Login

russian armor

OKW players need help vs buildings

27 Jun 2014, 16:40 PM

Alright so I was recently massacred by great building use by my opponent. I have seen the huge weakness of early game OKW and have been extensively using it vs them. Buildings are the early game terror for OKW and here is why:

1) Every other faction has easy early access to grenades, OKW do not, T2 is quite expensive and long to set up. Not only that but avoiding grendades is not terribly hard, and unlike the molotov which kinda prevents your opponent from getting back in the building for a bit, after avoiding a regular grenade they can just simply get back in the structure and waste your munitions

2)Sturm pios have no grenades, and Volks grens have pretty poor DPS. The little AT gun is alright at dealing with them, but not effective enough to really make a huge difference. The fourth unit you have access to is the Kubel wagon which is awful for clearing buildings

3)Even after you get T2 or T3, the flack track is probably the most effective counter play to extensive building use. The infantry gun is super expensive and does alright, but like mortars it takes awhile to make a dent your opponents army

So who has counter play? Should we try our best to screen building entrances while we reinforced barb wire them off? Its kind of a hard situation to deal with early game, and on certain maps even harder.
27 Jun 2014, 16:46 PM

I'm playing soviet and OKW has some decent nades + sturmpios to come and kill some of my units. I don't see a problem here. Extensive building use is always a pain.
27 Jun 2014, 17:12 PM

I'm playing soviet and OKW has some decent nades + sturmpios to come and kill some of my units. I don't see a problem here. Extensive building use is always a pain.

Its not necessarily a problem, its just really good vs OKW early game compared to other factions and I just wanted to point it out / see if people have ideas vs it. Plus what you just listed for clearing a building is what, 560 MP plus grenades which also means its been a few minutes that you have been at a severe disadvantage because you still have to get another Tier to unlock grenades
28 Jun 2014, 08:27 AM
Patrion 310

the OKW nades do not do considerable damage to units in buildings, i agree. But I go for the tier2 le.IG 18, which can considerably quickly take down units inside. It will sacrifice any agressive play though.
29 Jun 2014, 10:55 AM

Against fortified troops, you can also use specials AT nades from the special operation commander. They works like charms against garnisoned units. This commander is also a good choice for "camping maps" (like semois) : Flar + Stuka, and enjoy the fireworks !
29 Jun 2014, 13:16 PM

Nades are useless if the enemy can micro out and back in early game. :(
29 Jun 2014, 15:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

double Soviets with FHQ combined with maxims+mortars on semoisky against double OKW is just too much fun :D
29 Jun 2014, 15:14 PM

double Soviets with FHQ combined with maxims+mortars on semoisky against double OKW is just too much fun :D

Soviet easy win I suppose
29 Jun 2014, 15:16 PM

wow I dont even know what I would do if it were double OKW vs that. An infantry gun would be necessary at least, and maybe an early stuka?
29 Jun 2014, 15:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

well I only played 2 matchs with that setup yet. If there is an oshteer with MHT doc never go fhq.
Both times OKW set up their trucks around their cutoff point but since they cant force of the cons and maxims in the middle cus of reinforce and weak suppresiion platform (kubel) they will lose the fight int he middle making their trucks vulnerable. That infantry artillerything is good but expensive so you will onlyu face 1 or 2 and soviet mortars have good range on this map.
The best thing you can do is to avoid the middle and get a walking stuka and atguns.
29 Jun 2014, 16:07 PM

Yeah I am preventing this in the early game by holding key houses with volks and just stall. Create green cover sandbags elsewhere to let you hold the line. Try break your opponents cons/rifle health down as much as possible.

With OKW I always try incorporate the Infantry Support Gun (ISU) to help me dislodge my opponent from buildings but also turn mid-long range cover volk vs con/rifle in my favour.

I always aim for 3 volks (1 shreck), 1 sturmpioneer, 1 ISU and 1 rakenwerfer for my early game needs and it lets me deal with everything.
30 Jun 2014, 15:27 PM

If you put one sturmpioneer at point blank range next to a house (optimally in cover) on the side where there aren't many windows to shoot out of you can kill the rifle inside really quick.
30 Jun 2014, 17:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 15:27 PMS73v0
If you put one sturmpioneer at point blank range next to a house (optimally in cover) on the side where there aren't many windows to shoot out of you can kill the rifle inside really quick.

Yea you can do that, There are not a whole lot of buildings you can do that too though, Even if you do that should there be a second squad near by they will just focus fire your expensive sturm pios down and force their retreat. You will probably almost kill the unit in the building, but now most of your dps has to retreat.
7 Jul 2014, 19:59 PM

In that case, though, you're trying to take down two units with one unit, which is always difficult. If they have a second unit taking down your Sturmpioners you should also use another unit to take down that unit.
7 Jul 2014, 22:15 PM

Units are vulnerable enough in garrison cover now that I find sturmpios in good cover can just outshoot them. Against MG's just strafe corners so it constantly has to rotate, against infantry just find some nice cover.

Otherwise, flack track works fine.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United Kingdom 170
unknown 8
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %