Login

russian armor

What's the point of playing

18 Jul 2014, 15:03 PM

These days, I've never felt limited in 1v1 because of what commander I had and what my opponent had.
18 Jul 2014, 15:37 PM

Not reading all that.

Play games, shoot mans, give no fucks.
18 Jul 2014, 19:15 PM

I play because it's a happy fun time with my 2v2 bud
19 Jul 2014, 10:07 AM

Gotta love people who don't understand that actually everyone plays for fun.

Well I think there's clearly a contingent of people who play to win, and are happy to use any exploit to do so.
19 Jul 2014, 11:17 AM
Patrion 14

They didn't change anything about the game itself, so if you were having fun before, you still should be having fun now. The war spoils are just another thing on top of the game that you enjoy.
19 Jul 2014, 11:41 AM

Well I think there's clearly a contingent of people who play to win, and are happy to use any exploit to do so.

And what, that makes them unhappy when playing?
19 Jul 2014, 11:50 AM

which is fun to them. so?
19 Jul 2014, 17:32 PM

They didn't change anything about the game itself, so if you were having fun before, you still should be having fun now. The war spoils are just another thing on top of the game that you enjoy.

Missing the point and wrong good sir. War Spoils are built into WFA. I want Rifle, mech, and fortification doctrines
19 Jul 2014, 17:59 PM

Just look at the ladders: their goal is to maximize win/loss ratio on 1 v 1, and not necessarily have fun with the game.

19 Jul 2014, 18:15 PM

@op. stop playing if you don't like the game.
19 Jul 2014, 18:17 PM

Just look at the ladders: their goal is to maximize win/loss ratio on 1 v 1, and not necessarily have fun with the game.

I've been there before in CoH 1. Winning is fun. Most play not to win but for the competition. Plenty get caught up in winning of course, but the underlying idea is that playing for a win is fun (even if I'm not playing to win, it's all in the journey not the destination).

So I would actually lump this under playing for fun. And Relic isn't respecting this cadre, which makes up the "nobility" (pros/dedicated fans) of the COH 2 community
19 Jul 2014, 18:41 PM

What is the goal here? What do you want? What are you trying to demonstrate/discuss in this thread? It's clear you're upset, but otherwise it's all confused. I guess if I take your thread title seriously you want to know what the point of playing is, but people have told you: to have fun. If you aren't having fun, get off the forums, stop playing, get a new hobby. It's incredible to me how many members of this community get so frustrated with the game and instead of just not playing they bitch and moan and continue to play.
19 Jul 2014, 19:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2014, 18:41 PMDanielD
What is the goal here? What do you want? What are you trying to demonstrate/discuss in this thread? It's clear you're upset, but otherwise it's all confused. I guess if I take your thread title seriously you want to know what the point of playing is, but people have told you: to have fun. If you aren't having fun, get off the forums, stop playing, get a new hobby. It's incredible to me how many members of this community get so frustrated with the game and instead of just not playing they bitch and moan and continue to play.

If it isn't clear, the discussion has segwayed. Read the thread. If you don't wanna read the thread, well, no one forced you to post
19 Jul 2014, 23:13 PM

To be honest, youre just telling everyone disagreeing with your opinion that he is missing the point. If vCOH is so great and super competetive and that much better, go ahead, play vCOH.
20 Jul 2014, 04:38 AM

Well, it is silly, but there was a study where the researchers took a group of kids and gave them a "reward" system for reading, with stars or some shit like that, paired with a control group that didn't have such a system in place. The kids who got stars temporarily read more than the control group, but when the stopped giving out stars, the experimental group began reading LESS than the control group.

Basically, when you setup a reward system, it fucks with peoples' motivations in weird ways. I blame war spoils for doing just that, in what I think is mostly a negative way.

Not sure if anyone really like the paid DLC, but they bought it, at least, so it seemed to me like it was working well enough. My response to it was simply to wait until the game/DLC went on sale - no objection to the principle, but I want a good portion of the content, and full price that ramped it up to somewhere around $80-$100 which is too much IMO. Instead I waited and got what I wanted for around $40 in total. Works for me.

edit - clarity.
20 Jul 2014, 04:40 AM
Honorary Member Badge

they also did a study where they positively and negatively educated/enforced a bunch of orphans guess who did better. :D
20 Jul 2014, 04:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2014, 18:41 PMDanielD

+1.

I don't know what is up with the CoH 2 community lately but since WFA launched the amount of crying, whining and trolling has gone up exponentially. They seem to spend more time venting in the forums than playing.

Can't have a positive thread discussion, which is sad.
20 Jul 2014, 04:45 AM

Sorry, I wrote than in a misleading way - the stars weren't "taken away," it was just that they stopped giving them out, so they never lost their rewards, just stopped getting new ones. The conclusion: giving out the stars motivated the kids, but trained them to place less value on reading itself.

You know when people say "I played for three hours and got nothing but a stupid face plate, why bother"? That's what I mean. They were playing before with no possibility of a reward, but with random rewards thrown into the equation, the playing itself loses some of its value for some reason.

edit:

Maybe this is a psychology experiment?

"What if we took something that people already did for fun, and then attached an aggravating award system to it?" It's actually fascinating.
20 Jul 2014, 06:20 AM

Sorry, I wrote than in a misleading way - the stars weren't "taken away," it was just that they stopped giving them out, so they never lost their rewards, just stopped getting new ones. The conclusion: giving out the stars motivated the kids, but trained them to place less value on reading itself.

You know when people say "I played for three hours and got nothing but a stupid face plate, why bother"? That's what I mean. They were playing before with no possibility of a reward, but with random rewards thrown into the equation, the playing itself loses some of its value for some reason.

edit:

Maybe this is a psychology experiment?

"What if we took something that people already did for fun, and then attached an aggravating award system to it?" It's actually fascinating.

Can you please propagate this study and your opinions stemming from it throughout this forum? I've long suspected an effect like that was going on

We're bitching on the forums because the game isn't fun for most. Ever since WFA came out, the amount of bullshit in the game went to too high of levels for it to be enjoyable. So we're doing the only thing we can do, and that's bitch to Relic
20 Jul 2014, 07:55 AM

It would seem you are infact not "playing the game for fun" despite your claim, because as you repeatedly point out, you are infact "not having fun playing". See what I mean?

DLC was criticised as Pay to Win.
Warspoils is now criticised as Play to Win.

Relic just needs to make the Warspoils drop system more rational.
Duplicates and proliferation of faceplates in particular are aggravating those with "bad luck".
A trade system would also be an excellent lateral solution with a number of inherent benefits.

As to studies on reward/punishment incentive systems, they are being misrepresented and misunderstood.
I guarantee you, that if I place a gun to your head, you will perform atleast as well, if not better, than if I offer you 1million bucks

Thread has "segewayed" (whatever that means), because you keep changing your story and trying to weasel out into new generalisations and ambiguity, instead of simplynstating your point clearly, concisely and coherently and sticking to it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★