Login

russian armor

Stuttering when Smoke/Fire appears

11 Jul 2014, 09:36 AM

Hello,

Ive recently bought a new pc, with an i5 4670k , GTX770, 8 GB Ram. I'm playing on 1680x1050 so I expect the game to run smooth. However, when smoke gets dropped or those fire strikes, and I hover above those effects, the game tends to stutter a lot. Otherwise the game runs quite smooth on all settings maxed. Is this some sort of driver issue? Are other people experiencing this too?
11 Jul 2014, 09:50 AM

Hey Player,

I've got the same problem.(i7 2700k, GTX770, 8 GB RAM) I think it has something to do with the GTX770 drivers.
11 Jul 2014, 21:39 PM

CoH 2 is the worst game I have ever played when it comes to optimization, it's downright shameful for such a great game to run like crap.

There's no driver support for either Nvidia nor AMD (Newer drivers won't improve performance as long as Relic does not work with Nvidia/Amd on them), no Sli/Crossfire support even if the game supports supersampling. Which is ironic because the only way to run super sampling/ubersampling at a playable framerate is with 2 or 3 video cards in Sli/Crossfire...

I bet you could have a GTX Titan Z and still not be able to get a constant 60fps with maxed out graphics.

In short, it has nothing to do with your drivers, just turn down the image quality setting to medium or low to remove all the smoke, fire and particle effects. Never run AA above low.

5 Aug 2014, 01:02 AM

I'm experiencing this as well on a GTX 670 when otherwise I can get solid framerates. No matter which drivers I use the performance hit is big with smoke and incendiary flame, especially if you zoom in on it.

It might be an nVidia card issue with the CoH 2 engine (which supposedly likes AMD more) or it could be just the fact that the smoke effect requires much more GPU power than the usual, other stuff displayed. It looks to me like the engine actually uses many transparent layers to produce a single smoke round. Add several from a plane smoke drop or assault artillery and it all stacks up.
5 Aug 2014, 05:08 AM

I have the same problem.

Specs:
i5 4590
8gb ram
R9 270X
1440x900

All on max settings and generally runs smooth except for when there is lots of smoke and I noticed especially zooming in on smoke makes it like a slideshow. I think it is something to do with poorly optimised smoke particles or the like.
9 Aug 2014, 06:07 AM

i5 4670K OC@ 4.0GHz
16GB ram
GTX780
dual screen 1920x1080
1Gbps Internet

It is smooth and 50~60 fps in all condition.
9 Aug 2014, 07:10 AM

fx 8320 OC @ 4.2GHZ
8gb RAM
GTX 770
the only difference from your setup is cpu.
I dont have any troubles with smoke and fire, but I always lag on the start of the game and all my games start at 20 to 40 sec mark. This is very, very annoying =(
10 Aug 2014, 00:30 AM
Patrion 310

The more and more I read about people having performance problems, it seems its related to Nvidia cards. Is there anyone that has a 780 or higher who can post performance other than Pory.

Are people judging fps by what happens in game or the benchmark - the benchmark will always show lower numbers than what actually happens in game.

It might be worth people downloading MSI Afterbuner. You can set it to log various stats including FPS, GPU usage and GPU clocks. Might help narrow down the problem (GPU usage should generally be @ 99%, if it isn't then something is bottle necking it). If GPU clock is dropping it could either be a power or heat issue. Once you have all the stats (it saves in a text file) you can open with excel to work out averages / graphs etc to figure out how often the FPS is dropping.

Edit: Seems excel just imports all the data into 1 column, not handy for sorting data but you can atleast get a good idea of what rough fps you are getting and the other stats at that time.

Maybe post your settings up. Also check ram usage as with various things running (Steam, Origin, Mouse & KB software plus some other crap) my usage will hover around 7GB but I do have lots of stuff running.

For what its worth, here is my spec:

i7-2600K @ 4.7GHz
8GB DDR3 1600
AMD 290X @ Stock
Game is running off an SSD
Windows 7

I'm pretty sure I am getting over 60 fps in most 2v2's. I will do some logging and post the results though.

Edit: Ok I logged a few games, although they were not very long but I am getting 60+ fps all the time (except @ the victory strike) but normally get 70 - 90 FPS with the following settings:

10 Aug 2014, 12:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2014, 21:39 PMFrencho

In short, it has nothing to do with your drivers, just turn down the image quality setting to medium or low to remove all the smoke, fire and particle effects. Never run AA above low.

That's rubbish, High End cards can run the game smooth, with FX.
I know it has poor optimization, but you're a bit too negative here :)

16 Sep 2014, 15:24 PM

fx 8320 OC @ 4.2GHZ
8gb RAM
GTX 770
the only difference from your setup is cpu.
I dont have any troubles with smoke and fire, but I always lag on the start of the game and all my games start at 20 to 40 sec mark. This is very, very annoying =(

I had this problem with FX6300.

Solved by putting Coh2 on an SSD and lowering texture quality to medium. Loads fast now.
16 Sep 2014, 15:25 PM

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight