Login

russian armor

This is why i watch top level RTS Players

22 Mar 2013, 04:56 AM

It is not a straw man argument, as i only ever kept with the same argument. I never compared it to something non-equivalent.

I am simply arguing two things:Baseball is not dying, and Starcraft is.

By extension, I am also arguing that video games are subject to technological advances baseball is not subject to.

Before you distort things further:
  • Starcraft is dying in the sense that eventually it will be technologically outclassed and played by few. Could happen in 3-5 years. Could happen in 10-20. etc.
  • Baseball is not capable of being technologically outclassed, as it will keep getting slightly more improved, but is still the same basic game.
  • Same goes for most other sports. Technology will improve the game, but it is still the same game played differently.

So thats it. I have given up trying to convince you, as you have fallen to ad hominem, straw man arguments, misuse of the term "straw man argument", and are just plain changing the subject.
Goodbye.
22 Mar 2013, 05:37 AM

Could happen in 10-20. etc.

so your comment really means nothing
great prediction.

you didn't address hockey.

NHL '94 has already been outclassed.
so was Brood War .. both are still alive and well.
22 Mar 2013, 11:33 AM

• Starcraft is dying in the sense that eventually it will be technologically outclassed and played by few. Could happen in 3-5 years. Could happen in 10-20. etc.
  • Baseball is not capable of being technologically outclassed, as it will keep getting slightly more improved, but is still the same basic game.

That means it will die, not that it's dying. You'll die one day, that doesn't mean you're dying. If Starcraft 2 grows with 2000 more people online on average every year for 5 years, it's not dying. When the numbers start going down then you might call its competitive scene dying.
22 Mar 2013, 20:19 PM

strategy titles go through a completely different "popularity arc" than do standard action titles.

some cases worthy of examination...

Intellivision Utopia,
Atari 800 MULE,
N64 Ogre Battle,
Starcraft1 pre-expansion ( RA2 kicked its ass in sales in the first 2 years and deservedly so)

i can go on and on and on...

many of these strategy titles start with a lacklustre beginning...
floundering for a while

only to develop into cult classics with a hard core following that will never quit the game.

From this guys broad definition of "dying" well Starcraft1 was "on its way to dying", but Blizzard continued to support it and tweak it and adjust its balance a full two years after its initial release. Until this time no other major PC game continued to receive this kind of post sales support.

Starcraft Brood War continues to live on today. A really great strategy title is "timeless" and transcends technological leaps. AKA Atari 800 MULE, Chess,

Microsoft isn't even changing AoE2.. just updating the graphics. This shows you the longevity of a great strategy game.
22 Mar 2013, 21:12 PM

I am no SC2 fanboi, by no means, but I do have to admit that it is not dying. It is just that games work out in cycles, and as a cycle ends, it begins to lose popularity. Thi sis partly on purpose! Usually the developer is busy working on something else.

There's also a big, BIG difference, that simply doesn't compare games to sports: videogames are not unified. There's no single governing body (such as FIFA) for them, except the developers themselves.

There's no real guidelines or protocols for e-sports, so teams are under no obligations, and also have little in the way of commercial rights within the sport. They are at the mercy of developers changing the game at their will.

Why?

Because even though games such as SC2 are designed to be e-sport friendly, they are first and foremost a commercial retail product. That's changing, and fast, but the very fact that HoTS is including a casual matchmaker, and catering to the casual audience is proof that this is still a big priority.
23 Mar 2013, 12:19 PM

I won't even bother to choose a person to which I reply. The whole discussion is just weird.

I'll just mention this: I know Norway's best Starcraft 2-player (Snute). In Norway you are able to check the income of any person on the internet and his readings aren't exactly stellar :(

Maybe there's more from sponsors etc., but I doubt it. I'll ask him for an accurate number if you so desire next time he is online. What I currently see is equal to 1/5th of my beginner-salary when I'm done with my education (Computer Science, five years). Even though I'm studying (and the chosen field is quite attractive in terms of salary), 1/5th is a bit unimpressive when you are the very best player in Norway.

There is no way to maintain a proper pro player-base unless they can be paid properly. One could also ask if there's a purpose in doing so (wouldn't non-pro, good players provide quite good entertainment as well?).
23 Mar 2013, 13:55 PM

He didn't get signed until January this year though. The tax-listings are from last year.

I also saw a reddit thread who listed the top SC:II players earnings, and yes; except for a chosen few, it isn't a lot. Then again you don't have to win that many tournaments to suddenly multiply that a few times.
23 Mar 2013, 16:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2013, 13:55 PMDwighty
He didn't get signed until January this year though. The tax-listings are from last year.

I also saw a reddit thread who listed the top SC:II players earnings, and yes; except for a chosen few, it isn't a lot. Then again you don't have to win that many tournaments to suddenly multiply that a few times.

Yeah. True enough.

I just hope he won't regret the choice of going for SC2 as a career (as in, either not becoming good enough or the community failing to receive sufficient funding).

If it should happen that his career-choice fails and mine doesn't, then I will most likely offer him a neat job. :D
23 Mar 2013, 20:43 PM

It's ok to like or not like SC2, but people with 0 fucking clue should really just leave and not comment anything, you make yourselves look bad and retarded, avoid it.

This MLG was awesome btw :) Lovin hots!

http://youtu.be/h8j3ue9fegg
24 Mar 2013, 17:51 PM

This MLG was awesome btw :) Lovin hots!

http://youtu.be/h8j3ue9fegg

by North American standards MLG is awesome.
Relative to the rest of what is out there.. MLG is ok.

check this out ...

24 Mar 2013, 20:28 PM

I'm not american ^^. And notice how I referred to THIS particular MLG, usually MLG's are not so good, I agree.

Problem with PL for me is that it is 4am when it goes live :(
25 Mar 2013, 10:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2013, 12:19 PMTZer0
I
I'll just mention this: I know Norway's best Starcraft 2-player (Snute). In Norway you are able to check the income of any person on the internet and his readings aren't exactly stellar :(

..and suddenly his readings looked way better. 8D
25 Mar 2013, 23:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2013, 16:26 PMTZer0

Yeah. True enough.

I just hope he won't regret the choice of going for SC2 as a career (as in, either not becoming good enough or the community failing to receive sufficient funding).

If it should happen that his career-choice fails and mine doesn't, then I will most likely offer him a neat job. :D

Sponsors are always looking for decent westerners. If you look at it skill-wise, most of them doesn't hold up very well vs the koreans, but still do OK money-wise. On that list I think I remember HuK being in the 60k4 which is fairly decent. I'd say if he continues to show off, he will be OK :)

by North American standards MLG is awesome.
Relative to the rest of what is out there.. MLG is ok.

check this out ...

Pro-league is the only twitchTV channel I bought a paid subscription for. Gotta see that Flash yo.
28 Mar 2013, 00:13 AM

Cooler than Pro Ultra Top $1,000k tourney finals.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★