Login

russian armor

First Impressions on Western Front?

24 Jun 2014, 14:15 PM

OKW as faction is amazing. Relic worked its back real hard to come up with such a flexible army aproach. Damn' didn't have time to test americans - they are interesting too, I guess Friday evening and Saturday will be for me continuous play, I can't wait.

What I would like to see, it's some decency on this forums related to balance questions. No blalance talks should be allowed before one month, people need L2P first.

Anyway, as every time, Relic blew away our minds with so different armies and tactics like you need to learn the game again :). GJ !

I concur - fallshirmjagers ftw - and OKW armor is pretty swell. We still need lots of time to decide; within the new faction, i think their units are really balanced.
24 Jun 2014, 20:28 PM

First impressions: Really liking the feel of the factions, better than COH2.

-skins of troops are excellent and more historically accurate than ever before.

-USA have a really hard time against heavy armor (57mm and M36 are not enough) They really need more anti-heavy AFV options. USA feels a bit fuel starved since teching is expensive for them.

-75mm Pak howie is excellent but German 75mm IG seems to not hit much at all. Pretty weird. Puppchen is not very effective.

-Jagdtiger is a very fun unit, and the elefant could take a cue from it. (especially with the 30 muni He triple-shot)

-German infantry and US infantry are both very good but US infantry require lots of munitions use.

-King Tiger is more formidable than the Tiger overall. Command panther is more formidable than vanilla panther. Sturmtiger is a troll unit. Jagdpanzer IV is not worth getting over the tanks. Feels like OKW generally can only field 1 very good tank at a time.

-US tanks are very easy to back up and repair, and US have an easy time stealing tanks. I stole a Panther and a puma in one match.

-IR halftrack is superb and works well with rocket truck.

The winner for best off map strike in the game belongs to the 'Breakthrough' doctrine artillery and smoke. Reminds me of World War 1. Quite a thing to see.

I'm feeling that the USA is not strong enough even though its design is very good. I'm looking forward to trying the other two commanders later and it looks like 'Rifle company' (hidden commander) is on my 'most wanted' list.

Finally, the maps are superb and better than coh2.
24 Jun 2014, 22:12 PM

It's good. The factions play significantly different to current Ostheer/Soviets. If you want new content, you might as well buy these because they're in the game whether you buy them or not.
24 Jun 2014, 23:47 PM

Pretty much agree with everyone here but you forgot one "little" stuff, the maps.

With the new armies out maps need to be looked at again as some of them (Minsk, Semois etc) are extremely faction biased.
25 Jun 2014, 04:03 AM

On regards of my impression on Western Front, I would say the two new faction are more offensive based and require a advantage early game to be able to push on. US can do so easily with their superb rifle squad while the OKW works in similar fashion.

Both new factions also work well with their partner faction, US can sufficiently compliment Soviet units via hospital car reinforcements and anti-tank troops to provide early advantage as both Soviet and US play-style commonly advance the offensive line very aggressively.

OKW also assist their partner faction with their "much-needed" superior units that could protect pioneers in setting up early defense to repel ally early charge. OKW have effective units but lack economy to survive mid game. The Ostheer can set up effective bunkers, HMG cover and AT to prevent allies from overwhelming axis frontlines. I'd tell you the OKW is basically the super offense that pairs well with the defensive superiority of the Ostheer.

Of course, I've yet to play over a hundred matches, so I can't give you a accurate summary until then.
25 Jun 2014, 04:34 AM

First impression:

Soviet is still a piece of fuck breaking the balance. Soviet vs OKW is worse than the uberG43Gren in March.

M3 and Maxim spam are closed to uncounterable.
25 Jun 2014, 10:38 AM

First impression:

Everything is incredibly gimmicky. You like brits? Well here are trucks with flak cannons on top.
25 Jun 2014, 11:10 AM
Benefactor 3110

First impression:

Everything is incredibly gimmicky. You like brits? Well here are trucks with flak cannons on top.

That maybe correct. But if i want to play straight forward, i can choose Russians. I lost every game with new americans, but i had fun in every game.

Give us observer Mode and then relic is allowed to take a break. Job well done.

25 Jun 2014, 11:12 AM

they should focus on balance before releasing any new content
25 Jun 2014, 11:23 AM

The skins maps etc are great but i'm not enjoying the armies that much. All 2v2 games so far have been massive bar-zooka blobs or I end up on semoskiy and its impossible to dislodge OKW from the centre.
25 Jun 2014, 11:35 AM

Yes, OKW camping center Semoisky is super-annoying.
25 Jun 2014, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2014, 11:35 AMboc120
Yes, OKW camping center Semoisky is super-annoying.

Yes....they did that to me vs Soviets, the 120mm helped. Prob solved as he got non stop barraged.

I know nothing about OKW or US because I have not biten the bullet yet. I do see some super OP units though. The Sturm is out of hand. Takes out the ISU like its nothing.
25 Jun 2014, 11:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2014, 04:34 AMPorygon
First impression:

Soviet is still a piece of fuck breaking the balance. Soviet vs OKW is worse than the uberG43Gren in March.

M3 and Maxim spam are closed to uncounterable.

Please. Werent you the guy trying to Truck push me? And you talk about bad balance??
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 110
unknown 33
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak