 Jan 2015, 22:55 PM
Donator 11

... We receive a ton of criticism for acting too slowly or taking our time to work on something. To be frank, our team does not make laissez-faire decisions with our development regardless of perception.

Well...

Windustry. Tiger Ace commander. Assault Gren commander to name the most critical.

Are you suggesting these commanders are well thought out? Why did they get nerfed then?
17 Jan 2015, 22:59 PM

17 Jan 2015, 23:03 PM

This same old whine is also getting a bit tired. Yes, Relic does not live up to some people's expectations but is it really necessary to shout it everywhere possible?

If you don't link the game, take a break or quit. As simple as that. Why do people who are done with the game torchure themselves by reading about the game they dislike nowadays?

Or does it give some satisfaction to be able to say "I told you so"?
17 Jan 2015, 23:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 23:03 PMFlamee
This same old whine is also getting a bit tired. Yes, Relic does not live up to some people's expectations but is it really necessary to shout it everywhere possible?

If you don't link the game, take a break or quit. As simple as that. Why do people who are done with the game torchure themselves by reading about the game they dislike nowadays?

Or does it give some satisfaction to be able to say "I told you so"?

I dunno man, seems we're in another community low point, the 3rd low point in this community's history. Everybody's depressed and cynical, tensions are high as shit, etc.
17 Jan 2015, 23:19 PM
Patrion 28

because we hope it will improve...
A_E
17 Jan 2015, 23:20 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Seriously, I can't even name one good decision they took. Without lieing.

This game man, wtf.

How about implementing twitch functionality in game in 2013, obs mode and new UI in 2014. That's not supporting streaming and casting?

Relic's NDAs and secrecy are utter bullshit, I agree, but they have actually been implementing good features, and will probably continue to.
17 Jan 2015, 23:21 PM

fuck it... basically
17 Jan 2015, 23:23 PM

I dunno man, seems we're in another community low point, the 3rd low point in this community's history. Everybody's depressed and cynical, tensions are high as shit, etc.

On the upside thanks to the spamming of CoH2 steam sales our playerbase has dramatically barely increased compstomp levels. :snfPeter:
http://steamcharts.com/app/231430#3m

It's sad when this game has been on sale for the last 3 months and we've only achieved an active 1k plus more players for the game..........when we should've gotten at least 10k+ as the average.....it should tell you something about where the game is heading. I know it's not heading in the multiplayer direction thanks to #AA #JustRelicDecisions. :snfPeter: :snfQuinn:
17 Jan 2015, 23:24 PM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 22:22 PMZtormi

There was no purpose - it was just stream of Relic people playing the game. It coincidentally happened when the multiplayer community was nerd-raging for a patch to completely rework OKW etc.

It was unlucky timing, which made it seem to us like a an opportunity to converse. Our mistake.

CoH2 is a slow-burn franchise (from a multiplayer perspective). At least Relic has the balls to sometimes totally rework stuff, but they need way more time than this, if we are to hope for OKW rework (despite the "absolutely brilliant" suggestions I see here on the forum).

Rather than expect a quick wonder-patch just because CoH2.org is getting upset, we'll just have to play another game until Relic has the time to deliver a quality patch.
A_E
17 Jan 2015, 23:28 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Biggest bullshit one for me is over custom hotkeys, fans have been asking for this for nine years, Relic at the highest level must have some serious dislike for the ability to have custom hotkeys. Or they must have such a boner for their ingenious choices of letters they don't want people to have a choice.

It's the simplest thing in the world to implement, it's copy and paste script job. Would take one programmer 20 minutes.
17 Jan 2015, 23:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 22:11 PMnigo
by cynthia, about the stream

...We receive a ton of requests. Factions? People want Brits, more Germans, South Pacific Stuff, Canadians, Italians... you name it, we get requests for it...

AHAHAH, let's ask for a Poney faction, maybe it will come in their next apologize.
17 Jan 2015, 23:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 22:37 PMKatitof

Following J.R.R Martin leadership, creating hope and hype only to brutally murder it and laugh at us.

katitof you son of a bitch! your bug avatar, i thought it was real and i almost fooked my precious Alienware :snfBarton:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★