Login

russian armor

OKW sdkfz 251/17 Flak Halftrack

6 Jan 2015, 12:05 PM

Andy why exactly should this gun be unable to shoot at groundtargets? Highexplosive fragmentation rounds are pretty nasty vs soft targets.

What else would you like to have? a faction that consists of worn down infanftry, a few trucks and horses, some at-guns, p4 stug and panther exclusively? Not exactly fun to play...

It's a game get over it.

This gun is able to shoot ground because it's the most rare version of this truck.
It's incredibly stupid to design as stock unit, a unit that only 12 were made!
Such units should be only doctrinal.
Panzer III for example. There are plenty options to switch flak truck with something common.
6 Jan 2015, 12:23 PM

Will this stuff shoot down the P47, even the Tier3 Flak Base and Base AA can't stop the P47 raping my commander panther.......finger crossed for not crashing on my stuff after the P47 was shoot down, I have a P47 fever now LOL
6 Jan 2015, 12:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jan 2015, 12:23 PMUGBEAR
Will this stuff shoot down the P47, even the Tier3 Flak Base and Base AA can't stop the P47 raping my commander panther.......finger crossed for not crashing on my stuff after the P47 was shoot down, I have a P47 fever now LOL

Well tbh, it does shoot down the P47/IL2 fairly often, at least more consistantly than any other AA unit that I am aware of....
6 Jan 2015, 12:32 PM

It's dangerous, but it's alright, the OKW flaktruck, now that needs looking at.
6 Jan 2015, 12:32 PM

At this point I think the only OKW unit players haven't created a complaint thread about is the IR Halftrack........yet.
6 Jan 2015, 12:34 PM

At this point I think the only OKW unit players haven't created a complaint thread about is the IR Halftrack........yet.
Virtually non-existant.
6 Jan 2015, 12:35 PM

This gun is able to shoot ground because it's the most rare version of this truck.
It's incredibly stupid to design as stock unit, a unit that only 12 were made!
Such units should be only doctrinal.
Panzer III for example. There are plenty options to switch flak truck with something common.

Panzer III was not common at all at the stage OKW is supposed to represent and was basically only used as a command/recovery or training vehicle.
Halftruck/Tank chassis flak mounts were however widely used, if indeed not the 251 variant, for example look this up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd.Kfz._7
6 Jan 2015, 12:36 PM

Probably because its the only unit that wasn't released as batshit OP.
That and puppchen.
6 Jan 2015, 12:38 PM

Im not complaining about its power.
I'm saying it's stupid that such rare unit is non-doctrinal.
Maybe give USF doctrinal T26 Pershing? It was so common...

Panzer III was not common at all at the stage OKW is supposed to represent and was basically only used as a command/recovery or training vehicle.
Halftruck/Tank chassis flak mounts were however widely used, if indeed not the 251 variant, for example look this up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd.Kfz._7

And Luchs was common?
Not to mentiom Sturmtiger.
Someone in Relic's HQ most love germans units :D
6 Jan 2015, 12:41 PM

That and puppchen.
Next patch, infrared searchlight range extended to 1500 units. :snfBarton:
6 Jan 2015, 12:47 PM

Im not complaining about its power.
I'm saying it's stupid that such rare unit is non-doctrinal.
Maybe give USF doctrinal T26 Pershing? It was so common...

And Luchs was common?
Not to mentiom Sturmtiger.
Someone in Relic's HQ most love germans units :D

Its a videogame after all, so I really dont see the problem. Of course Relic (as I guess do most of the clientele that plays a game like this) like exotic stuff with fancy names. As somebody has already alluded to, the "actual" late 1944, "mainstream" Wehrmacht of old men and half-children with their horses, bolt-action rifles and assortment of outdated French/Russian artillery would not make for the most exciting gameplay.
6 Jan 2015, 12:53 PM

That and puppchen.

Püppchen was complained about quite alot - justifiably so I might add - when it had a, what, 300 % damage bonus from camo and almost 2 shot IS-2s...
6 Jan 2015, 12:58 PM

Its a videogame after all, so I really dont see the problem. Of course Relic (as I guess do most of the clientele that plays a game like this) like exotic stuff with fancy names. As somebody has already alluded to, the "actual" late 1944 Wehrmacht of old men and half-children with their horses, bolt-action rifles and assortment of outdated French/Russian artillery would not make for the most exciting gameplay.

This^.
The historical argument has been done to death and proven time and again to be a worthless argument. This is a GAME, not REALITY.

This halftrack is one of the most fragile light vehicles IN THE GAME. It dies from one ATG shot and an AT nade. Shoot with Zis while Oorah and throwing AT nade with Cons. Combined arms will win the day!
6 Jan 2015, 12:59 PM

Püppchen was complained about quite alot - justifiably so I might add - when it had a, what, 300 % damage bonus from camo and almost 2 shot IS-2s...

Ah, right, completely forgot about one shotting mediums :snfPeter:

So trade that for call-in P4s.
6 Jan 2015, 13:00 PM

You're wrong. http://www.coh2.org/topic/19380/map-hac-er-i-mean-searchlight

Every unit of every faction had its op thread. That just shows that players will always blame the game / enemy faction rather than their own skill when it comes to balance.

I honestly think balance only inflicts top 50 1vs1 players. Everything above that is skill, micro & macro.

Concerning the Flak Halftrack. It's finally usuable since they removed the tear down. It's not op. it's a good blob controller, nerf/remove it and you will see more & more blobbing.
I honestly think the us forces one is better since you can chase and wipe on retreat with that.
6 Jan 2015, 13:01 PM

Its a videogame after all, so I really dont see the problem. Of course Relic (as I guess do most of the clientele that plays a game like this) like exotic stuff with fancy names. As somebody has already alluded to, the "actual" late 1944 Wehrmacht of old men and half-children with their horses, bolt-action rifles and assortment of outdated French/Russian artillery would not make for the most exciting gameplay.

Yes, but why only OKW has exciting units? Flak truck, Stuka zu fuss, Luchs, Sturmtiger, Jadgtiger, King Tiger... All of these are amazing units, very rare, very powerful and they give you a lot of fun when using them. They are different, highly specialized, sometimes OP as garden but the joy is unmeasurable.
On the other hand US Forces have boring Sherman, boring Scott, boring Stuart... Shermans, Shermans all day long.
Where is Pershing? Super Pershing(:drool:), Hellcat, Calliope?

Funny fact: Only 12 game verions of flak truck were made, 18 Sturmtiger, 137 Luchs, wonder about stuka zu fuss.. Can't find... 79 Jadgtiger, 44 Ostwinds. Only one of them is doctrinal (Ostwind is non doc for Ost).
On the other hand we have over 2000 Pershings, 25 Super Pershings and 27 M26E5 Pershing with 102-279mm armor. I guess Calliope and Pershing would provide a lot of fun like OKW units.

This halftrack is one of the most fragile light vehicles IN THE GAME. It dies from one ATG shot and an AT nade. Shoot with Zis while Oorah and throwing AT nade with Cons. Combined arms will win the day!

320HP. AA truck, T70 and Stuart also have 320 but hey! They don't have smoke.
6 Jan 2015, 13:03 PM

6 Jan 2015, 13:32 PM
Patrion 14

1. They should simply have given OKW a durable HMG half-track as a suppression platform, not the Iron Storm death-ray on wheels. I loved the PE MG halfie and the Wehr version that let you load a MG team into it.

2. My current take-down for this unit is a multi-directional attack with infantry, usually 1 cons and 2 penals. Drop satchel charge. Retreat. The bug-out time on the halfie is slower than the fuse on the charge.

Boom.

I've destroyed the half track every time. Once it was abandoned / recoverable but only once. RNG.
6 Jan 2015, 13:42 PM

It's not OP. It's fine, because:

1. It has a setup time, so you can see it comming and have plenty of time to duck/run;
2. It can be easily wrecked by a few PTRS/AT nades shots, not speaking about anything higher than that (like AT gun for instance).
3. It involves a certain quantity of risk because: it's more easy to be destroyed than a Puma or a PZ II and on top of that, it really delays your puma/wurframen, T4, or any other fuel based unit, you name it.

...4... not everything OKW has it's OP, really :D.
6 Jan 2015, 13:47 PM
Patrion 14

I don't think it's OP, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need a gentle nudge with the nerf bat. It should cost a bit more fuel perhaps, as your point 3 is well-founded it's still a relatively cheap unit. It also scales very well with Vet.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★