Login

russian armor

FIFA World Cup™ 2014

PAGES (12)down
10 Jun 2014, 15:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

What do they mean by the final option "total score"?
10 Jun 2014, 15:48 PM
Patrion 14

How many goals are conceded in the final :)
10 Jun 2014, 15:56 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

10 Jun 2014, 15:59 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Yeah it's a tiebreaker. So for example if you think the final score will be 3-1, you would put "4".
10 Jun 2014, 16:10 PM
10 Jun 2014, 17:10 PM
Benefactor 115

I did not just provide that statistic, I also mentioned several reasons for the excistence of that particular statistic. Next to that, there is a strong significant statistical relation between past and future events in sports. This is the most important factor bookmakers use to assess the chance of a certain outcome. Aside from the spread between chances and odds, if statistics of past sport events did not matter, predicted chances and thereby odds would be false and no bookmaker would still be in business.

Therefore, logic dictates that Germany is not a favourite, despite of your "feelings of confidence".

Odds and predictions for international football are at best, educated guesses. For statistics to become useful in predicting future events you need a large and current sample. Teams don't play each other frequently enough to built reliable data. For example, take Germany vs Brazil - 2 games between the 2 sides over 9 years. Every condition/factor that would influence results are different from back then. As far as world cups being played in central/south America the sample size is 4.

The world cup could be won by one of a handful of team. Its going to come down to who's peaking as a team, the referees, injuries and luck.
10 Jun 2014, 17:33 PM

For an OKW key, hmm this just got interesting. A cup of tea, some biscuits and an hour of browsing betting odds etc later on me thinks before I do up my brackets.

Cheers for setting it up Ami! :)
10 Jun 2014, 17:43 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

My pleasure :) :snfAmi: :thumb:

24 entrants already! It's on
10 Jun 2014, 17:49 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

My pleasure :) :snfAmi: :thumb:

24 entrants already! It's on

It's interesting to see, when you leave the fan boys to their own devices, how Brazil, Spain and Germany are hitting the top slots, one way or another. (I have this inner fear that Spain may now be past their best - I hope not. The Spanish team of the past few years have been a joy to behold).
10 Jun 2014, 18:46 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Spain has dominated world soccer for the past decade. Before that it was France. Before that Brazil. Germany has always been Bride's Maid. How many teams are going for 6? Just Brazil and Italy, right? Oops my bad Italy only has 4.

Three times in my life I have been in the city where the final was played.

Rome in 1990.
Los Angeles in 1994.
Berlin in 2006.

All three times I visited the stadium on the day. In Rome I snuck in after the final whistle and was part of the celebration.

I consider that a charmed life :D

Man Group G... I want all 4 teams to go through :(
10 Jun 2014, 19:07 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Spain has dominated world soccer for the past decade. Before that it was France. Before that Brazil. Germany has always been Bride's Maid. How many teams are going for 6? Just Brazil and Italy, right? Oops my bad Italy only has 4.

Rome in 1990.
Los Angeles in 1994.
Berlin in 2006.

All three times I visited the stadium on the day. In Rome I snuck in after the final whistle and was part of the celebration.

Man Group G... I want all 4 teams to go through :(

Hey Ami,

how about you come to Rio de Janeiro 2014? :D
10 Jun 2014, 19:10 PM
Patrion 14

#AmiforRio2K14 !
10 Jun 2014, 19:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2014, 17:10 PMDucati

Odds and predictions for international football are at best, educated guesses. For statistics to become useful in predicting future events you need a large and current sample. Teams don't play each other frequently enough to built reliable data. For example, take Germany vs Brazil - 2 games between the 2 sides over 9 years. Every condition/factor that would influence results are different from back then. As far as world cups being played in central/south America the sample size is 4.

The world cup could be won by one of a handful of team. Its going to come down to who's peaking as a team, the referees, injuries and luck.

Your assumption that the assessment of the chances of one specific country versus another specific country can only be made based on their previous encounters is entirely false. If Germany and Brazil would end up playing eachother in the semi-finals, one would weigh in every single match both of these countries have ever played, including the matches they did not play versus eachother. Obviously, recent matches, non-friendly matches, matches away et cetera weigh in a lot more, compared to their counterparts. This creates that statistically significant sample size.

And indeed, all 32 countries have a chance of winning the World Cup, as there is no country whose chance is 0% or 100%. Brazil's chance is roughly 20% making it an 80% chance they do not win. This makes Brazil a heavy underdog to the field, however, Brazil is still the favourite, given only one country can win.
10 Jun 2014, 20:11 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Just no, FFS.

list of Germany hitting the high spots

Rome in 1990.
Los Angeles in 1994.
Berlin in 2006.

Where is my luck in this game? You're Merkin, right? 'Worlds sports' (sic) for you are these crazed events

In excelsis, IMO:huhsign: :clap::D:D

10 Jun 2014, 20:28 PM

People do mention the weather conditions a lot for this WC. If it affect the players as much as they say, teams such as Spain who prefer the passing game could gain a significant advantage within the 70-90min mark if they have been forcing the opposition chasing after the ball throughout the game.

But anything is possible in football, as much as I'd like Spain to finish off their 2 Euros and 2 WC on the trot, not sure if they will pull it off this time.
10 Jun 2014, 20:34 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

MB, I've lived in Germany for 10 years. In that time I've watched lovely young Germans cry as their teams lose in 2 world cups and 2 euro cups. All four times we had great chances.

Last WC victory for Germany 24 years ago? That's a drought! Biggest moment of pride was Bayern with the trifecta last year (ChampionsLeague , Bundes, and Pokal). Other than that, the national team has let us down, right before the ring and the kiss.
10 Jun 2014, 20:38 PM
Benefactor 115

Your assumption that the assessment of the chances of one specific country versus another specific country can only be made based on their previous encounters is entirely false. If Germany and Brazil would end up playing eachother in the semi-finals, one would weigh in every single match both of these countries have ever played, including the matches they did not play versus eachother. Obviously, recent matches, non-friendly matches, matches away et cetera weigh in a lot more, compared to their counterparts. This creates that statistically significant sample size.

And indeed, all 32 countries have a chance of winning the World Cup, as there is no country whose chance is 0% or 100%. Brazil's chance is roughly 20% making it an 80% chance they do not win. This makes Brazil a heavy underdog to the field, however, Brazil is still the favourite, given only one country can win.

Why would I weight in every single match both of there countries have ever played? How do the results that Pele's team had help forecast events in 2014?

I agree that recent result (Like games that will be played during the tournament) can be used to assess potential match winners, but that's not really a statical analysis. Recent results are a reflection of teams current form which I'm suggesting is the most important factor for match prediction.

10 Jun 2014, 20:42 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I wonder how the Ivory Coast will do. I'm a big Drogba fan.
10 Jun 2014, 21:06 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

MB, I've lived in Germany for 10 years. In that time I've watched lovely young Germans cry as their teams lose in 2 world cups and 2 euro cups. All four times we had great chances.

Last WC victory for Germany 24 years ago? That's a drought! Biggest moment of pride was Bayern with the trifecta last year (ChampionsLeague , Bundes, and Pokal). Other than that, the national team has let us down, right before the ring and the kiss.

Hi Ami

Dont forget this

list of German successes in the Euros

The Germans only weep bcs they do not achieve no 1 fussball status every time.:D They have the will - there is no doubting that - in fact, their imposing presence is so great, that you tend to forget they do not always win. (I am guilty of that:( ) I am proud to include several Peeps from Deutschland as my friends, but I am not blind to 'the Will' when it comes to footie.

Probably , one of the most amusing moments of my life (in sport) was when a group us sat down to watch England v Germany in 1970. This included 2 Germans on an exchange semester. It was Mexico - England were the reigning world champs and went 2-0 up in the seering heat, from memory. And blow me, we ultimately lost 3 -2. :D Goalkeeping errors,ofc That was one hell of a World Cup - the last time Pele played in one

Our pals from Deutschland had the decency to buy the beer later....wasn't that just a time?:thumbsup:

10 Jun 2014, 21:29 PM

I think Belgium has a good chance of finishing third or something on that level.
PAGES (12)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS