Login

russian armor

OKW blob how to deal with it?

27 Jul 2014, 11:01 AM

First of i'm talking about 3vs3 and 4vs4, if you would like to say that 1vs1 is the master gamemode and its the only way to play this game, dont post.

Second I didnt buy WFA factions, so i cant play OKW to see their weakness from their perspective. Tell me how do you deal with the blob as Soviets?

- Maxims,
Dies to frontal charge. Panzers with G43/Obers make short work of them.

- KV-8,
Two shrecks in a 4-5 infantry blob beat it. And there usually is more shrecks and a PIV around.

- Mortars,
Steady mp bleed but mid to late seem to be obsolete due to enemy indirect.

- Shocks,
They do no damage long range, die if you try to close in. Useful on urban maps, but still can die really fast to the blob as you need to get really close.

- Katyusha,
Seems to be best solution now, but having one doesnt effect the enemy all that much. And they are easily destroyed if caught off guard.

- T34/76,
Not sure about this one.

- Off map arty,
Their all attention is focused on that blob, so its hard not to run away when they see flares. And they usually dont have to run back too far.

So how do you deal with them? Seems like there is really no options.

Also im not so sure if OKW is fuel starved at all. Watched one replay where there was 50/50 map control, the only difference was we had 2 less fuel caches. And OKW guys were having more fuel income than us.
27 Jul 2014, 11:17 AM

"The whole is more then the sum of its parts."

3-4 of your suggestions can be put together in a game and at every single moment one or more can be in action.

Shocks and KV-8 close quarters. The KV-8 is terrifying to OKW (I've seen it annihilate squads of mine). Then when they run away, saturate their base with Katyusha fire. Or else bring up a sniper and put down line of sight and an incendiary barrage on their retreat point.

A mortar can be left to fire barrages at their base ad infinitum.

A maxim supported by a Shock or two, with an added KV-8, is deadly. Synergy is what you want. it's more micro intensive and sometimes it won't work, but when it does, do please bag them in chat a little.
27 Jul 2014, 11:23 AM

I can ask the same against allied blob...
27 Jul 2014, 11:26 AM

Well I play mostly 1v1 but that doesn't mean that the solutions should be all that different.

T34 works nicely just 1 shot, bleed some mp, repair if you take to much damage and repeat, off map arty use it after they retreat, if they have a forward healing truck you end up killing lots of infatry or forcing your opponent to giver up the truck big win there.

On top of everything you said there is also the zis barrage, comes early enough to punish blobs, SU-76 is the same as zis comes a bit later, but yeah the most effective way is either katyusha, doctrinal howitzer or maybe even an ISU-152.

About the resource starvation in big team games the fuel and munitions income is just way higher than it would normally be for 1v1 plus consider the fact that OKW gets 100% munition income now, one of their trucks allows to transfer munitions income for fuel or the other way around fuel for munitions it cuts their munitions income by half and increases their fuel income based on how many munitions they were receiving, not sure about the ratio I think its getting 1 extra fuel for each 3 munitions that are cut, again not sure about the ratio.

Hope Im not that far off, I played lots of team games in the past ostheer arty was best way to deal with big blobs of soviet infantry at least in my experience
27 Jul 2014, 14:05 PM

As soviet player I deal with blobs with T34/76 and Shocks/Penals.

T34/76 just kite the blob killing all they can (a vet3 T34 can stop a blob by itself), and then engage CQC with shocks & penals.

Usually is a good idea to smoke the way for the shocks to minimize long and mid range casualities.

A katyusha is fine too, but in big maps they're too easy to flank and destroy. So spamming them is not a good idea.

Maxims can't do nothing against a blob unless you spam them, and even so, they're very inefecctive lategame.
27 Jul 2014, 15:04 PM

B4 works like a charme!!!

2 mortars (normal or 120 mm).

27 Jul 2014, 15:50 PM

Permanently Banned
75mm Gun Carriage (M8 Howitzer tank) or Katyusha in range of OKW retreat point

GG
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 49
Russian Federation 15
United States 11