Login

russian armor

Thoughts on ISU-152

15 Sep 2014, 22:33 PM

I've been playing a lot more as of recent and have been trying to get a good feel for the game and its balance. One of the units I see come up a lot is the ISU-152. Primarily German players think it is very over powered, and primarily allied players believe it is perfect balanced.

I'm just curious as to what peoples thoughts and opinion's are on the ISU-152 from this community, as these forms are much less heated then the other COH forums.

15 Sep 2014, 22:39 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Thread No. 2382932, ISU still confirmed to be OP.

Should have a determined role, right now it's just an allround, one shooting-beast.
15 Sep 2014, 22:40 PM

I suggest doing a quick search in the balance section for one of the many existing ISU-152 threads. Mentioning the ISU-152 is one of the quickest ways to start a flame war on these forums.
15 Sep 2014, 22:46 PM

I find this unit has been drastically dramatized.
16 Sep 2014, 05:19 AM

Yeah, it doesnt even oneshotkill vet 3-5 squads and 3shot medium tanks from very far away.... lol
16 Sep 2014, 05:58 AM

Thoughts on JT?
16 Sep 2014, 05:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2014, 05:58 AMUGBEAR
Thoughts on JT?

Perfectly balance unit, should be cheaper and stock althou needs some range, armor and penetration buffs, should also come with IR searchlight because it have trouble working as completely independent doomsday machine for armor. :snfPeter:
16 Sep 2014, 06:02 AM

What if all the heavy tanks in the game were capped at one per player per game?

Multiple ISUs, Elefants, and Tigers getting involved in a tiny skirmish between two platoons just never felt right to me.

"We captured a tiny stretch of land held by ~100 guys, but lost two Elefants." Doesn't sound like victory to me.

- edit - I don't know why I brought that up. It's a suggestion that comes up over and over, just as these threads pop up over and over. I'd like it better that way, but I'm not really complaining about the current situation. This idea would probably make the Jagd too good.

I just don't find "multiple ISUs versus a Jagdtiger" a very interesting end game scenario, and that's one I see in casts of good players, too, so it's not just something that happens with bad players. It isn't all that interesting.
16 Sep 2014, 19:42 PM

Alright, so most people think its ability to dominate medium tanks and infantry at long range is what makes this tank OP.

So is using heavy tanks, or even panthers the best way to deal with it?
16 Sep 2014, 19:48 PM

Alright, so most people think its ability to dominate medium tanks and infantry at long range is what makes this tank OP.

So is using heavy tanks, or even panthers the best way to deal with it?

It actually has very weak armor/or hp. any heavy tank can take off a large part of its health with one hit. It also is vulnerable to flanking, like many of the other nonturretted tanks.

16 Sep 2014, 20:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2014, 19:48 PMNinjaWJ

It actually has very weak armor/or hp.

lol
16 Sep 2014, 20:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2014, 05:59 AMKatitof

Perfectly balance unit, should be cheaper and stock althou needs some range, armor and penetration buffs, should also come with IR searchlight because it have trouble working as completely independent doomsday machine for armor. :snfPeter:

More penetration? :D

Fun fact: the only unit that has a slight chance of bouncing a Jagdtiger shot is... the Jagdtiger!

The Elephant is the real unit that needs a penetration buff. That thing can bounce not only on Jagdtigers, but also on King Tigers!
16 Sep 2014, 20:09 PM

lol

now where is that chart....
16 Sep 2014, 20:13 PM

I always though at 310 the ISU152 had too much front armor. If that number is brought down to where shreks can penetrate it most of the time and paks all the time then the ISU152 would become acceptable. Just like its a threat to almost everything, almost all AT weapons should be a threat to it. That will make it less of "I win button" that it is now.
16 Sep 2014, 20:15 PM

its fine as is.
16 Sep 2014, 20:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2014, 20:13 PMAbdul
I always though at 310 the ISU152 had too much front armor. If that number is brought down to where shreks can penetrate it most of the time and paks all the time then the ISU152 would become acceptable. Just like its a threat to almost everything, almost all AT weapons should be a threat to it. That will make it less of "I win button" that it is now.

While we're at it, can we take down elephant and jagdtiger armor down so T34 and ZiS-3 can penetrate it most of the time frontally, because I too want to a-move super heavy units frontally with stuff its supposed to counter.
16 Sep 2014, 20:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2014, 20:19 PMKatitof

While we're at it, can we take down elephant and jagdtiger armor down so T34 and ZiS-3 can penetrate it most of the time frontally, because I too want to a-move super heavy units frontally with stuff its supposed to counter.

No, because elephant and JT are not a threat to infantry units, where as ISU is a threat to everything.

16 Sep 2014, 20:36 PM

I'm going pipe in here and say, allied infantry are not a threat to a JT or elephant either.
16 Sep 2014, 20:38 PM

Dead horse, but I'll give my two cents.

The ISU is odd. It's not particularly a focused unit, its basically a heavy all rounder cannon. Good range, a lot of potential to squad wipe infantry, potential to do good damage to tanks if the shots pen, etc.

A straight nerf to the ISU would not be ideal, as I feel the unit needs a straight up rework. Some ideas I've heard are the ability to toggle HE and AP rounds (which give the ISU a sense of vulnerability and neccessary pre planning. Currently, as long as the ISU is able to face a threat, it will at the very least offer resistance to it. Heavy tank? Chance to pen, damage nearby repairing infantry, or crew shock. Infantry are either going to survive a missed shot or be completely wiped out if they bunch together, which is out of the players control. The HE/AP switch would allow it counter only one or the other, and would require sufficient micromanagement of the unit to keep it at peak effectiveness
16 Sep 2014, 20:58 PM

PS. how did my comment above change?

Dead horse, but I'll give my two cents.

The ISU is odd. It's not particularly a focused unit, its basically a heavy all rounder cannon. Good range, a lot of potential to squad wipe infantry, potential to do good damage to tanks if the shots pen, etc.

A straight nerf to the ISU would not be ideal, as I feel the unit needs a straight up rework. Some ideas I've heard are the ability to toggle HE and AP rounds (which give the ISU a sense of vulnerability and neccessary pre planning. Currently, as long as the ISU is able to face a threat, it will at the very least offer resistance to it. Heavy tank? Chance to pen, damage nearby repairing infantry, or crew shock. Infantry are either going to survive a missed shot or be completely wiped out if they bunch together, which is out of the players control. The HE/AP switch would allow it counter only one or the other, and would require sufficient micromanagement of the unit to keep it at peak effectiveness

If they are willing to implement that idea it would probably be the best solution, but the difference between the two modes should be greater than it is now on the Sherman for example.

I'm going pipe in here and say, allied infantry are not a threat to a JT or elephant either.

Zis and guards button are a threat to elephent/JT. Plus having infantry your units fighting around those two tanks will result in almost 0 loses from them.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 1
Russian Federation 63
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak