Login

russian armor

Soviet shock infantry on 1v1 Stalingrad map

1 Aug 2014, 12:12 PM

Yesterday I faced a Soviet player spamming shock infantry on Stalingrad map (this map sucks)and it tore me to shreds. Narrow streets allow for maxim and mortar support that I found hard to counter even with walking stuka.
The general strategy for OKW to beat Shock infantry is to move back(if they throw smoke grenade) and keep them at range with my infantry, correct?
How does the Flak HT fare against shocks, is it the counter I need to beat those ridiculous assault troops?
Also what 3 maps should I veto as OKW(hardest to win on and just generally suck to play on)for 1v1?
1 Aug 2014, 12:25 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

My Axis vetoes in general: Stalingrad, La Gleize, Semoisky (buildings, buildings everywhere).
1 Aug 2014, 13:37 PM

Soviets are hard to beat on Stalingrad. The Flak Truck is good since Shocks can't hurt it and the map layout makes it difficult to line up AT gun shots if you're careful. However, you've got to watch out for Conscripts with AT grenades: 2-3 grenades will kill the Flak Truck and the terrain makes it easy for Conscripts to close in with Oorah!

Other than that, Fallschirmjagers and Obersoldaten perform decently against Shocks, though not great. I would recommend using Luftwaffe or Fortifications for the MG34, and using 1-2 MG34 teams together to protect one another from flanks. A fast Panzer II (Luchs) is also very good against Soviet infantry and a lot more mobile than the Flak Truck, but this is a bit risky as the Soviet player could have a T34 on the field at a similar time. I would only go for the Panzer II if you have a counter to T34 on the field, for example having at least 2 Panzerschreck upgraded squads.

To be honest, your best bet is just to veto the map.
1 Aug 2014, 14:01 PM

I think I am going to just veto this map from now on. So what is the best way to fight Shocks as OKW? Especially when they are backed up by Maxims, Snipers, Mortars, and Zis3 Guns?
1 Aug 2014, 21:45 PM

I think I am going to just veto this map from now on. So what is the best way to fight Shocks as OKW? Especially when they are backed up by Maxims, Snipers, Mortars, and Zis3 Guns?

Well that's not a fair question... If something is backed by maxim, sniper, mortar and AT guns you cant counter it.

On the other hand, I had success in Stalingrad by building 4 Sturms and run them around in pairs. 2 Sturms counter shocks, the key here is to not close in on them, Shocks DPS is good only at very close range... in mid range sturms are much better.. So by the time shocks close in on you should already have an advantage.

The best time however is to simply block this map.. I hate it even when I play allies.
1 Aug 2014, 22:03 PM

Well this is no longer about 'how to counter shock troops' but more 'about how to play against soviet combined arms'.

What works pretty well is going for T3 to get a Walking Stuka as a primary way to deal with the soviet support weapons. The shock troopers themselves can be taken care of using focus fire, grenades, and having an MG34. If you choose the luftwaffe commander, you can use a stuka barrage + a fallschrimjeager call in behind their support weapons to quickly disrupt his rear lines, while your infantry and MG34 focus on the enemy front line infantry.
12 Aug 2014, 11:43 AM

Obersoldaten with the Stg44 upgrade beat shock troops. When they are focused while approaching your Obersoldaten. Apart from that, try to time grenaders on approaching shock troops so their dps is lowered once they reach their critical point blank range.
Two squads of stormpios work also well against them.
Another way is to deny flankable areas with mgs. Once shocks pop their smoke you just have to reposition your mg.
Mining areas that are used as flank path by shock troops is also an option.
12 Aug 2014, 11:52 AM
Donator 11

I veto both Kholodnies and Faymonville/Semosky Winter, the reasoning for which is the fact OKW already are penalized in terms of Fuel income, and thus any map where the fuel is hard to hold, is hard for OKW.

Stalingrad is actually very easy for OKW, depending upon your build. One recommendation I can make on personal experience is using Panzerfüsiliers, and the buildings. A second Sturmpioneer also does not hurt.

Semoskiy as well is very easy once you figure out the buildings and can use them to your advantage.

Try going Med first, into Flak HQ, into a Panther as soon as possible (or Luch depending on map)
Stalingrad in specific is a very fuel-starved map, and if you can get +17 FU per minute this is usually the best you can hope for. Don't get greedy, and remember your units are more expensive to reinforce than the enemy

While I usually favor a Puma+Stuka build, Stalingrad is simply too fuel-starved for such a move. A Panther is a must, as it is your only non-doctrinal vehicle that can both deal with enemy tanks (heavy and medium) and comes equipped with no less than 3 machineguns, one of which is an upgrade option (one I highly recommend)

Back-teching into a Stuka is also a viable option, as games on Stalingrad tend to drag on at length.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★