Login

russian armor

Assault Infantry invade garrisoned building ability

4 Aug 2014, 14:21 PM

Would anyone think an ability like this would be a good idea?

I feel like garrisoned combat is currently kind of boring and slow in this game, where units can enter a house and permanently lock every entrance into the building until ordered to exit/killed.

I think if certain infantry (assault infantry) were given the ability to invade garrisoned buildings to clear them out, would look and feel a lot more satisfying then standing next to the windows shooting in the building.

There could even be like a tug-of-war type meter above the building when invaded, that displays who's winning in a garrisoned fight.

I feel like this would definitely make garrison combat more interesting.

Thoughts?
4 Aug 2014, 14:28 PM

Good idea. I'd love this. Probably too late for the game... :(

I'd recommend though that Assault infantry would have some significant wind up or something (breaking down doors etc) where they'd count as in negative cover, so the defence could have a chance to defend.
4 Aug 2014, 14:28 PM
Senior Caster Badge

If you want this stuff play Men of War or Close Combat or something. Buildings in CoH 2 are supposed to be slow and boring to clear out, unless you pay munitions for a grenade or get a flamethrower in close enough. That's their purpose. They give people a chance to delay the advance of infantry, at the cost of remaining immobile.
4 Aug 2014, 14:32 PM

If you want this stuff play Men of War or Close Combat or something. Buildings in CoH 2 are supposed to be slow and boring to clear out, unless you pay munitions for a grenade or get a flamethrower in close enough. That's their purpose. They give people a chance to delay the advance of infantry, at the cost of remaining immobile.

I feel this would give a lot more purpose to the now under used assault engineers/assault grenadiers/panzer grens as most people cannot efficiently flank units properly on most maps, this would allow infantry to pass through buildings instead of being forced to go around/avoid entirely.
4 Aug 2014, 15:18 PM

I do not think that this is something I would want in the game. Considering that creating such a feature would probably come at the cost of other features (delaying/cancelling them) I'd rather not go down that road.

Right now buildings are a two-edged sword:
You are harder to dislodge from it with small arms (provides a bit better cover than green cover), but you are more susceptible to mortars, flamethrowers, grenades or simply high explosive weapons which just destroy the whole building. I do not see a problem with them since the new factions' grenades got a buff against garrisons.
4 Aug 2014, 15:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Associating a munitions cost with such an ability would be necessary, and then it would basically be indistinguishable from grenades.
4 Aug 2014, 15:58 PM

Romeo's right but the one useful thing could be to stop the "Exit-Reenter" tactic, which basically nullifies grenades and can be annoying for factions without flamethrowers.

If it happened, would have to be more expensive than nades but act as if the two units were in close proximity. So if it was shocks, the garrisoned guys would get destroyed, etc.
4 Aug 2014, 16:16 PM

I would love this
4 Aug 2014, 16:29 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I could see it as an ability that just forcibly ejects the enemy squad and replaces it with yours for a small munitions cost.

Anything involving two squads being inside a building at the same time seems too different from the way it currently works to make sense.

I still don't think anything like this is really necessary though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 26
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment