Login

russian armor

How to deal with mg34

27 Jun 2014, 04:54 AM

So at 1cp or something luftwaffe get 2 mg34s and lock down half the map. Flanking doesn't work because of sturmpioneers and no bar upgrade until much later in the game. Even if you rush out bars at best you can only have 1 or 2 squads with BARs. US grenades seem to do lackluster damage compared to volks grenades. Any ideas on how to counter mg34s?
27 Jun 2014, 05:06 AM

The AA halftrack thing does pretty well against them.
27 Jun 2014, 05:07 AM

You need to use Smokes, the greatest thing that American infantry have
27 Jun 2014, 05:33 AM

Smokes are boss. If you don't want to invest the money, then go cap somewhere else. MG 34's aren't all that mobile.
27 Jun 2014, 21:48 PM

I've found the smokes to be a bit iffy. They seem to take a long time to actually take effect or something. Maybe I just haven't got the hang of how to optimally use them, but sometimes they're amazing and sometimes they don't do a whole lot.
27 Jun 2014, 22:56 PM

Smoke nades are the best vs Mgs. Use it and then nade it or volley fire it.
28 Jun 2014, 04:05 AM

I've noticed with both AA halftracks is that it tends to destroy the cover in front of the unit first before it starts to do damage to the squads behind it. Until every obstacle is destroyed in between the halftrack and squad then it does a ton of damage. Also 2 ratten hits or 1 panzershreck and a surprise puma can take it out before it has time to deal with the mg-34.

I'm gonna try 4 rifle into quick grenades but I've found volks grenades so much better than rifle grenades. I'll like to see the stats but maybe it's just me trippin'.
28 Jun 2014, 04:15 AM

I found smoke grenades to sometimes fail at blocking the sight of the MG34 from time to time, so instead I would get the bar upgrade for some riflemen, afterwards I would place them into green cover, or make them green cover to stand behind while they snipe the MG34 through focus fire.
28 Jun 2014, 13:03 PM

Grenades are good option, especially smoke nades, but Bars gives you good firepower to weak MG34 crew members, when Rifles withj Bar are in building they can easily clear out MG or at least force them to retreat
28 Jun 2014, 15:52 PM

Smoke nades or pathfinders to snipe mg crew, it works very well.
28 Jun 2014, 19:02 PM

Pathfinders are actually bad at shooting infantry, they are good vs volks or sturmpios on range but are weak vs other infantry, even tho the unit description says they are good at long range, they're not in real
28 Jun 2014, 23:25 PM

Pathfinders are actually bad at shooting infantry, they are good vs volks or sturmpios on range but are weak vs other infantry, even tho the unit description says they are good at long range, they're not in real

Yeah I've found them extremely underwhelming, especially for a 2 CP unlock.

I've been avoiding much commander usage though, mostly focusing on learning the core army atm. But I tried these guys a couple of times and they just seem like they come out too late in the game to do much of use.

29 Jun 2014, 04:16 AM

With double bars pathfinders actually do a tonne of damage with 2 snipers and 2 bars but the problem is that most if not all american infantry are so squishy. Pathfinders, assault engies, rear echelons will die like flies when focussed.
29 Jun 2014, 12:15 PM

yeah, not a big fan of the pathfinders, I'm still playing the US like I did in coh1 with a lot of close range kills via flanking and pathfinders don't really fit that style imo.

Smoke is pretty useful but otherwise, if the mg is in buildings like on semoisky, keep in mind that not all buildings have the equivalent amount of windows, if you position a unit with a full auto weapon on the weakside at close range with the mg shooting at other units and not out that window, the unit on the side can shoot with virtual impunity. I've seen sturmpios do it so many times and they wreck units in buildings at that range if they don't take many losses.
30 Jun 2014, 00:19 AM

Here's a good replay that kind of shows how to contend with machine gun heavy strategies.
30 Jun 2014, 07:19 AM

Yeah I mostly have trouble with it on the new WFA maps where the mg 34 can enter a house overlooking the fuel or VP and it's impossible to get him out.
2 Jul 2014, 22:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 07:19 AMS73v0
Yeah I mostly have trouble with it on the new WFA maps where the mg 34 can enter a house overlooking the fuel or VP and it's impossible to get him out.

I wouldn't say its impossible. It does require more micro/attention.

assuming you have 1 rifle squad vs 1 MG in a building

also assume that you have unlocked smoke and have the munitions to use it.

you run your Rifle Squad up on the building.

You get quickly suppressed. (not pinned)

you fire a smoke grenade in front of the window the MG is firing from.

the suppression ends and your unit rushes the house, circle strafing it so they can shoot in at it as they circle around it.

you are sure NOT to try and run around the long side of the building so the MG doesn't have time to set up. so you stick to jumping back and forth from 2 sides over and over again. The MG constantly jumping from one window to another to get a shot off at you but never having the time to set up and shoot.

Eventually it dies or they exit the building, or reinforcements arrive (friendly or hostile), either way that is how you use a smoke grenade to take out a MG in a building. I've been doing it with shock Troops for a while now. and trust me the range on the US smoke is soo much better then the Shock Troops that it makes this super easy in comparison.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 50
unknown 26
Germany 13
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %