Login

russian armor

MG-42 retreating issue

18 Jun 2014, 07:36 AM
Benefactor 340

Hi Guys

im sure some of you guys have experienced this glitch/ design issue.

when playing as the Germans and you have an MG-42 garrisoned in a building, the soviet player will naturally send conscripts in to Molotov the MG out of the building, now as a player i see this and attempt to retreat my MG before i loose the whole squad, but its impossible, it takes to long,firstly the MG has to pack up before exiting the building then it automatically sets its self up again outside the building then i have to pack it up a third time and press retreat, in that time two conscript squads or maybe even one surrounding the building can easily de-crew the weapon before it can retreat

i don't know if im doing something wrong or if its a glitch with the game as an MG team shouldn't have to pack and unpack its self 3 times to retreat from a building

thanks guys
18 Jun 2014, 07:41 AM
Patrion 14

When in a building you can tell the MG to get out and move to a particular spot, rather than tell the building that everyone inside needs to get out. Doing that should help.
18 Jun 2014, 07:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2014, 07:41 AMCptEend
When in a building you can tell the MG to get out and move to a particular spot, rather than tell the building that everyone inside needs to get out. Doing that should help.

Yeah, don't just mash down on the "Exit" button (or de-garrison or whatever it is). Pretty sure you need to click the building, click the icon of the MG, then either press "D" or click the Exit button, then click where you want the MG to go. That will stop it from setting up in some nonsense direction the moment it steps outside. If you tell the MG to exit to a certain point (the cursor will change to an open-top rectangle), you can select it while it is en route to the new location and give it a retreat order.
It is usually a panic move and reliant on muscle memory, so that may be totally the wrong order of button presses, but hopefully it will help to know that it IS possible!
18 Jun 2014, 08:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Do what computerheat suggested ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Select building, click unit, order to move away from building, reselect unit, hit retreat. Tell it to move to the side you want to retreat towards, and it will often take a safer exit
18 Jun 2014, 08:18 AM

Yes, you are right, but in vCOH an MG42 could beretreated from a building more easily and didn't stupidly deploy at the entrance. This is annoying and even if can be avoided it should not exist in the game. The Mg should not automatically deploy at building's exits.
18 Jun 2014, 08:41 AM

Permanently Banned
18 Jun 2014, 09:07 AM

Yes, you are right, but in vCOH an MG42 could beretreated from a building more easily and didn't stupidly deploy at the entrance. This is annoying and even if can be avoided it should not exist in the game. The Mg should not automatically deploy at building's exits.

You're right that there's an issue here but you're wrong about what the issue is.

There should not be a worthless "exit" button on the UI, the game should teach all players the proper way of exiting buildings via movement commands which lets you pick which side the units go out of and does not force deploys right after it.

Friends don't let friends use the exit button.
18 Jun 2014, 09:13 AM

A little OT but the long pack up times and the inability to choose where the MG42 is facing when garrisoned is enough to not place it inside buildings anyway ;)
18 Jun 2014, 09:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2014, 09:07 AMCruzz

There should not be a worthless "exit" button on the UI, the game should teach all players the proper way of exiting buildings via movement commands which lets you pick which side the units go out of and does not force deploys right after it.

You're right, but it would still be better if that auto deploymenet at building exit wouldn't exist, in my opinion.
18 Jun 2014, 11:49 AM

Select unit
Click it far away from building
???
Profit

It also allows you to choose which side of the building you want to exit from.
18 Jun 2014, 12:23 PM

A little OT but the long pack up times and the inability to choose where the MG42 is facing when garrisoned is enough to not place it inside buildings anyway ;)

My thoughts exactly. Almost every time I am stupid enough to place a MG-Squad in a building I'm regretting it horribly.
18 Jun 2014, 12:25 PM
Benefactor 340

Same problem with maxim here

But a maxim is far more likely to survive as it has more quad members and half the development time
18 Jun 2014, 17:15 PM
Patrion 27

To expedite the process, select the building, hit TAB then right click outside or even better assign hotkeys to your units so you can tap it's hotkey and right click somewhere on the map.
18 Jun 2014, 18:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2014, 09:07 AMCruzz

The exit button is great if you need troops out now and not 5 seconds from now.
18 Jun 2014, 18:19 PM

The exit button is great if you need troops out now and not 5 seconds from now.

The process of doing what we're saying takes no longer then 0.5sec, unless you're really slow.
18 Jun 2014, 18:58 PM
Patrion 14

But a maxim is far more likely to survive as it has more quad members and half the development time

Depends. The Maxim has a problem where every time the gunner dies, someone new has to pick up the Maxim, whereas the MG42 just teleports to a surviving squad member, allowing it to retreat right away.

Those six members surely help against mortars and snipers (or not even that, Wehr sniper has a higher ROF to compensate for difference in squad size), but that's about it.
18 Jun 2014, 18:59 PM

Pressing D and then a spot on the map is faster than clicking the exit button.
18 Jun 2014, 19:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2014, 18:58 PMCptEend

Depends. The Maxim has a problem where every time the gunner dies, someone new has to pick up the Maxim, whereas the MG42 just teleports to a surviving squad member, allowing it to retreat right away.

Those six members surely help against mortars and snipers (or not even that, Wehr sniper has a higher ROF to compensate for difference in squad size), but that's about it.

Well this is due primarily to the Occult division of Ostheer. The same reason Pak43s shoot through buildings and you can cast a spell at HQ to gain vet.....
18 Jun 2014, 19:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2014, 18:58 PMCptEend

And the MG 42 has an issue where if the gunner is killed while set up or packing up, the crew cannot retreat and must walk over to the gun and restart the packing animation. It's possible to 'trap' a retreating MG 42 and kill it that way.

Well this is due primarily to the Occult division of Ostheer. The same reason Pak43s shoot through buildings and you can cast a spell at HQ to gain vet.....

I just imagine it being like the scene from Band of Brothers. "Put a couple of shells through that building, you're gonna see 'em real good" "I'm telling you he's right there!".

Only the difference is the Pak 43 doesn't give a shit about property damage and does as he's told, unlike the tank commander in BoB :lol:
18 Jun 2014, 20:24 PM
Patrion 14

And the MG 42 has an issue where if the gunner is killed while set up or packing up, the crew cannot retreat and must walk over to the gun and restart the packing animation. It's possible to 'trap' a retreating MG 42 and kill it that way.

Hmm, weird. My point was actually that what you describe is what happens to the Maxim, and that the MG42 doesn't have this problem. At least, I haven't seen it happen, but maybe I'm wrong. What I do know though, is that I lose Maxims far more often to flanks than I lose MG42s :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★