Login

russian armor

Losing by VPs

14 Jan 2015, 15:18 PM

I'm new as OKW in 1v1 and I must do something wrong.
70% of mu losts defeats are because of VPs.
In late game I'm wrecking my opponent but I can't win because he has too big advantage in VPs.
It's very frustrating when you enemy is spamming everything just to take point and win while I have really nice army yet still I'm losing by VPs.

Any tactical ideas how to prevent this?
14 Jan 2015, 15:32 PM

I play OKW like I play Soviets in 1v1, spread out and attack multiple fronts. A shrek Volk and an Ober can be a deadly 2 unit team to capture a side point and drive off any defender.

OKW doesn't play the defensive game as well as other factions, due to their "mortar"(The IeG)being a PoS. Plus no non-doctrinal MG and a very short range and not durable AT Gun (Raketen).

So I find that they work best as a mobile assault force, don't blob, but rather spread out along a front and focus fire on the most deadly units. Have Volks with shrecks attack tanks, Obers and Sturms attack weapon crews or Shocks and have Luchs flank enemy positions.

If you are used to being more passive like with Ostheer, you will find the VP drain too high a hill to climb as OKW. Be aggressive and be aggressive from multiple angles.
14 Jan 2015, 15:42 PM

Stop trying to push their base and just hold 2 VP's even if they have a lead you will win if you sit on 2VP's for long enough, and try to decap/cap the third with a unit or two.

Most games are won by successfully holding Fuel + Muni + 2VP's and successfully harrassing your opponents or their cut off.
14 Jan 2015, 15:43 PM

I play OKW like I play Soviets in 1v1, spread out and attack multiple fronts. A shrek Volk and an Ober can be a deadly 2 unit team to capture a side point and drive off any defender.

OKW doesn't play the defensive game as well as other factions, due to their "mortar"(The IeG)being a PoS. Plus no non-doctrinal MG and a very short range and not durable AT Gun (Raketen).

So I find that they work best as a mobile assault force, don't blob, but rather spread out along a front and focus fire on the most deadly units. Have Volks with shrecks attack tanks, Obers and Sturms attack weapon crews or Shocks and have Luchs flank enemy positions.

If you are used to being more passive like with Ostheer, you will find the VP drain too high a hill to climb as OKW. Be aggressive and be aggressive from multiple angles.

I find aggressive tactic as something I'm not used to.
Maybe that's why I love fortification doctrine.
14 Jan 2015, 16:09 PM

I find aggressive tactic as something I'm not used to.

you'll get used to lose then
14 Jan 2015, 17:23 PM

I'm new as OKW in 1v1 and I must do something wrong.
70% of mu losts defeats are because of VPs.
In late game I'm wrecking my opponent but I can't win because he has too big advantage in VPs.
It's very frustrating when you enemy is spamming everything just to take point and win while I have really nice army yet still I'm losing by VPs.

Any tactical ideas how to prevent this?

IF you have fortification doctrine plant smines with obers and build a bunker behind it with MG.. you ahve a static defesne to delay his cap while you can converge on him :)
14 Jan 2015, 19:07 PM

I am like you, i like to take it easy and build up a force before attacking but it just won't work in 1 vs 1 and especially not with OKW. You need to keep your opponent on his toes all the time.

Keeping momentum is crucial but i find it really hard. I guess it comes with practice.
14 Jan 2015, 21:05 PM

I am like you, i like to take it easy and build up a force before attacking but it just won't work in 1 vs 1 and especially not with OKW. You need to keep your opponent on his toes all the time.

Keeping momentum is crucial but i find it really hard. I guess it comes with practice.

It really does. I like 2v2 more than 1v1 due to being able to actually play defensive, but randoms make that mode so bad. I have found that I am used to pushing an attack away then falling back(because I was used to the second opponent sending his attack wave next).

What I have found is even with half health 2 model squads you should still push ahead and cap points. You don't want to lose squads, but constantly retreating damaged squads(even after a successful fight), but with points not captured will lead to defeat.
14 Jan 2015, 21:33 PM

Permanently Banned
Victory Points: OKW's one weakness.
15 Jan 2015, 04:19 AM

but constantly retreating damaged squads(even after a successful fight), but with points not captured will lead to defeat.

He is spot on if you lost to VPs this might be what you are doing wrong.
15 Jan 2015, 07:50 AM

[...]

[...]

Wrong. OKW doesn't play defensive because doesn't need to.

All of their units are exceptionaly mobile. They just don't need to use MGs or AT guns like, for example, soviets do. They have it on infantry units (volkschreks for AT and obers for AI) which don't have drawbacks of restricted arc of fire, setup time or inability to retreat (even raketen can retreat and therefore most of the time can escape flanking).

If something went wrong you can just retreat to forward base and it won't punish you much because you can get back in fight in a matter of seconds. This have especially big influence on large maps in bigger game modes like 4v4, where retreating to base sector is very punishing.

Why play risky using team weapons that susceptible to flanking, when you can use mobile units that can flank?
15 Jan 2015, 13:04 PM

Wrong. OKW doesn't play defensive because doesn't need to.

All of their units are exceptionaly mobile. They just don't need to use MGs or AT guns like, for example, soviets do. They have it on infantry units (volkschreks for AT and obers for AI) which don't have drawbacks of restricted arc of fire, setup time or inability to retreat (even raketen can retreat and therefore most of the time can escape flanking).

If something went wrong you can just retreat to forward base and it won't punish you much because you can get back in fight in a matter of seconds. This have especially big influence on large maps in bigger game modes like 4v4, where retreating to base sector is very punishing.

Why play risky using team weapons that susceptible to flanking, when you can use mobile units that can flank?

1v1 is a WAY different ball game then 4v4. I have played all the game modes and I can tell you things that are a standard in team modes get you beat in 1v1. First off the attention required is a lot more, because you have to cover 3 VPs, fuel point, and muni point(need those Shreks). If you are forced to retreat on one front you can't expect an ally to immediately counter-attack and take it back, sometimes you have to give up on that side and completely refocus elsewhere.

Another point is a lone MG34 or Raketen, guarding a side, can get wiped in seconds while you are fighting on another front. Flanks are much tougher to cover in 1v1, because you don't have a team mate there. In team games OKW can play a great defensive game, because you only have to guard half or a third of the map but in 1v1 (unless you go Fortifications doc) their defensive play is much more limited due to the vulnerability of flanks and player's attention.

Also Soviets don't HAVE to play the defensive game either, Con swarms and Shocks can roll over lines of Volks with ease. Obers can shore up that line quite a bit, but one good Molotov or grenade and Obers run for the hills(due to small squad size). The Maxim, 120M, and Zis however give them much better static options for mid to late game defensive play over the MG34, ISG, and Raketen. I don't even need to mention how Riflemen can just A-Move through enemy lines.

My point is that holding VPs with defensive play as OKW is much harder than with other factions. You need to be more aggressive.
10 Feb 2015, 10:53 AM

Can I get any pro OKW replay? I just lost 4 games in a row because of VPs and I'm gardening pissed!!
4 Mar 2015, 10:48 AM

I'm going off on a hunch here but I suspect you are not capitalizing on OKW's mid-game units, such as the Flak Halftrack and Puma. Puma can shut down anything that is not a heavy tank; it is an excellent unit and you should play with it instead of waiting up for your large army.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 95

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight