Login

russian armor

HELP - OKW against Maxim spam

24 Jun 2014, 20:54 PM

Hello,
I have an issue here. Everytime I play OKW, the soviets go hard Maxim spam, locks down fuels and munition, and at a time I can bring the Flak, they have already ZIS and its a GG. What can we do with this ?
24 Jun 2014, 21:58 PM

Hello,
I have an issue here. Everytime I play OKW, the soviets go hard Maxim spam, locks down fuels and munition, and at a time I can bring the Flak, they have already ZIS and its a GG. What can we do with this ?

They are not going to have an at gun every where. flank the gun or use FSJ. against lonely maxim use the kubelwagon to suppres it so your infantry can get up close.
25 Jun 2014, 04:31 AM

Presently truck harassment seems to be very effective at stopping maxims. Use your first supply truck to try to run them over/get in their way. Even if you don't inflict many kills, you can slow them down immensely, you know where they are, and you'll be able to set up some flank attacks.
25 Jun 2014, 06:48 AM
Donator 22

use your Sturmpioniere to flank!
25 Jun 2014, 18:52 PM

Im having the same problem but when they barricade in buildings, they have two-four MG, and this is all early on first five. I rush for the stubby pak and then try and bomb them but this has back fired repeatedly on me ???

Also I try and micro the kubel but I suck at it. And it gets eatin alive against the mg's (if only one) even if I flank the six mg crew shoot me to shit lol. I have been having huge problems with it latly :(. I cant tell you how happy i am when i see a clown car early on.

Do we have any smoke ? Some thing to tranport out guys in a straight up flank (ie half track truck ?)
The flak Halftrak doesnt work because not only will he have at guns earlier but he has guards and at nades from one two con squads.
Flanking is also map dependant and much harder as the game gets bigger 2v2 3v3 and 4v4 where flanking isnt as easy. I know theres a counter just not seeing it ????

but don't get me wrong I don't think mg spam is OP I just wanna viable strat that can pay off.
26 Jun 2014, 13:57 PM

If they go for garrisons, rush a 7.5cm, if they are out in the open, try to flank with 2-3 squads. One comes in from the side, one from the front and one at another odd angle. At least one should make it, or send a kubel around the side if it's the first maxim.

Opening something like: Starting Sturm.

Sturm

Kubel.

Every time I've been against maxims with this strat I've done well, except on maps like Ettelbruck where its hard to flank due to the very narrow chokes that maxims do great in, if its 3v3 it's fine, 4v4 on maps like that are just cluster fucks and you can't flank reliably.

Rushing Obers are good too, Obers with good RNG will kill the gunner of the maxim with the first burst of their MG. so if you have 2 or a flank squad, you should be fine.

I generally go Mechanised truck, convert to fuel, get Flak truck next in a decent position and either go Luchs if its heavy infantry, or straight for a Panther while getting 1-2 ober squads to support my Sturm/volks. - Don't forget Rocket43's for some early-mid Anti Tank while waiting for Panther :)
28 Jun 2014, 15:29 PM

At the beginning of the game, you cant tell if they will go T1 or T2.

Getting 2 sturms off the bat against T1 can be bad for mp.

Just get 1 volk, 1 kubel, then u can adapt after an encounter.
28 Jun 2014, 16:38 PM

I made a post about this as well on the balance forums. Basically if it's done right there is nothing you can do.

If he goes con, maxim, maxim, mortar, maxim your going to run into the issue that he will push you back, dig in with covering maxim, mortar you, then creep.

All the while the cons can reinforce maxim and cap while you lose total map control due to being unable to flank the maxims. If he garrisons good luck because the infantry field gun is just pathetic in terms of accuracy and splash. Plus it's super expensive so he can field more maxims than you can field guns.

If you get a half track it's dead to guards and at guns. Then it's an early t34 for gg.

This and an American rifle blob are gg in most 2 v 2 matches right now. You simply can't counter covering insta pin maxims with the current okw arsenal.
28 Jun 2014, 17:17 PM

Right now there is no doubt that, especially in a 2v2, Soviets matched up against OKW have quite an easy time. To those suggesting kubels to counter maxims, well, no.

An early support gun can help, as can FJG, but teching early for the truck and expensive gun set you back quite a bit.

Basically, the OKWs early game weakness of expensive and less units on the field is easily exploited by building 3-4 maxims to guards, etc.
28 Jun 2014, 18:54 PM

Wait until you face Zis + Kv-8, now that's an abuse and a no-brainer owns you anytime with it.
10 Jul 2014, 16:22 PM

Yah, facing Maxim spam has been the biggest pain and I can't rely on indirect fire to take them out, especially with how slow it is. I find the most effective counter to maxim spam is the Stuka zu Fuss, that thing will eliminate most squads, and take out their ATG's too. Problem is, is that it comes too late, especially while they have map control.

Now if you are doing 1v1 and 2v2 if you're quick about it, you can have a FlaK-Track building in as little as 3:30. That's pretty quick for the early game, but I digress, mostly the only thing you can do is Volksgren meat-shield and TRY against all hope to flank with the Sturmpioneers.

Also I've noticed that Maxims can't suppress and pin what's in a building, so garrison to your advantage when faced with Maxims.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★