Login

russian armor

Volkssturm commander?

10 Jul 2014, 21:37 PM

Not in 1944. The term 'elite division', in an absolute sense, did not exist for the Germans in the west front in 1944. You would have go to 1943 or earlier to easily pinpoint elite iterations of divisions, such as 78th Sturm division @ Citadel or 7th Flieger division @ Crete.

American and British armored divisions and airborne formations were much better trained and organized overall. The best trained para unit in the west, Fallschirmjager regiment 6, only trained for 3 months with most of their unit being 17 and 18 year olds (the Lions of Carentan,FJ regiment 6 1943-1945). In comparison the 101st/82nd had been at maneuvers for over two years with experienced leaders.

Formation quality can be uncovered if you study the formation and training of the divisions individually and during specific periods of times. Germany did not have elite divisions or units in the fall of 1944. They had units that were better than their others or more special, that's all. None were experts. Their best divisions can be characterized as inexperienced but fully trained, such as the 12th SS PzD at Normandy. The 2nd Panzer division and the 116th Panzer division Windhund also had a good reputation.

In the Ardennes offensive, none of the divisions were as good as the ones in normandy and they were the worst attacking mobile formations for the Germans up to this point. I can source you on these if you want. 'The Ardennes offensive, the German view' has some data about this including their KW ratings.

Not necessarily. While the overall strength of the German Army wasn't as strong as it was from 39-41, it did have the benefit of having Panzer SS and Heer divisions that were extremely skilled, and had a considerable amount of experience in battle. When the Allies started their campaign in Western Europe, German high command transferred divisions/men who fought in nearly every major battle in WW2 to reinforce Western Europe's defences, so I definitely think the title of "elite divisions" is appropriate and why that persona fits the OKW perfectly. Another thing to take into consideration is that some divisions performed well above any Allied divisions, while others didn't enjoy that same success, so you're correct in stating that not every German division were elite formations..

I love the game though, so I don't care about the history too much.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 29
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment