Login

russian armor

Countering Snipers

15 Aug 2014, 21:25 PM

Hi,
I have problem with fighting soviet snipers as OKW. I don't have trouble fighting T1, just the snipers are fucking crazy. Against a skilled player you can barely get them. Kübelwagen has not enough dps and gets killed by normal inf before getting the snipers and until the puma or luchs comes out I suffer heavy losses. The only way I bet snipers until now are dropping fallschirmjägers or jägerinfantry behind them out of buildings, but that is only a situational solution, since the snipers need to be near a building.

I would appreciate any kind of help.
Cheers,
Dok
15 Aug 2014, 21:31 PM

Hmmm, i think most of times the best what OKW can do, buy some early indirect fire long range weapon, inf support gun, but this thing so random, as a mortar, for a horrible high price. Properly used Sniper teams for OKW, hard times for you :S
15 Aug 2014, 21:45 PM

I've made peace with the fact that you can't kill them, not until you get a Luchs out anyway. Here's how I deal with sniper heavy strats.

• Build your T1 (Medic Truck) in a forward position. Not out in the open, but behind some shot blockers. Don't place this too far forward either. This will allow you to maintain a field presence by quickly reinforcing sniped squads without having to retreat all the way to the base. This of course after your initial units. I go with Volks, Volks, Kubel, MG34.
  • Follow this up with an ISG.
  • Engage infantry with your Kubel so that it can get to vet1. Once at vet1 enable the ability that reveals units on the minimap. Use your ISG to fire on the snipers in the fog of war. Your kubel will reveal their position.
  • Consolidate your position around your T1 truck, doing soft retreats to reinforce squads and make sure you're holding a fuel point. As soon as you have about a 100 fuel, get your T3 building up and get a Luchs out ASAP. I'm assuming you're set on the AT department by this time. (Raketen(s), Upgraded Volks).
  • With your Luchs you can liberally engage snipers. Use it in combination with your Kubel which can reveal their position to allow the Luchs to engage. It can make quick work of them, even on retreat. Chances are that since he went T1, he won't have an AT gun, so his best source of AT will be guards. Watch out for mines.

15 Aug 2014, 21:48 PM

Yeah, especially snipers/scout-car combo. My enemy also went T2 as my flak-ht arrived. Nothing you can.
15 Aug 2014, 22:05 PM

You can belive ISG/Stuka lucky shoot, or T4 Luchs. Nothing else... Good SU player never let his snipers shooted by Ober, but if you can managed your Obers in shoot range situation, Ober can kill them in 1 sec too, but yes vs good player, this is no solution.
15 Aug 2014, 22:47 PM

As my german Sniper just got killed by Partisans in the last game I played today it should't be hard for an OKW Player to spawn Fallschirms/Jägers (sound akward ^^) in a nearby building to get rid of soviet snipers.

If the map doesn't allow this, you should go for Füsiliers cause they have impressive long range firepower and 6 men per squad. Also the Jagdtiger can help with a posible ISU152 later on ......
15 Aug 2014, 22:55 PM

Füsiliers, Obers, all have 35 shoot range, Sniper team has 50, if a SU player dont too brave/brain dead, you never reach them, this depend not the OKW player, but the SU. Fallshirm/Jagers could be good, but again, if SU player avoid with his sniper teams the unoccupied houses, you can never reach his teams, and hi has the opportunity, if he need his snipers in area where has hause, put in his infantry, and problem solved for him.
16 Aug 2014, 09:16 AM

I've had pretty good success with using the Kubel to force them to retreat. It's the best stop-gap measure to force them off the field until you can field a hard counter.

It just takes a lot of micro to make sure it can dart in and pressure the sniper off the field.
16 Aug 2014, 09:22 AM

rush a puma or a luchs.
20 Aug 2014, 15:16 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2014, 09:22 AMBurts
rush a puma or a luchs.

Yesterday I tried killing a soviet MG with a Puma from 10 feet distance. It didnt kill one man after 10 shots.

Killing snipers with a puma, you must be a true believer in the god of rng..
20 Aug 2014, 15:27 PM

Puma (with at least vet 1) is not bad if you can somehow kill one squad member then chase down the last guy with aimed shot which is a guaranteed kill. I've even see aimed shot kill like 3-4 troops in one shot before if they are clumped together so that could work too.
20 Aug 2014, 15:35 PM

Permanently Banned
try to avoid as many engagements as possible early on, the faster the snipers can kill you, the faster elite infantry (guards/shocks) will come. playing a lot with double snipes recently i can only tell you what is annoying for the soviet side...

build a kübelwagen! but dont use it to hunt down snipers, as you already experienced it can die too fast. if you have a kübel you need to get atleast one shreck volks against the m3 that can come. (sturmpios up close in its back can kill the m3 but it is risky. just use it to keep them at bay and buy yourself time while you are hugging your fuel point and 1-2 vp's. but dont be too static in your defensive position!

it is always better to hold a small territory for sure rather than trying to claim more and loose stuff. what works extremely well for me are obersoldaten (believe it or not) they have extreme long range and high dps, one burst of their lmg can wipe a sniper squad. BUT DONT RUSH IN play it safe and careful double snipers and/or m3 spam into guards is extremely hard to beat, so your best shot is to make your enemy over extend with his snipers. a lot of players will get greedy if you manage to deny them kills, and thats when you have the opportunity to ambush his snipers with falls/jaegers/obers or sturmpios.

use true sight and pick the part of the map for your stronghold where he has the least free space to snipe at max range.

another thing is to annoy him, use 1 volks or something like that to cap on the other side of the map, just to make him move and constantly reposition his army. the more tactical decisions a player has to make, the higher the chances for failure.

stukas are nice to kill snipers, but it is a huge investment, i usually go for a fast t3 and t34 if i see OKW building a stuka, simply because he wont have any tanks for the near future for sure! luchs is nice, but it has the same problem as the stuka, only a little bit less costy. if you get a luchs you have to be sure to have 1-2 raketen. by the time you can field a luchs, t34 aren't too far away.

i hope this helps atleast a little bit
23 Aug 2014, 11:53 AM

Problem with luchs or puma is the several squads of guards he will usually have.

For that reason, maybe a quick stuka could be better, backed by said rakketens/shreks.

OR,

How about a fast AA HT and be really defensive and careful? So long as you support it against guards he shouldnt have too much before a T34 to bother it? Just dont go anywhere you could get flanked and use your force as a screen.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★