Login

russian armor

Walking Stuka

3 Nov 2014, 15:59 PM

I do not find this unit out of control. It rarely gets more than 30 kills in a game (which is saying something because of its high cost) and it requires a bit of skill to use well. If you are struggling with it in team games you can use Kats to bombard it since they have longer range.

The issue here is the extremely potent OKW late game which it synergizes with and makes it nearly impossible for the Allies to do anything. In this case the Stuka is the final nail in the coffin as it wipes vet and allows high vet blobs to roll over the new recruits.

Short: Stuka is not the problem, OKW late game in larger games is still crazy strong.

Bean!!! You traitor!!! :D :D
3 Nov 2014, 16:50 PM

The stuka is fine as it is. Yes, it wipes squads often, but if we compare it to the katy i can't see much of a difference. Sure, the stuka has a much larger firing area, but i have seen the katy wipe any weapon squads in it's firing circle easily. A unit which should be talked about is the panzerwerfer which is totally useless compared to the stuka or the katy. The usf might lack some light arty vehicle but they have the m8a1 howizer which fullfills it's role pretty well. And don't forget that they have the priest which is maybe the strongest moveable artillery piece since it is able to drive close to the enemy and shoot him directly into the face. The stuka is a very high investment for the okw and works best on camping enemys or enemys which are just "preparing". It might do lot's of damage when it hits, but there are enough signs, like the little flash or the unique sound. It's eaysy to dodge and mostly used vs blobbers which deserve such a punishment.
3 Nov 2014, 17:00 PM

The OKW does not have any cheap units that can remove enemies from buildings just like the Americans so the walking stuka is their counter to that. It gets even more problematic when Soviets set up their headquaters building locking down an area and the Stuka seems like the only counter to that now that buildings are taking such a long time to be brought down by panzershrecks.

Yes, the walking Stuka is able to squad wipe units but so does the Katyusha and the Katyusha also has a lot longer barrage time which gives extra area denial. The Stuka also costs more than most allied tanks, so you can throw away a T34 while killing a stuka and it will be all worth it because the Stuka is irreplaceable compared to the T34s.
3 Nov 2014, 17:09 PM

ok where USF rocket systems and soviet "stuka"(БМ-13-СН) ? 1 rocket = 90 Kg weight with 30 kg explosive

3 Nov 2014, 17:12 PM

. A unit which should be talked about is the panzerwerfer which is totally useless compared to the stuka or the katy.

panzerwerfer is fine, it is better than katyusha, sorter recharce time and it fires it rockets in a quiker salvo. but it comes out later.
3 Nov 2014, 17:12 PM

The way the Walking Stuka makes maintaining a real defensive line extremely hard is just insane. I'm not necessarily against the Germans having a unit like that, but it IMO should be a bit squishier so it can be taken out by AT partisans and light armour rushes.
3 Nov 2014, 17:16 PM

Long cooldown, very very expensive. If this units is so good like u guys are saying then everyone would use it in every single game, but i rarely see it in 2v2, in 1v1 its it a huge risk to build one. because its so expensive, plus range is smaller compared to other arty. And it doesn't auto kill everything in path. Happened once that sniper lived trough barage because he was between two rockets. Killed his mate, but he was alive... And btw. if u have a huge blob of infantry, in cirle. Katy would wipe it easly, stuka wouldn't.
3 Nov 2014, 17:18 PM

Wat? Panzerwerfer is borderline useless. Absolutely no comparison to Stuka/Katyushah, especially because it does not seem to hit anything from outside the range of direct-fire weapons which turns it pretty moot as an artillery piece.
As to the Stuka, it would be OP if it was in any other faction than OKW. As has been said already, if you go for the Stuka in the early-mid game it will leave you without any substantial AT for a long time and therefore vulnerable to medium armor...but yes, a health nerf might be in order. It should be easier for something like a T-70 or Stuart to kill it.
3 Nov 2014, 17:38 PM

I don't know why people always claim this thing will ALWAYS destroy everything in its line. It happens regularly to me that it will actually barely kill anything even though the enemies are still in the line where I aimed at, because while you know the rockets will land in the target straight line, there are still noticeable gaps between the rockets and you don't know where they are. I found the Stuka to be very unreliable as a counter to static weapons, as they will often just lose a few models and reinforce them or even if you uncrew one team they can just recrew it with Conscripts, so it doesn't really put a dent into strong defensive formations (as you find them mostly in team games). Since your next barrage takes two minutes doing nothing, he has plenty of time to man his defenses again, and then again I can only take out a part of his defense if I am lucky.

Against blobs and units in buildings (don't know how it is now after patch) it can be quite nice if the enemy is actually staying in the firing line, but that is how it should work. And if you cannot anticipate that my Stuka will "probably" shoot at your biggest blob when you hear the sound (giving you some time to move out of the line), you in my opinion deserve every single loss.
3 Nov 2014, 17:57 PM

Well if you used it at WFA release and would still use it now, you could tell the difference. Before it was whiping everything in its path. Now, almost all squads the barrage fully hits are left with 1-2 survivors. If it isn't in the patch notes, I am certain it was ninjachanged. So yes, I think it's in the right place now. Further nerfing would make it useless. I cannot imagine a fuel starved faction like OKW using an almost useless tool as the Panzerwerfer for instance. The fuel investment being so high for OKW (because income is poor) must be carefully placed. Making wuhrframen a worst investment that in the current state, would render this unit close to undesirable. But if you're an exclusive Allied player, you will say yes to this without an other thought. Of course.

Right. There was a time when we were thinkinh about nerf and then suddenly it got buff o_O
I just dont understand why it has 320 HP.
It also punishes you for combined arms. Plenty of ZiSes, mortars, MGs can be killed with single barrage.
Have you seen Katy with 50+ kill? PzWerfer? I think not - maybe 4v4. Stuka can achieve 50 without any problems (at least in 2v2).

Here you guys.. from Relic's website

July 22, 2014

Rocket Artillery
Our intent is to better align the performance of rocket artillery between the factions while maintaining some of their unique characteristics. In a previous update, we significantly increased the performance of the Katyusha to bring it in line with its counter-parts. However, its damage versus buildings ended up being higher than intended. Our goal was to lower building damage while increasing performance versus vehicles and maintaining its current performance versus infantry. Although damage has been set back to 80, the AOE modifiers on these units have been modified to retain the same damage profile versus soft targets.

Katyusha

These changes will retain the Katyusha’s current lethality versus infantry, increase its performance versus vehicles, and lower its performance vs. buildings. The delay in pay-load delivery provides the Katyusha with the ability to deny an area for short periods of time, while its long range and precision fire ability allow it to annihilate high priority units on the battle field.
Damage from 160 to 80
Mid AOE damage from 45 to 28
Deflected shots now deal 20 damage
Ability recharge time from 70 to 110 seconds

Panzerwerfer

In contrast to the Katyusha, the Panzerwerfer trades range and area denial for damage concentration. This increased rocket saturation increases its barrage lethality, while its counter barrage ability punishes nearby artillery. Given the Panzerwerfer has a slightly higher tech cost, we have enabled it to fire its barrage more frequently.
Damage from 160 to 80
Mid AOE damage from 56 to 28
Deflected shots now deal 20 damage
Ability recharge time from 70 to 100 seconds

SdKfz 251 "Stuka zu Fuß" Half-track

The Stuka provides the user with greater fidelity, allowing them to better coordinate their barrage against the enemy. Given the Stuka uses the largest caliber rocket, its deflection damage was increased to 40 to better reflect its intended potency versus armored units.
Deflected shots now deal 40 damage

Nerfs to Ost and Sov arty and buff for Stuka. People were scratching their heads that this change...

3 Nov 2014, 18:34 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Why does this thing have double health in comparison to Katy/Panzerwerfer?
3 Nov 2014, 18:34 PM

Stuka is fine. I must think very deeply if I'm to build one. Rarely is the frontline so thick that some kamikaze T34 can't pull through and kill it, which pretty much nukes the faith of that OKW player in particular. The cooldown is so long that often I find myself in trilemma what to barrage with it. In the end I lose precious time of micro, or I don't even use it (as much as I should) to justify the fuel invested. Not to mention that every now and then it really misses everything it's supposed certain to destroy, so..
3 Nov 2014, 18:36 PM

Why does this thing have double health in comparison to Katy/Panzerwerfer?

because it's an armored halftrack, and not some skinny truck as the Russian equivalent !
3 Nov 2014, 18:44 PM

Its a weird unit. Honestly, I've seen it wipe 3-4 blobbed up squads. Other times it barely hits anything - like some people have already stated.

The only real issue I have with it is that is so dang hard to kill. It moves fast, has 320HP, and is well armored against small arms. If an enemy unit looks at a Katy the katy goes boom. Priest is slow and easy to hunt down. I haven't seen a p-werfer in an age so I don't know lol.

Oh the other thing. Why the flip does it have a creeping barrage as default lol? This was probably the single most inaccurate artillery system every designed. There was litterally 0 control over where the rockets went. Just strap the rockets onto a wooden frame at a set angle and point in the general direction of the front line. Such a joke that it can fire from each side of the vehicle and the rockets end up in a straight line. LOL
3 Nov 2014, 18:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2014, 18:36 PM$nuffy

because it's an armored halftrack, and not some skinny truck as the Russian equivalent !

So why Kubel has more HP than Katy? Is Kubel heavy armored car? :lol:
Proof that it does not matter if it is armored halftrack since little car has more HP than bigger truck.
3 Nov 2014, 18:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2014, 18:36 PM$nuffy

Then why we can 1-shot this??? Is it ARMORED???

3 Nov 2014, 19:01 PM

Because axis steel is better then axis steel and nothing is better then axis steel. :rofl:
3 Nov 2014, 19:04 PM

Countless times my stuka survives a direct hit from katyusha precision barrage. At least that is pretty BS.

Could be good RNG in my favor, but so much for needing to micro-move...
3 Nov 2014, 19:13 PM

No. Just No.

Camping doesn't mean you are on the same position for 1 min, getting everything ready to attack.
Predicting retreat movement is piece of cake, play a map 2 times and you know the retreat path.

I don't get your first sentence. Fact is, that everything, that stands outside of that very defined target area, will barley get harmed by the barrage. Once you hear the thing firing (and you will hear it), all you need to do is shifting your units position and you wont suffer major casualties.

Knowing retreat paths is not the same as timig a barrage precisely to wipe retreating squads. Also people who blob and are thus more prone to mass retreat, are also more vulnerable to arty strikes killing their troops on retreat.

I played many games with and against the stuka and in my experience you can render the thing useless through good playing. It takes some effort and it's not always easy, but it's perfectly possible to avoid it's barrages.
3 Nov 2014, 20:00 PM

Pro tip: when you hear Stuks'a barrage sound just move your armies. 9 out of 10 Stuka will miss or only cause minimal causalities.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★