Login

russian armor

Underperforming pieces of artillery

18 Oct 2014, 22:45 PM

Well as the title says there are some pieces of artillery that are pretty bad at what they do and to add insult to injury they are overpriced as well . The ones that i mainly have in mind are the usf mortar ht which is by far the worse unit in the game , the usf 75mm howie for the reason that it costs a truckload and it really isnt better than a very chaep mortar (and although it does reliably hit and past vet2 its a killer , its range is very small and the splash is meh white phosphorus is wasted munis ) , the panzerwerfer well this one is both expensive and unreliable takes huge pop , its cooldown is big and on top of that it requires t4 which means it comes too late in the game to compete in usefulness against the panther or the tiger .Finally the worst one of all , the pos at the sight of which the whole red army laughs uncontrolably , the lef 10.5cm this thing is doctrinal comes at 8cps which means you wont be seeing it any time soon takes ages for the pios to build it , has all the dissadvantages of the panzerwerfer but on a larger scale with one more its immovable and therefore dies very easily to plenty of things including its counterpart which is better than it in all respects .

A few more things : with the exceptions of the walking stuka ( whichs is godly) and the b4 which does its job given the superheavy spam that dominates the game atm almost all heavy artillery pieces are too expensive , too unreliable and come too late to have any significant influence on the game , this along with the availability and potency of heavy tank call ins creates the current awful metagame .
19 Oct 2014, 00:32 AM

While i rather like to see artillery pieces UP instead of OP from a gameplay standpoint (especially the precision one-shot nature of some pieces), i agree with what you said overall.

Here is my personal Street Fighter-style artillery tier chart:

B4 so S rank!
19 Oct 2014, 00:45 AM

Legit question: what is different between Katyusha and Stuka that they are on opposite sides?
19 Oct 2014, 00:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2014, 00:45 AMdpfarce
Legit question: what is different between Katyusha and Stuka that they are on opposite sides?

Stuka halftracks fire highly accurate line barrages.

Katyushas are more intended for area denial. Realistically you need 2+ Kats to do your job, really only need one Stuky.
19 Oct 2014, 00:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2014, 00:45 AMdpfarce

You mean why the Stuka is on the "Has Faults" side? It is in my opinion a very expensive unit that can leave you wide open in a 1v1 scenario. The accurate line barrage is also a blessing and a curse: Good players, that quickly dodge to the sides instead of reatreating their units, can mitigate most of the devestating effect the Stuka can have. That makes it a powerfull, but in some cases a risky weapon if you ask me.

19 Oct 2014, 01:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

the hmc scott is so top tier it exceeds the chart :D
19 Oct 2014, 01:33 AM

the hmc scott is so top tier it exceeds the chart :D
Su 76 is so low tier it disappeared. :P
19 Oct 2014, 01:35 AM

While i rather like to see artillery pieces UP instead of OP from a gameplay standpoint (especially the precision one-shot nature of some pieces), i agree with what you said overall.

Here is my personal Street Fighter-style artillery tier chart:

B4 so S rank!

Move the priest up a bit :P It's actually a very good unit in my experience.
19 Oct 2014, 04:00 AM

THey should definitely make howitzers better. Im sick of seeing rocket artillery every game.
19 Oct 2014, 04:54 AM

B4 so S rank!

S rank is old and busted, the B4 is EX rank.
19 Oct 2014, 06:36 AM

Move the priest up a bit :P It's actually a very good unit in my experience.

Ya, its decent, but needs to be timed correctly with its barrages. US needs a better non-doctrine arty unit. Pack Howis are decent once they vet up and squad wipe regularly but those don't give you the reach needed to crack OKW truck farms or OST defensive belts of mg and paks.
19 Oct 2014, 07:38 AM
Patrion 27

I use both the Ostheer and Soviet howitzers in almost every multiplayer match I play and I feel like people are trying to use them once or twice and don't "get it."

Soviet Howitzer:
High Damage
Long range
Good commanders (Terror and Shock army specifically)

-Hit vehicles early on to get veterancy quickly because of so much damage inflicted.
-Build the howitzer in a very safe spot far back in the base since vet 3 will increase its range to a ridiculous amount.

Ostheer Howitzer:
Rate of fire
Lots of rounds
Versatile commanders (Joint Ops is very flexible and and Festung Support is brutal vs. weapon team spam)

The most important factor IMO is playing multiple games with howitzer commanders and learning a solid army composition to support them, make high dps units to gain cp's quickly, not bleed manpower and to not try and make a bunch of vehicles. The excess fuel you accumulate should be put into a more broad teching tree to have units from multiple buildings to support each other. You will also be the player setting down more fuel and especially munitions caches.

If anything the Ostheer howi is slightly weak for its cost but the Soviet is perfectly fine and synergizes insanely in Terror Tactics with Fear Propaganda artillery (especially against OKW forcing them to retreat to their forward HQ and pounding it.)

Vaz
19 Oct 2014, 09:35 AM

You mean why the Stuka is on the "Has Faults" side? It is in my opinion a very expensive unit that can leave you wide open in a 1v1 scenario. The accurate line barrage is also a blessing and a curse: Good players, that quickly dodge to the sides instead of reatreating their units, can mitigate most of the devestating effect the Stuka can have. That makes it a powerfull, but in some cases a risky weapon if you ask me.

This applies to all artillery. Except for the line about it's accuracy. So you think the Stuka is faulted and.......needs some corrections? Something to make it better? I honestly expected something more realistic like cooldown, but not a complaint of accuracy.
19 Oct 2014, 09:51 AM

uhhh the usf mortar ht is actually kinda strong since it has white phos. that ability is actually op as hell. the autobarrage is pretty lackluster but i would still get it purely for the white phos.

also the panzerwerfer is pretty decent too, you just have to drive in closer to the target to get an extremely tight barrage AoE. use line of sight blockers etc.
19 Oct 2014, 09:56 AM

I love howitzers. On maps like Semois you cant arty the shit out of your enemy. The sad thing is that all howitzers are currently underperforming. B4 has an insane spread, ML-20 often hits nothing and fires only 4 rounds, M1 is not even worth talking about and LeFh 18 does often 0 damage. And all howitzers have in common that their barrages can be too easily dodged by everything and the sad thing is that they all can get instawiped by offmaps.

B4? ML-20? If the enemy got a doctrine with stuka you are going to have a bad time.

M1? It is actually not really in the game. Somebody just forgot to remove its model.

LeFh 18? 1 IL-2 bombing run (which is to be honest not needed because the howitzer has 0 impact on the game) and its done.

You have to sacrifice at least 3 goats to have a good game with howitzers.
19 Oct 2014, 09:56 AM

Agreed
19 Oct 2014, 10:00 AM

Lots of round 6? XD
19 Oct 2014, 10:09 AM

For some reason they decided to over nerf the soviet and german howitzers. This was a bit odd to me because in the games I usually play (1v1 and 2v2) I almost never saw a howitzer anyways. Maybe the howitzer was too effective in the bigger game modes then.

After the nerf they aren't really worth investing the manpower and popcap unless you already have a significant advantage in the game and do it just for fun.
19 Oct 2014, 11:54 AM
Patrion 14

The thing i hate most about the artillery is how you get a precision shot when it has vet1... They should remove this...
19 Oct 2014, 11:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2014, 11:54 AMStafkeh
The thing i hate most about the artillery is how you get a precision shot when it has vet1... They should remove this...

So you hate the only thing that makes soviet arty viable?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★