Unrealistic sound effects?

Happy with the sound effects ?
Option Distribution Votes
71%
29%
Total votes: 69
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
13 Nov 2014, 22:18 PM

I have played and watched many WWII games and movies and I can safely say that the sound effects in this game are unrealistic imo, so is it just me or anyone else noticed this?

Needless to say, most people won't be able to play the game with soundFX set at high.
13 Nov 2014, 22:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Finally, a completely unbiased poll :D
13 Nov 2014, 22:24 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

13 Nov 2014, 22:27 PM

I noticed many changes (like AT guns hitting tanks).
Not sure whether I like them or not.

I will get back to you asap.
13 Nov 2014, 22:35 PM

There are a lot of sounds in this game, you're gonna have to be more specific.
Only Relic postRelic 13 Nov 2014, 23:28 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Why is there no 'Relic clearly had their receptionist make all of the in-game sounds using an iPhone as the recording device and nothing but their own vocal chords' option?

Or no 'every other WW2 franchise has unrealistic sounds, THESE are the real WW2 sounds and I know this because I went back in time with The Doctor and got to hear everything first hand' option?

I mean, if we're going to randomly hypothesize about things and all ;)

PS - our in-house audio team is awesome, and they do rad stuff.

PPS - if you want to see a video they made while recording ACTUAL tanks for the game, you might find this kinda cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpztdm0sx0&list=UUXgK_BvNF2j7qH_NZcNlSeQ

Bonus points if you can tell me whether or not the rooster made it into the game somewhere.
13 Nov 2014, 23:40 PM
Benefactor 115

Do you know what the real stuff sounds like?

If I remember correctly, most of the small arms were done by recording the actual weapons. I believe the sound team recorded a Sherman as well.

Some of the vehicles aren't historically accurate, however I feel they are close enough.

Interesting & useless facts:

-The Kubel should sound like a VW bug
-The Panther, Tiger, King Tiger, Stumtiger, and Jagtiger should all sound very similar, as the engine was the same - To me that engine sounds similar to that of a transit bus.
13 Nov 2014, 23:58 PM
Patrion 14

i love the audio in this game
14 Nov 2014, 00:00 AM

i think its fine. all the small arms sounds are fairly distinct so you can immediately tell what is shooting.
14 Nov 2014, 01:21 AM

Why is there no 'Relic clearly had their receptionist make all of the in-game sounds using an iPhone as the recording device and nothing but their own vocal chords' option?

Or no 'every other WW2 franchise has unrealistic sounds, THESE are the real WW2 sounds and I know this because I went back in time with The Doctor and got to hear everything first hand' option?

I mean, if we're going to randomly hypothesize about things and all ;)

PS - our in-house audio team is awesome, and they do rad stuff.

PPS - if you want to see a video they made while recording ACTUAL tanks for the game, you might find this kinda cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpztdm0sx0&list=UUXgK_BvNF2j7qH_NZcNlSeQ

Bonus points if you can tell me whether or not the rooster made it into the game somewhere.

I wish the MG34 sounded like the MG34 from the First Call of Duty.
14 Nov 2014, 02:07 AM

The loud as garden gunshot bug sound that randomly plays is pretty realistic at making ears ring like a real gunshot. A+ B-)
14 Nov 2014, 02:49 AM
Donator 11

I still think small arms sound quite weak.
14 Nov 2014, 03:46 AM

Hey there. :)

Honestly I would appreciate it if you guys could include a whole new SFX package in the next patch.B-)

Gun sounds are not that great even when compared to other quality games. Not necessarily comparing them to their real-life counterparts. Vehicles are fine though.

Also being able to play the game at high sound settings would be nice. Right now either the game crashes completely, or you will hear little aliens screaming in the background from time to time.
14 Nov 2014, 03:47 AM

You serious? This game has some of the best sound design I've experienced in a game.
14 Nov 2014, 04:25 AM
Donator 33

Oh is the eardrum exploding gunshot only a problem with high settings? I never knew that. Still, unit voices sound so much better I'd rather put up with it.
14 Nov 2014, 04:38 AM
Patrion 14

if all sounds were realistic, i think it would be way hard to hear things in game.
14 Nov 2014, 04:42 AM

I'm not talking about volume levels and mixing ffs haha.
14 Nov 2014, 04:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Nov 2014, 02:07 AMeebies
The loud as garden gunshot bug sound that randomly plays is pretty realistic at making ears ring like a real gunshot. A+ B-)
Oh is the eardrum exploding gunshot only a problem with high settings? I never knew that. Still, unit voices sound so much better I'd rather put up with it.

This is actually a noise generated by an engine error. Last I checked, Relic had no idea what caused the sound or how to get rid of it. The world of programming, isn't it amazing?
14 Nov 2014, 04:57 AM

It only happens when you set your AA and sound settings at the highest possible.
14 Nov 2014, 04:58 AM
Benefactor 115

The sound team is the only department at Relic that have consistently done an outstanding job on all of their games. From SFX to Voice work to soundtracks, soundtracks most of the time have been outsourced to contracted composers but I digress.

I really have no problem with the sound scape they have created for this game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 58
Korea, Republic Of 19
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak