Login

russian armor

USF .50 HMG could use an improvement

Vaz
26 Sep 2014, 11:53 AM

Sometimes I get this MG and I find it very underwhelming.

• It's not all that great at suppression
  • It kills about the same as other hmg
  • it costs 40mp more than other hmg's
  • It comes late as hell requiring an LT first

I would like to see either a cost reduction or a significant increase to burst length. I see it's damage per bullet is about 3x that of an mg42, but I feel it fails it's job as an HMG with it's burst duration. I see the stats site showing .75 - 1.25 which is super short. Usually when anyone gets an MG it's usually going to be to hold back a horde and I think it's within the benefit of the game to have it do it's job rather than be a higher damage MG. Considering it costs more I would drop damage down to 2x mg42 and increase the burst duration to 1.25 - 1.6
27 Sep 2014, 16:07 PM

ur right this unit needs a nice buff. I think dmg will do. it dies fast so it needs dmg to balance it out
27 Sep 2014, 16:22 PM

Has anybody ever been able to get all 4 models into green cover without putting them into a building?
27 Sep 2014, 16:40 PM

It comes too late, by the time it comes out I usually already captured an MG34 or MG42 from the other team.

Furthermore it just feels weak, the stats say differently but the gun just seems to do nothing at all and the sound is also too weak :D
27 Sep 2014, 17:07 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2014, 16:22 PMNapalm
Has anybody ever been able to get all 4 models into green cover without putting them into a building?

I think its bugged can never get the thing in cover
.50 cal is one of the wierdest handling MGs. Its like a maxim/dshk but dies like an mG42 manned by ostruppen.. also comes sorta late. Only really shines in buildings.
27 Sep 2014, 18:03 PM

dies too easy.
27 Sep 2014, 18:13 PM

Too expensive, why do I have to pay 280 for an MG that functions about the same as all the 240 MG's? Ever since they fixed the accuracy bug*, it's been roughly on-par with an MG 42, except more expensive, on an already manpower hungry faction. Even before anyone knew about the accuracy bug, it was not a heavily used unit.

*For anyone not aware, the accuracy bug I refer to is when the M2 had 25% bonus accuracy (more accurate against enemies) when it was supposed to have 25% incoming accuracy (the crew takes more damage).
27 Sep 2014, 18:16 PM

It needs a few things
-AP rounds, so it can actually kill light vehicles like its supposed to
-Mg retreat bug fixed
-Manpower reduction on reinforce cost(its 35 to reinforce right now which is stupid as rifles are 28)
-more HP on the gun, it seems to die from like 2 grenades

If they change these things then at least the unit will be more usable and we can better evaluate if it needs any stat buffs.
27 Sep 2014, 18:33 PM

It needs a few things
-AP rounds, so it can actually kill light vehicles like its supposed to
-Mg retreat bug fixed
-Manpower reduction on reinforce cost(its 35 to reinforce right now which is stupid as rifles are 28)
-more HP on the gun, it seems to die from like 2 grenades

If they change these things then at least the unit will be more usable and we can better evaluate if it needs any stat buffs.

Couldn't agree more, especially AP rounds would help against the Puma dominance tremendously.
27 Sep 2014, 19:04 PM

Ap rounds would be nice. The audio needs to be adjusted too as it's really hard to hear this thing firing over the din of combat.
27 Sep 2014, 19:11 PM

Permanently Banned
Agree with what most people say, but I think the biggest issue with using it is all the technical complaints i.e. the CoH1 motorcycle movement pattern akin to the Maxims, and the retreat bug of course. It deserves a proper movement animation, like the flawless MG42/34 has.
27 Sep 2014, 19:34 PM

To be honest they should probably move the .50 Cal MG to the same building as Riflemen with its current level of strength
27 Sep 2014, 20:09 PM

Moving .50cal to T0 while replacing its vet sprint with AP rounds (the MG42 kind rather than the horrible DSHK version) would do a hell of a lot to help both USF early game variety, vulnerability to cheese and viability of this unit.

Then they could implement the M2 60mm or M1 81mm mortar team (which already exist in the gamefiles so adding them should be relatively trivial, compared to creating an entirely new unit) into the lieutenant tier and USF would suddenly look a lot more well rounded...
27 Sep 2014, 20:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2014, 20:09 PMCruzz
Moving .50cal to T0 while replacing its vet sprint with AP rounds (the MG42 kind rather than the horrible DSHK version) would do a hell of a lot to help both USF early game variety, vulnerability to cheese and viability of this unit.

Then they could implement the M2 60mm or M1 81mm mortar team (which already exist in the gamefiles so adding them should be relatively trivial, compared to creating an entirely new unit) into the lieutenant tier and USF would suddenly look a lot more well rounded...

That... that sounds amazing. T_T One can dream.
27 Sep 2014, 20:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2014, 20:09 PMCruzz

27 Sep 2014, 20:32 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Give USA the 81mm mortar. I remember how bad the 60mm mortar was at shelling stuff and was only really good for smoke.

And give US 50cal 42 mechanics for movement or at least teleportation.
27 Sep 2014, 23:23 PM

There's nothing wrong with this HMG except it doesn't come from the right building (tier). I don't know about you, but I don't want another maxim. Nobody mentioned how quickly it supresses. Far quicker than Mg42 and I think it supresses faster than maxim too, that's why it doesn't need any buff. Hell, it even kills fast enough so its cost is also justified.
27 Sep 2014, 23:37 PM

I agree that the game doesn't need more maxim spam play styles but the .50cal hmg is too squishy to be used like that. It's more like an mg-42 with worse crew mechanics so I highly doubt that it would be spammed even if in t0. That being said, I think a t0 jeep would fit the Ami's mobile design much better.
27 Sep 2014, 23:55 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2014, 23:37 PMEnkidu
I agree that the game doesn't need more maxim spam play styles but the .50cal hmg is too squishy to be used like that. It's more like an mg-42 with worse crew mechanics so I highly doubt that it would be spammed even if in t0. That being said, I think a t0 jeep would fit the Ami's mobile design much better.

The US faction already has enough light vehicles
28 Sep 2014, 00:17 AM

The US faction already has enough light vehicles

True, and yet a fuel free sniper hunter/Kubel deterant/micro rewarding break from early rifle spam sounds pretty good to me. I'd genuinely love to see a t0 jeep for the Amis; more than I'd like to see another early mg unit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★