Login

russian armor

Special Anti-tank rounds for 57mm

11 Jul 2014, 04:33 AM

How much extra penetration do they do? I saw them penetrate the front of a king tiger, and was quite surprised.
11 Jul 2014, 04:35 AM

I wonder, is there a point in using the m36 armor piercing rounds ability? Its not like its already shooting AP rounds... its just i find them to deflect off of tanks as much as regular rounds.
11 Jul 2014, 05:20 AM

I wonder, is there a point in using the m36 armor piercing rounds ability? Its not like its already shooting AP rounds... its just i find them to deflect off of tanks as much as regular rounds.

If you are going up against panther or tiger frontal armor or even against vet2 P4s, its pretty great ability to use.

At least there is no reason not to use it.
11 Jul 2014, 06:50 AM

I don't understand why US need to dump munition every time, just making their shitty ATG getting in par of Zis and Pak40.

But even with the AP round, they still suck in damage, back in vCOH1 2 57mm with AP round, a Tiger in front will die.
11 Jul 2014, 07:06 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Pretty sure the 57mm does 160 damage like the other ATGs so the only thing worse about it is penetration and probably reload compared to the pak 40, but it's got a nifty vet 1 ability. I may be wrong, but I think I heard AP brings it up to the penetration of the other ATGs.

Wish I could have its vet 1 ability over the pak's target weakpoint which has a nasty habit of not going off or striking the ground or being useless against moving targets which doesn't seem to affect the StuG which is the best unit to use TWP from.

Also the AP rounds in CoH 1, while good had a stupidly short duration where you could only get 1-2 shots off depending when you activated it.
11 Jul 2014, 07:08 AM

Pretty sure the 57mm does 160 damage like the other ATGs so the only thing worse about it is penetration and probably reload compared to the pak 40, but it's got a nifty vet 1 ability.

Wish I could have it over the pak's target weakpoint which has a nasty habit of not going off or striking the ground or being useless against moving targets which doesn't seem to affect the StuG which is the best unit to use TWP from.

Also the AP rounds in CoH 1, while good had a stupidly short duration where you could only get 1-2 shots off depending when you activated it.

It is not that short and AP round was insanely high damage, a Panther can be taken down in 4 shot.
11 Jul 2014, 12:23 PM

The 57mm anti tank gun is (in my opinion) actually the best anti tank gun with a huge but. Why is that?

It comes quite early and is cheap at 270 manpower.
It has the biggest arc (+/- 40° to each side, others have +/- 30°).
It shoots rather fast (bit slower than PaK, faster than ZiS).
It has an acceptable (115 / 125 / 140) penetration that allows you to fight low-tech vehicles. This penetration massively increases when it vets up. At Vet3 it's (149.5 / 162.5 / 182) and if you pop the AP rounds at that level it's (224.5 / 243.75 / 273). That's sufficient to pen almost everything.
It has 60 range and at Vet1 gets 70 range with the ability.

Now why do these things make it great? It's one of the most cost-effective ATGuns. Due to the big arc usually one ATG is sufficient to cover a part, where others often need two. The pen is sufficient to take on the light Oberkommando vehicles, and Ostheer HTs and the Ostwind. Against the Stug (140 armor) it also penetrates rather often, only vs PIV you should pop the AP rounds. Usually one (or at least two) penetrating shells will already give you Vet1 at which point in time it covers an area almost as big as two other ATGs*. Besides that just think about it. 70 range - that's as much as an Elefant or an ISU-152. Due to it's really low cost it will vet up quickly and at vet3 with popped AP rounds it can combat even the Panther or German heavy tanks. Still at just 270 value.

Those things offer a protection comparable to the other anti tank guns in all stages of the game at a far lower price point. Yes, losing it hurts more as a fresh one lategame is not as good, but with the additional free MP / popcap you should be able to field something to protect it better ;)

*For the mathnerds:
circle_radius(70) * 80/360 = 3420
circle_radius(60) * 60/360 = 1885 (*2 = 3770)
11 Jul 2014, 13:16 PM

I saw a vet 3 AT gun penetrate the front of a King Tiger. Makes sense now.

At Vet3 it's (149.5 / 162.5 / 182) and if you pop the AP rounds at that level it's (224.5 / 243.75 / 273).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 47
unknown 18
Russian Federation 10
United States 14

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %