Login

russian armor

Build Orders, general strateg(y/ies) in 1v1

1 Jun 2014, 06:56 AM
Senior Editor Badge

I'm just curious as to what the higher level Ostheer players are using for BOs and late game combinations.
I watched Cataclaw's 15 game challenge (game 9-13) and I liked the 5 Gren build. So I tried it myself and it worked well; I'm under 1,000 in the German 1v1 ladder now. I was about 1300 before.
I'm curious as to what BOs other players are using, and some ideas about armor mixes.
For example...
...When are snipers a good choice?
...If I want 2 MGs, how many grens?
...Is a mortar a good idea in an opening BO, or best used after the 5 min. mark?
...Against what are Stugs worth their cost? Is it better to save fuel another minute or so for a P4?
...what tanks mix well together? With the Soviet reliance on call-ins for hard-hitting armor, what do some of the top players prefer? I really only see T34-85s in 1v1s these days. The KV tanks aren't an issue if the game is at least tied in terms of the fuel race, and IS-2 isn't cost effective anymore.

Why is the Lightning War doctrine so good?
If there are mines everywhere, is it a good idea to get a 2nd pio for 2 sweeper squads?

If there are any other tips anyone has, or BOs to share, please do!
I think it's good to remind everyone that focus-firing can make a huge difference in infantry engagements, but make sure all your men are in range of the unit! Note: If an enemy unit is crossing negative or no cover, I find it effective to switch my firing to that unit briefly, so it takes more casualties as it crosses.
1 Jun 2014, 07:18 AM

Snipers can be used against T1 (if there are heavy infantry around) and T2. Against T1, it's essential to have a 222 out and get the vet 1 ability, because its infantry detection is cheap and can detect snipers/AT guns (shown in the tactical map).

Usually I think that 4 Grens 1 Mg to 222 is a good starting BO. Then I would eventually get a 2nd pio for minesweepers and adapt (maybe a mortar). If you have map control, you don't often need to get minesweepers very early. I'd let the pioneer reach vet 1 first.

Im hoping that mine aoe will get fix to prevent squad whipes (seems like it was an accident).
1 Jun 2014, 07:21 AM

go grenspam if you want to be a dick and win.

Go 3-4 grens and support weapons if you want to have a good game and have some fun.
1 Jun 2014, 16:21 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2014, 07:21 AMBurts
go grenspam if you want to be a dick and win.

^A lot of Soviet players do that too... spam cons or maxims. I'm just playing them at their own game :nahnah:
Thanks Moon Hoplite! I always forget about the Vet 1 ability for the 222. It's just so flimsy compared to the PE 222 I've ignored it... it's a bit like the Ost sniper, especially when there's a guards doctrine being used.
1 Jun 2014, 16:49 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

-Sniper is a good choice if you face more than 2 maxims.
- 2 or 3 grens I'd say.
- I would get a mortat after 5 minutes if you feel you can let him safely fire at stuff.
-Stugs are great on open maps such as langres or minsk. They are the best against T3 and Is2. Against t3485 they are good too but positioning is key against them when they charge in. You want to get at least 2 of them + a pak against 2 t3485.
-Tiger + T3 is the strongest combination.
-2 pios are good.

Nn small maps such as semoisky I go: pio,2gren,mg. On large maps I skip the pio and go 3gren,mg.
I then get a gren/mg/sniper depending if I see a snipers/m3/t2 respectively. now it is time to tech to T2 and get a 222 against snipers or a 251 against other stuff. Then either a pgren against t2/cons or a gren against t1.
The biggest decision is to tech to t3 or to get a pak and wait for callins.
I recently started playing 1v1s after 2v2s only. Im top150 with germans atm.
Hope this helps :)
1 Jun 2014, 19:26 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Sarantini... Thank you.
I copied your response into wordpad and printed it out. haha. It worked great! Here's the first game I played with your advice
2 Jun 2014, 09:17 AM

222 is a very powerful unit right now for Ost.. its difficult to counter when it comes out. Good micro and inteligent use essential of course.

Much like a well used M3 for Soviets, it forces your opponent to change how they move around the map, i.e. less harrassing, forces more concentrated.
12 Jun 2014, 07:13 AM
Benefactor 340

Stugs can be used in lue of a p4 however i find them more suited for defensive play, or on maps with little room to maneuver, for instance i prefer stugs on a map like semois (semosky) where stugs are ideal for defending the middle or the bridge aproach from either base

i prefer to go for p4 if the soviet player is using t-34s alot or t70s and if they have lots of mobile infantry that could knock the stugs engine out.
12 Jun 2014, 07:21 AM

I hate all the german tanks that arent call ins atm and the mortar halftrack insanely useful so i go g g g g g g g mhf pak pak into tiger spam
12 Jun 2014, 08:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2014, 07:21 AMmorten1
I hate all the german tanks that arent call ins atm and the mortar halftrack insanely useful so i go g g g g g g g mhf pak pak into tiger spam

He asked for under 1000's Ostheer 1v1 strategies advises, not noob comp stomp 4v4 spams...

BTW, my advise which helped me going closer to 500's are : stop focusing on build orders, and learn to adapt yourself at what the enemy is doing, it will greatly improve your skill.

I totaly agree with Sarantini, except maybe for the second pio that IMHO you can delay after getting some armor, cause either you use it close combat or mining and 2 is a bit too much for micro (i mean in opportunity cost), either you wait to have enough armor to use him for repairs.

The thing is late game with ostheer : either you'll face T34/85 and you'll want to deal with it with T3 as soon as it comes out, or you have the balls to wait for an ASAP Tiger, with T2 only and schreks. I usually go 1 Pz IV and 2 paks, with a fuel depot for the Tiger (don't really know if it's that cost effective though).
13 Jun 2014, 09:23 AM

He asked for under 1000's Ostheer 1v1 strategies advises, not noob comp stomp 4v4 spams...

BTW, my advise which helped me going closer to 500's are : stop focusing on build orders, and learn to adapt yourself at what the enemy is doing, it will greatly improve your skill.

Well that certainly hurts.... It is my 1v1 strategy i only play 1v1 im going to go cry myself to sleep now
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 29
United States 15
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak