russian armor

AA Review: It is a bit too easy

18 Nov 2014, 21:45 PM
Patrion 310

Micro and Unit Preservation. period.

Or maybe just because I'm two-digit ranking player lol

How many?
18 Nov 2014, 21:52 PM

i am two digit ranked player too. are you sure you pick the hard difficulty.
18 Nov 2014, 21:53 PM

if i try hard i can make it but you cant say you finish all missions without being defeated at all
18 Nov 2014, 23:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2014, 21:53 PMViento
if i try hard i can make it but you cant say you finish all missions without being defeated at all

Yes. I finished the campaign, didn't fail once

Did that only on Airborne/Ranger easy mode.
18 Nov 2014, 23:17 PM

Some missions are easy, some are hell.
18 Nov 2014, 23:27 PM

Permanently Banned
I actually think that some missions might be bugged as the difficulty varies so extremely. I know that there are sectors which are stronger than others but: Out of four missions i played 2 were quite challenging (for a single player campaign mission) and two were just...nothing at all.

Sitrep told me that the enemy was going to rely on snipers and heavy tanks and all the AI did was get single squads of volks and stormpioneers. I finished those missions with 2 ranger squads with maybe 2 soldiers lost...because there simply were hardly any opponent forces.

Im playing on hard difficulty btw. I love the mission design but some of them just really lack enemy units.
18 Nov 2014, 23:47 PM

The AI seems to heavily cheat at hard difficulty on some of the open VP missions. The one that involved picking up the air dropped supplies, for example, saw the AI produce 2 P4s, 3 vet 4 pumas, and at least another 3 AA Half tracks before I could produce a single Sherman when I controlled both of the fuel the entire game.

Needless to say it threw all those tanks away however since the AI doesn't appear to realize when it's vehicles are being shot by an AT gun sometimes.
19 Nov 2014, 00:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2014, 23:47 PMCabreza
The AI seems to heavily cheat at hard difficulty on some of the open VP missions. The one that involved picking up the air dropped supplies, for example, saw the AI produce 2 P4s, 3 vet 4 pumas, and at least another 3 AA Half tracks before I could produce a single Sherman when I controlled both of the fuel the entire game.

Needless to say it threw all those tanks away however since the AI doesn't appear to realize when it's vehicles are being shot by an AT gun sometimes.

Seriously?! I won that one when his Panzer IV only rolled out for 3 mins
19 Nov 2014, 07:52 AM

I was at 72% when My first company (mechinzed) almost got wiped out on covering two briges mission, then I was stuck with three level 5 places and I had dog company at 30 and airborne at 40.

Yeah I restarted, but this time with rangers, but I feel guilty beacuse of how easy rangers make it seem.
19 Nov 2014, 07:54 AM

you gotta play the meta map as well as the missions themselves for the campaign to be truly easy.
19 Nov 2014, 09:32 AM

I pretty much expected this. RTS AI actually being able to compete with a MP experienced player without use of just unfair amounts of resource bonuses or abilities not accessible to the player is unheard of.

The issue with Relic games is that the AI has to be micro-managed a lot more. Other games can get by programming in macro elements and autocasting of abilities.

I've only played the first two missions (The tutorial + defensive mission) and I found the defensive mission to be fairly difficult if you do not use the artillery "get out of jail free" card.

Then again, I only had 1 AT gun.

19 Nov 2014, 10:19 AM

I have done also only the two first mission. The defensive is quite easy for the main objective (in difficult). But for secondary and bonus, it's something else.

But i agree AI seems quite dumb. Never seen so bad use of kubel, HT, brumbar....
19 Nov 2014, 11:36 AM

you gotta play the meta map as well as the missions themselves for the campaign to be truly easy.

That's true, maybe that's why even Hard is easy for me; I simply cut the Germans off from the beginning...then, it's just "close the pocket"
19 Nov 2014, 11:55 AM

Almost whole EE industry when making games is thinking like:
Easy - easy
Normal - more units
Hard - more units, buffed units.
The point is that game designers don't bother with better AI attached to higher level. Just make units better, more spamable, faster etc and that's it.

Panther shooting AT gun while M10 was next to it on Romeo's stream (last AA mission) was just embarrassing
19 Nov 2014, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I can't remember a hard SP game on the last years (yeah besides DS)
19 Nov 2014, 13:30 PM
Senior Editor Badge

19 Nov 2014, 13:36 PM

Elchino (for some reason quote did not work)

You should play men of war red tide or any men of war game on hard difficulty levels.

That game is *really* hard.

And when i mean hard, prepare to frontally assault a heavily defended with tanks mortars and artillery enemy position across an open field with 10 guys and 1 armored car, then also resist mulitple counterattacks with those same 10 guys and 1 armored car :D
19 Nov 2014, 15:04 PM

Almost whole EE industry when making games is thinking like:
Easy - easy
Normal - more units
Hard - more units, buffed units.
The point is that game designers don't bother with better AI attached to higher level. Just make units better, more spamable, faster etc and that's it.

Panther shooting AT gun while M10 was next to it on Romeo's stream (last AA mission) was just embarrassing

It is quite simply a matter that programming AI is HARD. Super hard. And the more complicated the game, the harder it is to take into account the terrain, soft counters, hard counters, dangers, repairing, mines, artillery, flanking, etc, etc, etc.

It took IBM several decades, the best resources of the one of the best computer research facilities, and unlimited $ to spend on programming and equipment to make a program that could beat a human at chess. Chess is MUCH simpler than CoH, only 64 locations, only 6 types of units, only movement with no attack or defense stats, no cover, no shot blockers, no line-of-sight.

It takes someone who is dedicated to the job, who can figure out how to tweak the algorithms, and who has a lot of patience to play many permutations, to make even a decent system seem dangerous.

So yeah, they throw MORE at you at higher levels. I would think they should even disable LOS to make the AI seem smarter and more vicious. (maybe that should be the difference between levels). And
19 Nov 2014, 15:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2014, 13:36 PMBurts
Elchino (for some reason quote did not work)

You should play men of war red tide or any men of war game on hard difficulty levels.

That game is *really* hard.

And when i mean hard, prepare to frontally assault a heavily defended with tanks mortars and artillery enemy position across an open field with 10 guys and 1 armored car, then also resist mulitple counterattacks with those same 10 guys and 1 armored car :D

That's artificially hard. Not because the AI makes good decisions, rather than having a better army which still has to make stupid decisions in order for you to be able to win with an inferior army.
19 Nov 2014, 15:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

How awesome would it be if AA were like left 4 dead 2 where players can jump in and play against you and try to stop you from beating the campaign? Now that would be hard :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 45
Poland 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment