Login

russian armor

German 105 Howitzer is god awful

22 Sep 2014, 21:17 PM

The German 105 howie costs 600 manpower and comes at 8 cps, same as the ML20 152 for the soviets

However, with almost half the damage, and a slightly worse AOE profile, this unit offers virtually no signifigant advantages over its soviet counterpart.

It does have a slightly lower reload time and its barrage duration is longer, but that usually just means you will be hitting an nothing with your 2 extra shots or perhaps an AFK players weapons teams.

While both pieces are vulnerable to off maps and may need buffs, at least i deem the soviet Howitzer worth using because of its ability to wipe squads and have a signifigant impact on tanks when it can hit. I don't really know what i would use the German howitzer for since its not too good vs infantry or tanks or buildings...

I think it needs to have a signifigantly higher rate of fire than it does presently to make an impact and perhaps greater range to distiguish it from its soviet counterpart.
22 Sep 2014, 21:18 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

there's a german 105 howitzer?
22 Sep 2014, 21:20 PM

I hear it exists in all those useless doctrines that don't have Tigers

Seriously though, both the Soviet 152 and German 105 are pretty meh.
22 Sep 2014, 21:23 PM

Lets ignore it shoots 50% more shells therefore it got that much better area denial properties.
22 Sep 2014, 21:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2014, 21:23 PMKatitof
Lets ignore it shoots 50% more shells therefore it got that much better area denial properties.

"barrage duration is longer" "2 extra shots"

I did mention that it shot more, but as far as area denial goes you are correct it denies the area for 3 extra seconds compared to the soviet artillery piece though that probably is less important than 1 shotting squads as the 152 does

6 x 2.5 sec = 15 seconds

4 x 3 sec = 12 seconds
22 Sep 2014, 21:37 PM

Yes, honestly the only real advantage to the LEFH is that if you are Joint Ops, you can use the artillery officer to ignore cooldown in exchange for munitions.

They removed all the cooldown and scatter advantages the LEFH had without actually giving it the damage of the ML-20 back when they last changed the howitzers ages ago. Never really understood why, not like anyone was using them so clearly it wasn't a balance issue.
22 Sep 2014, 21:41 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Ah, the good old days of Joint Ops where the 105 could fire endlessly so as long as you had munitions thanks to its long barrage versus the ML-20.

I wish both howitzers got an increase in the number of shells they dropped increased somewhere between the pre-patch and post-patch. I feel they don't fire enough to warrant their high prices and it's not like a B-4 that can usually be trusted to land near the target and horribly kill something.
22 Sep 2014, 21:49 PM

I always go into a game hoping it will do some damage but after I promise myself to never use it again. But its there, some day...some day...
22 Sep 2014, 21:57 PM

despite popular beleif. the axis isnt supposed to just be a faction filled with better versions of everything that the soviets has.
22 Sep 2014, 22:00 PM

despite popular beleif. the axis isnt supposed to just be a faction filled with better versions of everything that the soviets has.

and there it is...the argument. Good job!
22 Sep 2014, 22:10 PM

The way I see it, even the currently clearly superior (300 vs 160 damage per shot, precision strike at vet1) ML-20 is not worth it, I'd like to see both but especially the LEFH improved. It's not like the improvement has to be making the LEFH everything the ML-20 is except better, they can be, you know, asymmetrical. Like the LEFH getting back its relatively low cooldown so it can fire barrages more often.

Both guns should absolutely get their weapon health increased to stop them from getting oneshot by offmap artillery strikes so easily.
22 Sep 2014, 22:17 PM

The German 105 howie costs 600 manpower and comes at 8 cps, same as the ML20 152 for the soviets

However, with almost half the damage, and a slightly worse AOE profile, this unit offers virtually no signifigant advantages over its soviet counterpart.

It does have a slightly lower reload time and its barrage duration is longer, but that usually just means you will be hitting an nothing with your 2 extra shots or perhaps an AFK players weapons teams.

While both pieces are vulnerable to off maps and may need buffs, at least i deem the soviet Howitzer worth using because of its ability to wipe squads and have a signifigant impact on tanks when it can hit. I don't really know what i would use the German howitzer for since its not too good vs infantry or tanks or buildings...

I think it needs to have a signifigantly higher rate of fire than it does presently to make an impact and perhaps greater range to distiguish it from its soviet counterpart.

A) They have different roles
B) In the Real war it was so that Russian Artillery was much more than the Germans had so they must buff the Russian arty its underwhelmed.
C) The German Artillery can shoot without a Break thats Great!
22 Sep 2014, 22:46 PM

Priest > Soviet 152 and german 105 Kappa
22 Sep 2014, 23:01 PM

Both artillery have very specific current purposes. Bashing emplaced positions.

Obviously, this is massively situational. But OKW base trucks and Major/Medic combos are the ideal targets. Forward HQ's, bunker nests, groups of setup teams, choke points and offensives, whatever you please.

I honestly think that the new meta in WFA has helped he on field arty a lot. We no longer see the same old three recon+stuka/IL2 commanders every single game, so hitting them in enemy bases isn't a foregone conclusion any more.

I honestly think that both of them are in a reasonable spot right now. Giving substantially more shells/damage to either would make them too powerful at direct base bashing, and that's the last thing we want to go back to. Base-nuking has been boring and stale as all hell since DoW and has got no better since.

They're just a very specific tool. Not every unit is appropriate for every game.
22 Sep 2014, 23:11 PM

I honestly think that the new meta in WFA has helped he on field arty a lot. We no longer see the same old three recon+stuka/IL2 commanders every single game, so hitting them in enemy bases isn't a foregone conclusion any more.

I honestly think that both of them are in a reasonable spot right now. Giving substantially more shells/damage to either would make them too powerful at direct base bashing, and that's the last thing we want to go back to. Base-nuking has been boring and stale as all hell since DoW and has got no better since.

Such a honest post. I honestly think soviet call-in-commanders and the Tiger-commanders would still rule the game even if they buffed howis.
22 Sep 2014, 23:22 PM

A relevant cast from Dane Featuring this Unit. In 37 minutes of use the Howtizer accumulates 20 kills so if you can keep it alive for 37 minutes it will almost pay for itself.

28 mp riflemen x 20 = 540 assuming he only got riflemen

Obviously it could do better it could do worse just thought an example might be relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG-kqHuaySQ
22 Sep 2014, 23:26 PM

A relevant cast from Dane Featuring this Unit. In 37 minutes of use the Howtizer accumulates 20 kills so if you can keep it alive for 37 minutes it will almost pay for itself.

28 mp riflemen x 20 = 540 assuming he only got riflemen

Obviously it could do better it could do worse just thought an example might be relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG-kqHuaySQ

As dane himself said; It was just blind firing for most of the game. If he'd put a little effort into finding clumps of units of scouting his retreat points, it could have done much better for itself.

Blind firing into the FoW = Never hit a thing
22 Sep 2014, 23:48 PM

Axis have better tools to set up defensive positions. Soviet stock mortar just doesn't cut it to break through them. I see it in good position that one faction have good defences and other have optional doctrinal tools that can solve the problem.

In fact Soviet artillery was superior and more numerous IRL.
23 Sep 2014, 01:24 AM

Axis have better tools to set up defensive positions. Soviet stock mortar just doesn't cut it to break through them. I see it in good position that one faction have good defences and other have optional doctrinal tools that can solve the problem.

In fact Soviet artillery was superior and more numerous IRL.

And god forbid Soviets would get anything that was better than Germans! It's not like Germans have something better because it was in real life (read tanks).

I'm a proponent of giving Soviets non-doctrinal tube Arty (which isn't a ZiS and doesn't cost 60munis a pop to use), similar to what the brits had with the 25pndr. The unit that springs to mind for me would be the 122mm obr 1938 gun... It shouldn't be very accurate and shouldn't fire for a while, but given the superiority of German armour across the board to Soviet non-doctrinal stuff, it'd make perfect sense for Soviets to get something in return...
23 Sep 2014, 05:36 AM
Patrion 27

I had a 2v2 recently where I got over 1,500% efficiency on the lefh with only about 5 infantry kills. I kept pounding on the opponent's Katushya, IS2 and Priest. It was fun.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★