Login

russian armor

An idea I thought of regarding the balance forum

Vaz
12 Sep 2014, 03:33 AM

I was thinking it would be fun for coh2.org to feature a kind of balance argument through replay/video for the balance forum. It would work like this:

• Some troll claims that something OP/UP
  • CoH2.org organizes a custom game between troll and a high ranking player
  • Troll uses OP thing to try and win battles against top player
  • If troll refuses, thread is deleted and temp ban issued
  • If troll fails in-game thread is locked
  • If troll succeeds thread stays open for further discussion

Obviously this isn't something that can be done for every thread, but it would be fun to just pick one or two a week and do it. This isn't about whether the person can beat the high ranker (like actually win the custom game), this is about whether the unit actually tips battles unfairly and even a high ranking player can't beat it. Obviously if the defender is a high ranker it may not be entertaining.

Afterwards a replay and video cuts can be uploaded to the thread to either prove wrong or support thought.
12 Sep 2014, 03:41 AM

Showing a playercard matters, too. You need to be able to determine if the poster even plays the game.
Vaz
12 Sep 2014, 03:44 AM

I find it kind of funny you say that with yours set to private. I guess your not starting many balance threads though.
12 Sep 2014, 04:31 AM

I like this idea but I think the thread should remain open regardless of outcome and replay + highlights should be uploaded for analysis.

Too often players will sling out wild accusations about what actually goes on in-game without any supporting evidence. Showing evidence would at the very least make discussions more interesting.

I'm also not sure how you'd do this with late game units, because a top player could theoretically beat out a scrubby whiner long before a late game unit ever surfaced.

But it is frustrating when you're reading a balance thread and the original poster is throwing out wild accusations that you know are untrue, and you can tell he is probably super terrible at the game.

BTW, are you EliteVaz from CoH1?
12 Sep 2014, 04:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 03:33 AMVaz
this is about whether the unit actually tips battles unfairly and even a high ranking player can't beat it.

There is no such unit that makes it possible to beat a high-raanking player if you ae considerably worse than him at the game.

Not a bad idea, BUUUUT even with the OP stuff, very few players can beat the top players. Even if you made them more OP, they'd find it hard. How about the same idea but matching the players against another player of similar skill?

Remember, the OP things only tip the balance a little. There's nothing in the game now which is an auto-win button. Mostly they just tip the balance 3-5%. (Or just make the game incredibly unfun to play, Maxim VonMaxim)

You'd need more than 3-5% to beat Jesulin, Barton, Cruzz, etc. Everyone would lose to the pr0s, so with your method, nothing would ever be OP. I say bring back the old Pgrens and Flamer HT then put this method in action! :D
12 Sep 2014, 05:30 AM

Not a bad idea, BUUUUT even with the OP stuff, very few players can beat the top players. Even if you made them more OP, they'd find it hard. How about the same idea but matching the players against another player of similar skill?

Exactly. What is the definition of OP unit? It's a unit that, let alone your skill, gives you a non-deserved upper-hand in the fight against your opponent (the opponent being of equal skill or very close in skill), fight which would be otherwise lost.

Secondly, related to the third point "If troll succeeds, thread stays open for further discussion", it's wrong judgement. If "troll" succeeds, than the unit should be modified. Period.

One single game it's not enough, sometimes even best players can have a bad day. There should be at list 3 games, and then a game between top 10 players.

Several tests must be made, in order to take the right decision. BUT: This is what Relic should do before "balancing" the game through patches. NOT US!!
12 Sep 2014, 06:17 AM

"I can kick your ass, so I'm right".

Yeah, I don't think so.
12 Sep 2014, 06:19 AM

Maybe we should just have a special balance forum where only people in the top 200 can post, but everyone else can view? I think that'd be interesting, actually. Keep the other forum, of course.

12 Sep 2014, 10:15 AM

Yeah, I do wish more people would take into account the way that the game differs based on the skill level you are match-made at. Player Cards are important for this reason, they give context for what someone is saying about balance. Sometimes, I just kind of laugh when someone at rank 3500 posts a thread about X being OP. Not out of elitism (I totally respect that everyone plays at their own level, god knows I suck at lots of other games), but because I feel like someone at that level should understand that their experience of the game doesn't reflect how the game is best played.

Maybe we should just have a special balance forum where only people in the top 200 can post, but everyone else can view? I think that'd be interesting, actually. Keep the other forum, of course.

I really like this idea. Maybe this forum could also have a strict policy of requiring citations i.e. if you talk about how X unit is OP OMG RELIC FIX PLS, you have to provide at least 3 replays that demonstrate how and why X is OP.
12 Sep 2014, 11:10 AM

"I can kick your ass, so I'm right".

Yeah, I don't think so.

Regardless of the outcome duels like that wouldn't be a bad idea.

If anything, they would show is if the one who is crying about imbalance even have a clue on how to play the game.

Come on, don't tell me you wouldn't want to see sierra, lolcake, ssheini featured in mini tournament.
12 Sep 2014, 11:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 11:10 AMKatitof

Regardless of the outcome duels like that wouldn't be a bad idea.

If anything, they would show is if the one who is crying about imbalance even have a clue on how to play the game.

Come on, don't tell me you wouldn't want to see sierra, lolcake, ssheini featured in mini tournament.

Dev have often lost matches to community players, even though its granted to assume they know the game and its stats better than any of us.

That alone is sufficient to eliminate the notion of "I beat you therefore Im right".

If I fight you IRL and beat you till you cry for mercy, does that make my opinion right?
If you think so, lets do it, you and me. Loser leaves CoH2.org forever.

We can make a poll for which streamer livecasts it (Id prefer Sib myself)

My army experience vs your supermarket shopping cart pushing experience!

Yes/No?
12 Sep 2014, 12:38 PM

I would like to challenge Vetlolcake and Sierra. I'm going to play Axis against them.

:megusta:
12 Sep 2014, 12:51 PM

AM I GOING TO GET TO HOST A FIGHT TO THE DEATH!? Kreygasm
12 Sep 2014, 13:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 11:10 AMKatitof

+1000

I'd like to add Acelolcake, Vetlolcake's twisted twin
12 Sep 2014, 13:47 PM

Dev have often lost matches to community players, even though its granted to assume they know the game and its stats better than any of us.

That alone is sufficient to eliminate the notion of "I beat you therefore Im right".

If I fight you IRL and beat you till you cry for mercy, does that make my opinion right?
If you think so, lets do it, you and me. Loser leaves CoH2.org forever.

We can make a poll for which streamer livecasts it (Id prefer Sib myself)

My army experience vs your supermarket shopping cart pushing experience!

Yes/No?

I would pay to see that fight.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight