Login

russian armor

Hands on Western Fronts Armies

PAGES (75)down
6 Jun 2014, 23:41 PM

Luftwaffe Ground forces looks like the best. Flak guns, FJs, call in MG34 HMGs, etc. This is a faction that's strong with heavy armor anyway.

Breakthrough looks second best (Come to think of it, the Panzerfusiliers resemble Pathfinders in description).

Then Spec Ops is probably the least useful.
6 Jun 2014, 23:46 PM

Luftwaffe Ground forces looks like the best. Flak guns, FJs, call in MG34 HMGs, etc. This is a faction that's strong with heavy armor anyway.

Breakthrough looks second best (Come to think of it, the Panzerfusiliers resemble Pathfinders in description).

Then Spec Ops is probably the least useful.

In a faction that is muni and fuel starved, luftwaffe ground forces look the best out of those 3 we saw (we know that both factions have plenty more commanders than we have seen), simply because it seems like it has a lot of manpower abilities, and OKW seems to have a normal manpower income (but of course, units have huge upkeep). FJ's sound like American paratrooper counterparts; the mg34, flak defense, and trenches sound mostly manpower costing, so you can call in a lot of necessary support without harming your vital resource income.

Notice how the all 3 defensive options come as one in one commander slot, while normally Ostheer trenches and tank traps are all seperate.
6 Jun 2014, 23:50 PM

^
It's not manpower starved, too? I did, in a very rough manner, observe the fuel progression. It looks to me that they get maybe 75% of the fuel that the other factions do.

So there's the Jagdpanzer IV left, and it's probably in one of the buildings that we didn't see.

It's funny because normally a Super Panther call in would be great for Ostheer but for this faction..heavy duty AFV is the norm.
6 Jun 2014, 23:59 PM

Does anyone else realise that the names of units are less anglicized in the new faction? For example, you have "Obersoldaten" instead of "Top Soldiers" (Did they mean Veteran or Elite? ). Whereas on the other hand, "Shock Troops" aren't called "Shturmovaya Voyska".
7 Jun 2014, 00:00 AM

^
It's not manpower starved, too? I did, in a very rough manner, observe the fuel progression. It looks to me that they get maybe 75% of the fuel that the other factions do.

So there's the Jagdpanzer IV left, and it's probably in one of the buildings that we didn't see.

It's funny because normally a Super Panther call in would be great for Ostheer but for this faction..heavy duty AFV is the norm.

With a squad of Sturmpioneers on the field, they first start with 287 manpower income. That doesn't sound manpower starved to me, as i said, high unit upkeep instead.

Does anyone else realise that the names of units are less anglicized in the new faction? For example, you have "Obersoldaten" instead of "Top Soldiers" (Did they mean Veteran or Elite?). Whereas on the other hand, "Shock Troops" aren't called "Shturmovaya Voyska".

I really like that the Germans are more... German. I think it is an emphasis that the Germans have their own special form of elite? (OKW has emphasis in many places). For Soviets, practically the only soviet written text are the names of the tier buildings (And katyusha...and they sometimes say the nicknames of infantry and tanks, but thats verbal). Technically, it should be all in Cyrillic like on the Soviet tanks, but even i cant read that.
7 Jun 2014, 00:20 AM

Does anyone else realise that the names of units are less anglicized in the new faction? For example, you have "Obersoldaten" instead of "Top Soldiers" (Did they mean Veteran or Elite? ).

Ober- was kinda a prefix for a Soldier on the level of a Private first class / Senior Private.

The actual Name was Oberschütze I think, or depending of unit type Obergrenadier, Oberpionier etc

7 Jun 2014, 00:27 AM

'Obersoldaten' is kind of made up term to me. I noticed that they are SS, and SS ranks have a lot of 'Ober', 'Sturm' and 'unter' prefixes. The 'Sturm officer' appears to be SS as well (if my pictures are correct).

The 'Panzerfusilier' is very niche- There was a regiment of the GD division called this but it was just a name designed to ease identification. 'Fusilier' battalions were late war German light infantry battalions that replaced the traditional recon battalions int the infantry divisions. It's kind of a meaningless name as well.

What does have meaning, however, is Jaeger from Ostheer. 'Jaeger light infantry' is used, but in a weird way.

Historically, Jaeger divisions in 41-42 were elite light infantry divisions with different equipment than a line infantry division. They were usually in reserve for offensive action.
7 Jun 2014, 00:29 AM

Yeah I don't argue that it's a bad thing, but there's a clear divide in the naming scheme of the new and old factions, and I just prefer consistency. And it doesn't need to be in Cyrillic, it could still be anglicized but the point is it's not in Russian, while new unit names are obviously in German.

As for the name Obersoldaten, my German friend tells me it doesn't have a direct translation into English, but tried to describe them as "higher-ranked" or "more important" soldiers. Makes sense for OKW either way.
7 Jun 2014, 00:30 AM

Ill take it. I am wondering if the trucks take up popcap and manpower. Currently, i am trying to determine to upkeep of the KT, and ill edit this post when i have it done.

EDIT: Sorry for the long wait, my ability to replay high quality videos on Twitch isn't good. Anyways, the manpower income decreases by 39 once the KT comes in. That doesn't seem like a lot to me.
7 Jun 2014, 00:49 AM

Someone knows anything about some public betas coming? They could make a closed beta at least for who pre-ordered
7 Jun 2014, 00:55 AM

Did you notice @ 21 when he buys the KT- the pop cap actually doesn't move? It drops by 3 but I think it's just casualties.
7 Jun 2014, 01:08 AM

Did you notice @ 21 when he buys the KT- the pop cap actually decreases from 34 to 27?

???

Its because his infantry blob got massacred. Its not related to the KT. Popcap-wise and manpower-wise, OKW gets some relief there. They should at least have that.
7 Jun 2014, 01:09 AM

So OKW tanks don't take up popcap? surprising.

7 Jun 2014, 01:20 AM

The King Tiger took up 26 popcap.

EDIT: It appears that the kubelwagen costs a whopping ZERO fuel. Its all cheap manpower, and you can scavenge 5 fuel from it once it dies. It seems to cost only 240 mp, and can be your first unit made to suppress and stall the enemy from advancing. OKW is highly micro intensive, but has a good payoff.
7 Jun 2014, 01:43 AM

What is this?!?! OKW units slowly gain vet over time by practically doing nothing! I was studying the kubelwagen, and i noticed that it was only driving around and the experience bar was going up by 1% per second. Okay, that was a random estimate, but it was easily noticeable!
7 Jun 2014, 01:47 AM

yeah, nvm, it's 26.

The KT takes about a dozen point blank hits to the rear by the T-34/85s before it goes down. It's probably best to use it like an assault gun and supported like one, too. I saw Front armor hits bounce and do zero damage.

Its movement speed: It's faster and more maneuverable than ISU/elefant but slower than Tiger & IS-2.

Gunfire damage? It penned a T-34/85 and took 1/3rd health away. I'm guessing damage is 240-160.

OKW lacks indirect fire and suppression. I can only think of the Walking stuka, which is not shown. The 75mm ID is long ranged but seems to have less firepower and accuracy than I anticipated.

This pretty much makes the call-in HMG MG-34 pretty important.

7 Jun 2014, 01:50 AM

What is this?!?! OKW units slowly gain vet over time by practically doing nothing! I was studying the kubelwagen, and i noticed that it was only driving around and the experience bar was going up by 1% per second. Okay, that was a random estimate, but it was easily noticeable!

Where in the video? I'm in the alpha and I've never seen that.
7 Jun 2014, 02:12 AM

When's that? Because I went back and looked and I don't see it. I even took pictures at 7:33 and 7:50 and overlayed them, but there's no difference.
7 Jun 2014, 02:16 AM

The vet 2, vet 3 ubersoldaten have 2 MG-34s....and the MG-34 can be fired on the run like BARs and such. It's not like the LMG42.

7 Jun 2014, 02:18 AM

yeah, nvm, it's 26.

The KT takes about a dozen point blank hits to the rear by the T-34/85s before it goes down. It's probably best to use it like an assault gun and supported like one, too. I saw Front armor hits bounce and do zero damage.

Its movement speed: It's faster and more maneuverable than ISU/elefant but slower than Tiger & IS-2.

Gunfire damage? It penned a T-34/85 and took 1/3rd health away. I'm guessing damage is 240-160.

OKW lacks indirect fire and suppression. I can only think of the Walking stuka, which is not shown. The 75mm ID is long ranged but seems to have less firepower and accuracy than I anticipated.

This pretty much makes the call-in HMG MG-34 pretty important.

Suppression yeah, they only seem to have the Kubelwagen as far as we've seen. No telling how the MG 34 will perform. In real life the MG 34 was just a slower 42, and the 42 in game isn't impressive, sooo.
PAGES (75)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS