Login

russian armor

Official Sturmpioneer thread

PAGES (8)down
26 Jun 2014, 08:24 AM

Why can't people just try to find builds to counter them... or just listen to the advice of Katitof, braciszek & co?
Haven't had a problem as US yet (haven't faced them with Sov so far). 3 StP are expensive in every way and limit your early capping power...
26 Jun 2014, 08:35 AM

Sturmpioneers are expensive and fragile and you'll have the numerous advantage over the OKW early game.

So when playing soviets;

Avoid them with cons and only engage when in advantage.
Use M3, Snipers or Maxims to neutralize them.

As USA;

Avoid with rifles or only engage when in advantageous position. Use Rear Echelon's volley fire to pin. Later in the game they shouldn't be a problem any more (BAR, Grenades, Vehicles).

26 Jun 2014, 09:10 AM

Whats the problem here exactly? They are good DPS close up and that's it, no durability at all, if you're losing 5 members of your squad and killing 2 of theirs (big blunder on your part), chances are you're still on top because they have to insta-flee next engagement and now they're stuck paying a lot of MP to reinforce.

If OKW build more StP they can't cap worth a shit.

I get sort of an embarrassing feeling when I read some of these ridiculous posts.
26 Jun 2014, 09:20 AM

My sensation is that we will see many topics "OKW is OP".
Well, this is the faction's design: best and most expensive units. SturmPios have a very good atack for an early unit but they also are very fragile and expensive as cost and as reinforcement cost.
Play, find solutions, try them, PLAY OKW ALSO, and if it still feels OP come back and whine here. But I won't believe this process of L2P against OKW is finished unless one month passes.
26 Jun 2014, 09:33 AM

I just like to contribute to the thread and throw in my view on the STP's early game firepower. I usually play 2v2 or above so I never go solo against them. From what I know, the best counter is simply Maxims without leaving them in buildings. I have US teammates now so I often let the rifle squad move ahead and let the maxim follow through. If the rifle squad runs into STPs, I just let the rifle squad take a few hits and let the maxim spray. Sure they have a few losses, but the ambulance is provided early game to counter the fact that large amounts of soldiers will die. In fact Maxim + ambulance push is a very strong play early game.

The OKW has an issue when it comes to reinforcing because they don't have a proper mobile reinforcement unit. They must rely on a possible Ostheer teammate that can provide a half-track or they are limited to hanging around their forward base. If STP dare to move far away, it is more than likely the opponent will cut them off and finish them.

Also I'll just repeat again what everyone already said: "REAR ECHELON! ITS ONLY A FEW AMMUNITION TO SECURE A DEFINITE TRADE-OFF. WHAT ARE YOU KEEPING THAT AMMO FOR? CHRISTMAS?"

26 Jun 2014, 10:39 AM

The reason for which OKW has so good start units and overall efficient units but ESPECIALLY potent start units is that if any other faction doesn't do verry good in early game, it still has a chance to come back (remember fuel limitation for OKW?). I found it verry hard to gather fuel while playing OKW even with both fuel points on map conquered and even with amo to fuel conversion activated. The faction's vehicles are particulary expensive and I could not field in any of my games more than 2 light vehicles + one tank or 2 tanks at most (actually i can't remember one time when I had 2 okw tanks on the battlefield).

Imagine OKW would have weaker start units (like ostheer's pios) and that the volks would be as killable as ostheer grenadiers. The soviet/american player won't face but expensive infantry and 1 maybe 2 light vehicles that would be turned to shreds by T34s and shermanns let alone '85s , KV-8s or IS2s.
26 Jun 2014, 13:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2014, 05:20 AMKatitof

What if I told you that starting unit cost+starting mp=500 for all factions?

More or less that is the idea.

That is partially what I am getting at with that post. Sturmpio's fight better because they cost more. It's not like they are free. You can't compare their fighting ability to other starter units and expect it to be even, especially when the units cost different amounts.
26 Jun 2014, 16:32 PM

Seriously, I guess the issue here is just that people think everything that has Engineer or Pioneer in it's name is supposed to suck.
26 Jun 2014, 17:50 PM

320 mp for a unit and ppl complain this unit is effective?
26 Jun 2014, 17:51 PM

320 mp for a unit and ppl complain this unit is effective?

Rear echelon costs 160 and people complain its effective...
26 Jun 2014, 18:01 PM

Seriously, I guess the issue here is just that people think everything that has Engineer or Pioneer in it's name is supposed to suck.

Let's be honest here the issue at hand is people being baddies, nothing else.
26 Jun 2014, 18:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2014, 17:51 PMKatitof

Rear echelon costs 160 and people complain its effective...

With volley fire it is damn effective, but I guess you know it.
What bothers me with Sturmpios is the RNG based model loss, way too much mp loss, same applies to FJs.
26 Jun 2014, 18:34 PM

With volley fire it is damn effective, but I guess you know it.
What bothers me with Sturmpios is the RNG based model loss, way too much mp loss, same applies to FJs.

That's CoH2 for you. Panzergrenadiers have been suffering from the same issue since the game came out. An aggressive shock unit is highly reliant on RNG to actually work. The Allies seem to be pretty safe in that regard as their shock units are each 6 models(But doctrinal).
26 Jun 2014, 21:38 PM

Sturmpioneers perform exactly the way they are billed; as elite builder/repair/utility units for a faction that is designed to play the quality over quantity card.
16 Jul 2014, 14:19 PM

Ive not reat the whole thread. But has anyone noticed a bug where you keep telling your pios to put their mine sweepers away, and every time you go back to them, they seem to have got them out again. Not sure if its after retreats maybe..

either way, its annoying, has it been reported?
16 Jul 2014, 14:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Its after every retreat yes. It is the sam ebug with retreating snipers you have on hold fire
18 Jul 2014, 03:08 AM

These unit's are still OP in the opening. They do better damage than Conscripts at any range. If they are going to be the new 0CP Shocktroop there should be a range that they aren't the best at.
18 Jul 2014, 06:55 AM

Total not OP.

They are flimsy and their reinforce time drives me crazy!

18 Jul 2014, 10:35 AM

Permanently Banned
My sensation is that we will see many topics "OKW is OP".
Well, this is the faction's design: best and most expensive units. SturmPios have a very good atack for an early unit but they also are very fragile and expensive as cost and as reinforcement cost.
Play, find solutions, try them, PLAY OKW ALSO, and if it still feels OP come back and whine here. But I won't believe this process of L2P against OKW is finished unless one month passes.

Maybe you should switch factions once in you're live and play AGAINST OKW? :)
18 Jul 2014, 12:15 PM

Maybe you should switch factions once in you're live and play AGAINST OKW? :)

Be sure I will, because I want to study americans also deeper than just 2v2 or against comp.
But my approach is playing for a while with a faction, then switch and play the other one, not one game as a faction, next game as other faction.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS