Login

russian armor

100% subjective review of AA

6 Dec 2014, 21:51 PM

Games have been getting cheaper over the years, not more expensive, so your comparison to other industries holds no water. MAKING games, especially AAA games, have been getting more expensive to make, which is probably why AA is so expensive.

*looks at steam and all the 49,99 euro and higher games*

Umm, you sure?

I mean, sure, 2-3 year old titles are getting cheaper over the years, but fresh releases want to rape your wallet and rub it on your face.

Unless its 1531412th clone of terraria or minecraft then yea, these 'treasures' of gaming industry are cheaper.

It doesn't change the fact that Opposing Fronts offered much more bang for its buck, especially coming from the same developers.

True that, but then again, so did pretty much every expansion back then compared to what companies serve us today.

AAA rated game back then was cheaper then AAA rated game today.
6 Dec 2014, 21:53 PM

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this to anyone for $40. Absolutely not worth it.

Opinion? Yeah, whatever, but I'm pretty confident that it's true.
6 Dec 2014, 21:57 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Hopefully, there will be an authoritative guide out here soon- and it may well please all - well,at least - most of you. ;)
6 Dec 2014, 22:00 PM
Patrion 14

AA reminds me of the good old days when Relic introduced the strategic map in the campaign of DoW 1 Dark Crusade. It was brilliant. Seven total different armies were fighting for the control about the planet. You could play with each of them, the ai toke control over the rest. The ai conquered territory and fought you and the other ai´s. And each territory was important since the gave several boni like an unit for your honour guard or more resources. Sure, the most missions were just skirmishes (but the fights for a factions main fortress were really nice) and the howle story was text based but hey, it was new and it was cool.

In AA you got two armies, just one is playable. Your opponent does nothing. He is just there. Half of the missions are skirmishes. I really like the briefings and the missions intros. The kompanie system.. not sure about that. I feel it´s just there so you play more careful and don´t just spam the ai to death. It´s not a bad idea but it is not a good one either. For sure the DLC is way too expensive. The system itself is cool but Relic could have done way better as they did in the past.
6 Dec 2014, 22:02 PM

Games have been getting cheaper over the years, not more expensive, so your comparison to other industries holds no water. MAKING games, especially AAA games, have been getting more expensive to make, which is probably why AA is so expensive.

That makes no sense, you're saying games are getting cheaper but the cost of production is rising? That is not at all how economics works. The cost of games is not getting cheaper, the standard wasn't always $60.
6 Dec 2014, 22:16 PM

I hate it when every game developer did their work in this way.

Relic did their job exactly as this picture have shown.

Kojima (Metal Gear), Rockstar (GTA), Nintendo could be the only game industry still having conscience, making good games but not raping gamers' wallet.
6 Dec 2014, 23:13 PM

Kojima (Metal Gear), Rockstar (GTA), Nintendo could be the only game industry still having conscience, making good games but not raping gamers' wallet.

Agree with Rockstar, somewhat with Nintendo, but Kojima though...is succumbing to the greed.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes for $40-30! For a 2 hour stealth mission! For shame Kojima.

As for AA, not worth it. Missions are too boring overall and some are way too long and others too short.
6 Dec 2014, 23:39 PM

Agree with Rockstar, somewhat with Nintendo, but Kojima though...is succumbing to the greed.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes for $40-30! For a 2 hour stealth mission! For shame Kojima.

As for AA, not worth it. Missions are too boring overall and some are way too long and others too short.

Dunno GZ is that expensive, I got it with my PS4 with only a few bucks.
7 Dec 2014, 03:13 AM

Dunno GZ is that expensive, I got it with my PS4 with only a few bucks.

You got it after it came out at release it was $40 for the disc copy and $30 for download version.

Anyway the point is some game makers are making less and less content and charging more money for it. AA is $20 max, wait for a sale and even then, I would advertise only getting it for $10 and only if you REALLY like the USF faction.
7 Dec 2014, 03:41 AM

That makes no sense, you're saying games are getting cheaper but the cost of production is rising? That is not at all how economics works. The cost of games is not getting cheaper, the standard wasn't always $60.

No, they were even more expensive. I don't know how long you have been around the industry, but games used to cost 80-$100 in retail, not the $60 of today. Games on PC today are cheaper than ever, and with the rise of DLC content, and the fall of "expansion packs", addons are now priced around the 10-$20 range.

Making games IS getting more expensive. What MOST developers do to compensate this rise in cost, is to not take risks with new IP's and to make smaller packets of addon content which takes less dev time. Relic is trying to keep the old-school system of expansion packs, but the problem here is AA doesn't contain the content that justifies it.
7 Dec 2014, 10:01 AM

No, they were even more expensive. I don't know how long you have been around the industry, but games used to cost 80-$100 in retail, not the $60 of today. Games on PC today are cheaper than ever, and with the rise of DLC content, and the fall of "expansion packs", addons are now priced around the 10-$20 range.

Making games IS getting more expensive. What MOST developers do to compensate this rise in cost, is to not take risks with new IP's and to make smaller packets of addon content which takes less dev time. Relic is trying to keep the old-school system of expansion packs, but the problem here is AA doesn't contain the content that justifies it.

From 80s, I never saw a PC game or console game selling more 60 bucks (USD), you sure you weren't ripped off or scammed?
7 Dec 2014, 10:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

AA reminds me of the good old days when Relic introduced the strategic map in the campaign of DoW 1 Dark Crusade. It was brilliant. Seven total different armies were fighting for the control about the planet. You could play with each of them, the ai toke control over the rest. The ai conquered territory and fought you and the other ai´s. And each territory was important since the gave several boni like an unit for your honour guard or more resources. Sure, the most missions were just skirmishes (but the fights for a factions main fortress were really nice) and the howle story was text based but hey, it was new and it was cool.

Dark Crusade was awesome :D I was hoping Ardennes Assault was just going to be a COH version of Dark Crusade. It doesn't look like that is the case so I won't be getting it until the price comes down considerably, if at all.

With regard to the objectivity or subjectivity of reviews:

7 Dec 2014, 11:49 AM

coh is not a single player game, i don t like this kind of DLC single player.I will buy it when a big offer came out like 2 or 3 dollars and play it when server is down.
7 Dec 2014, 13:05 PM

coh is not a single player game

Must be why we have 2 campaigns and 4 ToW mission packs.

CoH2 is both, sp and mp and its up to you which part you play.
7 Dec 2014, 15:26 PM

The most well written wine thread i've ever had the misfortune of reading

Most stupid answer I ever read in my life.

Back to the topic. I think OP did good job on review since AA is just that.
7 Dec 2014, 17:50 PM

From 80s, I never saw a PC game or console game selling more 60 bucks (USD), you sure you weren't ripped off or scammed?

You should really do the research before making assumptions. Here is an article from 2013 that shows with graphs(inflation considered) the decline in cost of both disc and cartridge games.
7 Dec 2014, 20:16 PM

You should really do the research before making assumptions. Here is an article from 2013 that shows with graphs(inflation considered) the decline in cost of both disc and cartridge games.

Well, maybe it happened in US, but never in Asia.
100 bucks for a cartilage console was way too crazy. :foreveralone:
8 Dec 2014, 13:15 PM

That argument reminds me of people constantly remembering times when gas was 300% cheaper then it is now(talking europe).

I don't believe comparing prices to that from before 7 years have any validity, because just about everything, from bread to cars is more expensive then back then, games are no exception-7 years is quite a long time for world economy and the only games that cost as much as coh back then are horrible indie games I wouldn't want to wipe myself with not to mention play.

Be happy you're not forced to buy it just because you want to play mp.

kudos hahahaha :clap:
8 Dec 2014, 14:56 PM

If you played the Panzer Elite campaign of the first game, you may want to throw coins of 25 Euro in Relic dev face.

...which reminds me to ask Relic: why Ardennes Assault has just an USF campaign? How much more interesting was if it had a german capaign too?
Yes, indeed, the PE campaign was awsome, in general Coh1 campaigns were better.
8 Dec 2014, 15:36 PM

That argument reminds me of people constantly remembering times when gas was 300% cheaper then it is now(talking europe).

I don't believe comparing prices to that from before 7 years have any validity, because just about everything, from bread to cars is more expensive then back then, games are no exception-7 years is quite a long time for world economy and the only games that cost as much as coh back then are horrible indie games I wouldn't want to wipe myself with not to mention play.

Be happy you're not forced to buy it just because you want to play mp.

What trash are you talking??? Games have been getting cheaper and cheaper............. absolute garbage from you again.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS