Login

russian armor

(IDEA) A Company of Heroes Event

17 Mar 2013, 03:35 AM
Honorary Member Badge

The idea is to create an event that takes advantage of all gaps in between CoH tournaments that go on yearly; to keep the CoH momentum going so to speak year round. Something that can be done every week whether there is a tournament going on or not. My idea is instead of a tournament that takes a lot more time, energy and resources to set up. Have something dramatically simpler and far easier to achieve on a weekly basis.

It is pretty simple (compared to a tourney anywho) every week (on whatever day is decided upon.) I or we find 2-8 players (leaving my options open) willing to go at it in a best of 3 or 5 depending on what there is time for that week. It hopefully have it livecasted on twitch (that would be the ultimate goal.) but a weekly you-tube video would probably be more achievable. As of now what you would win would be Bragging rights. To be totally honest I really don't want to make this prize orientated or have anything to do with money at all. Partly due to the format since its not a tournament not really fair other people that may have been passed up. also because I want people to play because they love playing the game of Company of Heroes. (unless ofc the participants want to put some money on the table. :D)

my plan with the contestants is that I want to eventually be able to have players signup for this weeks match and then have a voting system so fans can vote in who they want to go at each week.

obliviously I would need help from at-least a few people to get this off the ground (a few being probably a large understatement.) I would be grateful for any help at all that I could get frankly without this idea doesn't have a chance at taking off. Heres whati would need help doing

Name
ive thought of a few but they seem to be already in use the day I aim to do this would probably be Friday, Saturday or Monday though im available every day of the week I don't know when a better time would be. So I thought id let you people see if coh2.org can think of a better name for this event.

Commentators
since im not a commentator I would need commentators the best situation I have 2 or 3 semi full time commentators but im not that unrealistic so even a revolving door of commentators would be okay with me so long as I could find commentators each week willing to whore themselves out for some publicity. :P maybe I could pull off commentating but I've never done it before, though I do like yammer about statistics and other Bullshit like that. :D

Caster
if the show was to be live I would need one I think my computer is able to pull off casting in high enough quality really just a matter of if I can pull off all the other stuff you have to do like follow the game and work with the casters which again would be something ive never done. Probably be best to find one.

Admins/Refs
though I really wouldn't need much in refs as its only 1 match and pretty easy to maintain. If and only if the event were live I would then need some admins or mods as they call them on twitch to help keep the potential crowds in line. :D

thats all I can think of at the moment though I probably missed quite a bit. If your willing to help please contact me by posting, PM or on steam. If you have any ideas like a name for this or anything else please let me know below thanks for any help or advice ahead of time that i do happen to receive.

edit: Apologies for potential bad grammer and or spelling. I will be skimming over this in the next couple of days to fix any problems.
17 Mar 2013, 07:09 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Your idea sounds like a League. Leagues in various forms have been tried dozens of times, most of them fail quickly. The only one I can think of that ran for a while with active players is the german league that used hicksi's code on fulltimegeek and hq-coh as it's forums. The main problem with leagues is that "bragging rights" is not enough incentive for players to organize their own matches.

We have the league code and plan to build a league on coh2.org for the new game when it launches. The top of the premiere division will be displayed on the portal and the whole system will be tied to our events system and replay system. We will go after prizes for season winners, and have a relegation system for new players to quickly enter the top league, and inactive (or bad) players to be bumped down.

If there are people that really want to see this happen, what we need the most right now is php coders to build the system. It's already designed and hicksi has already integrated all of the ratings formulas. All we need to do is bring it into the php code of the website, which is based on the Yii framework. Ask around and see if any of your coder friends are familiar with Yii/php and point them our way!
17 Mar 2013, 08:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I've got some ideas for a league system already. Just have to see if it's possible to achieve it :P
17 Mar 2013, 17:57 PM
Honorary Member Badge

i wasn't even thinking a league system Ive watched league systems fall apart to often. they just seem to complicated to ever work atleast now a days. also ofc i wouldn't leave it soley up to players to organize the match either. be nice though if that were the case.

also since I have no income and i was thinking what could i give players for winning besides bragging rights well i finally thought of something.

a rock. :P

17 Mar 2013, 18:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge

You're talking more of 'showmatches' then?
17 Mar 2013, 19:06 PM
Honorary Member Badge

You're talking more of 'showmatches' then?

i don't know exactly what showmatch is but you sound like your on the right track.

basically its exactly how i described in my post. I find 2 players willing to duke it out in a best of 3 or 5 then live-cast it. however if i can't get anyone to help me make this a reality it won't happen as i can't do this alone.
17 Mar 2013, 19:18 PM

Yea, I understood right away your idea.. I dunno why guys here thought about league stuffs..

So you mean, someday, let's say hans goes to inverse like "you wanna fight bitch ? I eat you bo5" and both start the stream with correct title and inverse win 3-0 ? MVGame

I already did that with hans once, a nice bo5, was funny
17 Mar 2013, 19:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2013, 19:18 PMPepsi
Yea, I understood right away your idea.. I dunno why guys here thought about league stuffs..

So you mean, someday, let's say hans goes to inverse like "you wanna fight bitch ? I eat you bo5" and both start the stream with correct title and inverse win 3-0 ? MVGame

I already did that with hans once, a nice bo5, was funny

yes much closer only take the replays from the bo3 or bo5 and livecast them. like snf does. instead of having a full tourney that takes the entire day to do just have 1 match a week. (no league, no tourney.)

17 Mar 2013, 19:33 PM

Oh, so you mean let's make a non-prize SNF ?
18 Mar 2013, 08:48 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

There would be prizes but at the end of the Season. It's like football leagues, after a year (or to be more accurate a season) the one at the 1st/2nd/3rd position would win something :)

But for COH2 Seasons would last like a few months, not a whole year
18 Mar 2013, 09:19 AM
Honorary Member Badge

There would be prizes but at the end of the Season. It's like football leagues, after a year (or to be more accurate a season) the one at the 1st/2nd/3rd position would win something :)

But for COH2 Seasons would last like a few months, not a whole year

I guess I need to figure out why you guys can't figure out what im saying.

edit:I'll be back (when I figure this out.)
18 Mar 2013, 19:11 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I'm talking of our leagues and our Seasons, those of coh2.org ^^ not those of WiFiDi :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★