Login

russian armor

MG34 - sth is wrong

24 Jun 2014, 18:32 PM

Hello all,
first off, let me say that I think this expansion (the Western Front Armies) is extremly well made and (surprisingly) polished. It actually tops the original vCoH 2 when it comes to cool ideas and visuals.

But one thing seems wrong.
The MG34 was obviously added last minute.
This is why I beleive so:

- when the Commander with the MG34 is selected you will see a clickable MG42 (Ostheer!) icon you can click to call the MG34. What?

- no own audio. It uses the same lines as the Raketenwerfer 43 (the T0 Oberkommando anti-tank gun; cut some of these that don't fit it. Obviously no time left for proper own audio like all other units? (Also no angry lines when you repeatedly click the MG34)

- no ammunition belts like all other MG teams. It's just Volks. It should be at least Volks with ammo belts. The US has Riflemen with additional ammunition belts manning the .50cal Browning HMG. Seems odd. I see no other explenation but that they had no more time to even make that little model change.

- the portrait is always the same. The MG34 has the Volksgrenadiere portrait. Seriously, they made so many icons for all the commanders and the new units, can't they make one more for the MG34? This seems rushed.

Honestly, it's too early to reasonably judge balance anyways, so let's talk about this. The MG34, right now, unlike most off the new things in this (excellent) expansion seems rushed and unfinished. Heck, even the firing sound seems a bit lazy (and the Sound Rec guys did a tremendous job otherwise!)
What is wrong with this unit? It needs to be polished so it fits in with this pretty expansion :P
24 Jun 2014, 19:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2014, 18:32 PMFluffi
- no ammunition belts like all other MG teams. It's just Volks. It should be at least Volks with ammo belts. The US has Riflemen with additional ammunition belts manning the .50cal Browning HMG. Seems odd. I see no other explenation but that they had no more time to even make that little model change.

This isn't really indicative of anything, most of the weapon crews for American are Riflemen. All of them for OKW are Volksgrenadiers, except oddly the Flak guns which actually use Ostheer's MG gunner model.

Furthermore I would believe they were a late addition if only because there's actually a an MG 42 team listed under the OKW in Worldbuilder.
24 Jun 2014, 21:30 PM

They had no time to fix these small issues all around. Release had to be a day early, you know?
25 Jun 2014, 06:13 AM

quote post="169835"]They had no time to fix these small issues all around. Release had to be a day early, you know?

which is why they should do it now. At least the icons and unit portriats (MG42 icon for the MG34, really?) It seems way too lazy, way too unpolished. This unit breaks the mood of this otherwise pulished expansion. It strikes you immediately.

Heck, they use faces from unit portraits on some of the commanders.
e.g. Rifle Doctrine has the Pathfinder face. Compare:

So the least Relic could do is add one of the OKW's Commander faces for the MG34's portrait to make it differ from the Volksgrenadier portrait
25 Jun 2014, 06:34 AM

OKW fortification commander: MG bunker is crewed by an Ostheer mg42 crewman.
25 Jun 2014, 07:51 AM

Which is a shame, I was really hoping for a Panzernest.

25 Jun 2014, 16:48 PM

yeah, seems lazy and rushed, too. But the MG34 team, even though it's doctrinal, is quite a typical/common unit for the OKW. It is in several doctrines. So it is more irritating and more obvious if such a unit is unpolished.

As I said before, they could even use an existing face from the Commander portraits. Still better and less obvious than repeating the Volksgrenadier unit portrait.

I think the Luftwaffe Ground Forces guy actually has a face that might fit an MG-themed unit quite well IMO. He looks kinda rugged, a bit like Ostheer's MG42 unit portrait face. Breakthrough guy would be my second choice.

here's the basic (not locked by default) new commander portraits, by way of illustration:

(also note how the MG34 ability has the same icon as the OKW HQ's Volksgrenadiers build icon, just with a ammo symbol. It's too similar. Still more fiting than the MG42 icon the call-in ability will have ingame, though)
25 Jun 2014, 17:07 PM

Which is a shame, I was really hoping for a Panzernest.

Its a pretty crappy commander. You get the mg34 which isnt finished, you get OKW defenses, then you get Ostheer mg bunker and S mines, Ostheer pak 43, and then another special form of sector artillery - its not actually sector, you click ANY spot (even in a base) and a rather large reticle surrounds that area, and it bombards anything that stay in it to death - but the enemy can simply walk away from it. I got a "rare" commander, but it is really crap and copy-pasted.

But seriously - it should have been the panzernest, not just the 150 mp 60 muni mg nest with Ostheer gunner.
25 Jun 2014, 17:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge

but that would have been awesome. :(
26 Jun 2014, 05:49 AM

I saw someone using the Scavenger Commander - the Ostwind appears to have proper OKW infantry driving it, at least i dont remember dark-blue clothed crewmen in Ostheer - if they want to use the Ostheer Pak 43 and Bunker, then they need to replace the models with OKW ones at least. Mg34 needs its own model (to also be used in the mg bunker).
26 Jun 2014, 06:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2014, 06:13 AMFluffi
quote post="169835"]They had no time to fix these small issues all around. Release had to be a day early, you know?

which is why they should do it now. At least the icons and unit portriats (MG42 icon for the MG34, really?) It seems way too lazy, way too unpolished. This unit breaks the mood of this otherwise pulished expansion. It strikes you immediately.

Heck, they use faces from unit portraits on some of the commanders.
e.g. Rifle Doctrine has the Pathfinder face. Compare:

So the least Relic could do is add one of the OKW's Commander faces for the MG34's portrait to make it differ from the Volksgrenadier portrait

They reused portraits in the base game too.
26 Jun 2014, 16:52 PM

They reused portraits in the base game too.

But not that obvious, not on 2 units, just on minor stuff.
I mean look at this!

it's the same face 3 times! It is very obvious and seems so unpolished, especially combined with MG34s wrong callin icon (MG42!) and it's limited voice lines (taken from the Raketenwerfer 43).

The MG34 is in dire need of polish, the very least they should do is add a damn new face for the MG34's portrait. Heck, at least with Falls they slightly changed it!
26 Jun 2014, 17:06 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I pay attention to small details like this too so im glad im not the only one that notices this but c'mon. Cut em some slack.

Im pretty sure the American medic uses the riflemen face but with a medic helmet. Lol its just something they do.

Especially when you have all these portraits to make.

And to say its unpolished is true..but then again this expansion wasnt $60 it was $20<=.
26 Jun 2014, 19:13 PM

Sorry if it sounded as if I was bashing Relic. The Western Front Armies, overall, feels extremly polished and well-made... and that's why the unpolished MG34 unit sticks out even more.

I wish they could make a new portrait face and icons for the MG34. Something iconic and memorable, what about they take some inspiration from this rather well-known german soldier in the battle of the bulge? He's an MG-guy, too, so it would fit well:

Suggestion for a new MG34 portait face instead of reusing the Volksgrenadier portrait.

Relic makes new commander portraits always, always. They can easily make a new MG34 protrait to give the unit a more unique and polished feel.

Also the MG34 gunner from Day of Defeat 1 has a face that could be used as inspiration for a new MG34 unit portrait (instead of lazily reusing the Volks' portrait and face on it). It's even a MG34, so what are they waiting for? :P

Suggestion for a new MG34 portait face instead of reusing the Volksgrenadier portrait.
26 Jun 2014, 19:16 PM

Check the OH and Soviet Commanders, most them have the same clothes and face type.
26 Jun 2014, 19:17 PM

Check the OH and Soviet Commanders, most them have the same clothes and face type.

Noun should be on the Mg-34 portrait.
26 Jun 2014, 22:28 PM

26 Jun 2014, 22:55 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Who is this?

Top one is a mortar crew.
Open up worldbuilder and look. US has 60mm mortar thats probably gonna be a doctrinal thing.

bottom is probably some Lazer light attack commander.
27 Jun 2014, 01:56 AM

Wow, thanks for that. It would make sense for the US to get doctrinal mortars.

You mean infra-red attack? I don't think goggles are needed. the scavenger doctrine also has goggles. A sturmpioneer themed commander?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★