Login

russian armor

A_E's Blast-o-Cast - Edited & Condensed shoutcasts

A_E
7 Jun 2014, 15:25 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Playlist of all Blast-o-Casts.

Edited & Condensed shoutcasts that give you all killer no filler.

It takes a 52 minute game between Stephenn and Abdul and turns it into a 13 minute action packed cast, featuring all the noteworthy elements and none of the 'lulls in activity', enjoy!
7 Jun 2014, 15:35 PM
Patrion 14

Great work A_E ! :D
7 Jun 2014, 17:40 PM

Wow, that was great. The best thing since sliced bread.

There were a few engagements (esp the one where the sniper was killed and the mg42 stolen) where I think you should have shown the beginning of the action instead of jumping into the middle, but perhaps that was a stylistic choice.
A_E
7 Jun 2014, 18:13 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Oh God no, I did it by shoutcasting it naturally and pressing record and then stop whenever I talked, no retakes. Making like 70 tiny movies of which I used about 40.

So I then had to edit the raw footage - some of it's a lot choppier than I'd like, but that's what episode 2 will be for. I'll have better transitions.
7 Jun 2014, 19:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge

yea transitions did need to be better.
8 Jun 2014, 00:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 39

I really liked it. As people said, some of the transitions could be less choppy, but I hope you'll fix that with the next casts. :)
9 Jun 2014, 16:33 PM

Great 2nd try A&E....I think everyone can hear how hard it is to do this kind of editing and just what a skill it is. It will help your audio a lot if you simply apply half second audio fade in and outs to all the different pieces, this will give the audio that professional sheen and sound less garbled.

More importantly do your next cast with an eye to key engagements, what led to mass retreats that resulted in big VP/territory turnovers, and frame and cast it that way. Find the story of the game and edit accordingly....Think of yourself as a journalist rather than a commentator. In games where player skill is equal, its all just skirmishing early, you can probably just start watching at the point a tank or other shock unit rolls out,,unless something interesting happens early game like breaking a base pin or you find an early engagement particularly vital, or there's been an unorthodox build order used (people love early snipers!)

I know how long this takes, I've not done much video editing, but plenty of audio recording, and I'd estimate each 10 minute cast will probably take twice as much time to do as a regular 40 minute cast to do it right, but the time you need gets shorter as you gain experience.

I'd love to help if I could, but the Internet still isn't quite fast enough for real time video editing collaboration....Well, maybe actually if just doing a screen share and the person with the fastest computer does the actual editing.

9 Jun 2014, 16:42 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I love this idea. If you could get them down even more, maybe to around 4-5m, I would watch them all! :thumb: I imagine this would be a million times easier if there was any type of rewind button.. then we could make them in-game in one pass.
9 Jun 2014, 16:58 PM

Hey A_E finally had the time to watch it through. Looks like you took my advice well and it is a much better video to watch compared to the prior attempt! I actually quite like this video and I think it will naturally improve over time in conjunction with more experience/editing skill.

As suggested the transitions are the required to be improved. I get the sense you did a regular commentary of this and then segmented each intense moment. Perhaps watch the whole replay first, write down the times of key events, use that pause button, get your segment and then continue.

I actually used to make little casts like this for Age of Empires 3, but gave up after a couple casts for the time that was required and poor computer specs for editing videos. That game has a replay feature like CoH with no rewind button either, making it a time consuming process to get those juicy bits. However, I think it produces a great video to watch though, especially since I think the majority of people watch commentaries and really remember those few intense moments of the game! Keep at it A_E!
9 Jun 2014, 17:25 PM

Yeah, lack of rewind makes this too difficult really...You have to do camera for the entire cast and then edit your gigantic video file...Getting egotistical Hollywood actors to do a retake is probably less of a pain in the ass than working ion COH2's antiquated replay system.
A_E
10 Jun 2014, 06:15 AM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Thanks for the kind words and great advice there Sluzbenik, Stephenn, and Ami. I'll keep at it and hopefully have another video out by this weekend, I think due to the time constraints of making a video like this they're really a one-a-week type thing.
A_E
11 Jun 2014, 21:41 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

I think this is a shit ton better, enjoy!
11 Jun 2014, 21:55 PM
Patrion 14

Damn that was tense :o
11 Jun 2014, 22:01 PM

Very entertaining, and clearly an improved format. I would put on "show resources", but that is a minor quibble.

At 4:50 watch the KV8 decrew the Zis gun... oops.
11 Jun 2014, 22:27 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Excellent! I like that you're cutting the video down and letting the audio run through the edits, that's a good technique. I still think you're falling in love with the game (or the cast?) a little too much, and can tell the same story in about 1/2h the time. We're used to seeing fast edits and can perceive lots of info in short cuts. I'd still love to see these down between 4-5m.
A_E
2 Jul 2014, 21:23 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Blast-o-Cast #3 - HELL MARCH - Barton vs. Helping Hans - Three minutes of fury.
3 Jul 2014, 08:10 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

3 Jul 2014, 14:55 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 39

Nice stuff! An outro would've been nice at the end though :)
A_E
3 Jul 2014, 15:51 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

A sick guitar lick and "thankyoouuuuu for watching!"?
3 Jul 2014, 16:49 PM

No please. No more singing from you A_E. Just go to bed, matty. :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United Kingdom 166
unknown 5
unknown 1
United States 23

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W