Login

russian armor

Maxim - Enough said

PAGES (8)down
21 May 2014, 01:00 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2014, 00:11 AMCieZ
Maxims are more vulnerable to mortar fire because of the way in which mortar mechanics work in this game. Basically what happens is the mortar shoots, at this point in time it places a marker on the squad that it is shooting at(or barrage circle). The shot then "scatters" away from that marker based on the distance traveled, vet, bulletins, etc. A deployed Maxim is stationary, meaning it will get hit a lot more often than say a Conscript squad that is walking around - and could easily walk outside the scatter AoE without even realizing that it is getting shot at, simply because Cons are almost always going to be on the move. You don't even have to use the barrage on the Maxim, you can just keep right clicking with your mortar selected, or attack ground where the maxim is meaning the maxim squad is going to have to relocate constantly. So yeah, long story short, all set-up teams are more vulnerable to indirect fire than normal infantry squads.

Just gonna add for anyone who might get confused: setup teams take increased damage from small-arms fire but not from area-of-effect weapons. That in no way nullifies your point that Mortars work quite well vs. Maxims, especially with cover being so much more important since the weapon profile changes I build Ostheer mortar almost every game.
21 May 2014, 01:22 AM

Just gonna add for anyone who might get confused: setup teams take increased damage from small-arms fire but not from area-of-effect weapons. That in no way nullifies your point that Mortars work quite well vs. Maxims, especially with cover being so much more important since the weapon profile changes I build Ostheer mortar almost every game.

The only area of effect weapons (maybe easier to think of as explosions) that won't instantly kill infantry models (weapon crews or not) are the outskirts of grenades and the outskirts of mortar shots. Tank shells, werfer/Katy shots, howitzers, etc tend to do way more than enough damage to kill any infantry model instantly unless they model is VERY far from the center of the explosion.

Also, to clarify, as of this patch weapon crews have a received accuracy modifier. Slightly different than a received damage modifier but against small arms is basically equates to 25% more small arms damage taken. So you're mostly right, for all intents and purposes anyways :)
21 May 2014, 07:21 AM

He got one mortar half track and one sniper. If he had gotten any more of either it would of been an easier game. Did you not see the amount of kills that one sniper got? the only reason it was not a solid win was because he went a safer more combined arms route instead of getting more hard counters after seeing so many maxims. I have seen Cataclaw, Siberian, VonIvan, NorthWestFresh, and others do it before, I think you are just stubborn.

These players represent the best players of coh 2 and win because they have far superior skills then the average newbie maxim spammer. That doesn't mean the maxim is not op dumbass.

Basically without AT grenades the 222 gets to run around the map unchecked, while also bleeding you harder than if you had Conscripts around with AT nades - and god forbid it flanks your ZiS gun while you have nothing but 6x Maxims on the field - you just gave your opponent a free AT gun.

No decent German player would allow his sc to get at naded. of course they do more damage up close but conscripts fail hard to take out a sc from cover and at range. maxims with at support like guards or zis have a far better time at it.

21 May 2014, 07:47 AM

Do not underestimate snipers against maxim spam. Exactly which unit would you like the soviet to kill your sniper with?

No T1, no cons, an RNG mortar is the closest thing to a counter they could have.
21 May 2014, 07:50 AM

AT-Gun fire/barrage :D
21 May 2014, 08:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2014, 07:21 AMJaigen

These players represent the best players of coh 2 and win because they have far superior skills then the average newbie maxim spammer. That doesn't mean the maxim is not op dumbass.

If you want to discredit everything that is thrown your way, you might just as well quit the discussion, because you don't give a shit about how to counter maxims and only thing you care for it nerfing them so you can grenspam with impunity or no adaptation.

If you see a better then you player countering something, you don't go screaming "OMG HE GUT AND I R BAD, HE GOD OF MICRO, I CAN NOT KNOW DIFFERENCE BETWUN PIO AND GREN", you watch fucking better players and LEARN from them. This is the exact reason why I have relatively small number of games played, but I'm way better then VAST majority of players who have 1000s games with CoH2.

You are as good as you let yourself be. If you're not willing on improving yourself, don't blame balance, because its not balance thats bad here-its you and only you are to blame.

This applies in general to about 95% of posters on this and official forums.
Most of balance threads could be replaced with "Why the fuck would I have to use anything else then grens and tigers?" and it wouldn't change a thing about whats inside them.

No decent German player would allow his sc to get at naded. of course they do more damage up close but conscripts fail hard to take out a sc from cover and at range. maxims with at support like guards or zis have a far better time at it.

There are no cons in maxim spam. There is a high chance that there are no guards with T2 build as well.
Unless sov gets 2 ZiS guns to face the same direction, your SC should not die to anything, but will be able to distract maxims for repositioning/retreats and even retreat kills, which it does excellent this patch.
21 May 2014, 08:40 AM

Sweepers and Upgunned Scout Cars. Make sure you target the more isolated maxim squads on ze flanks. That's where this works best. Also for anyone calling the maxim OP......it may be effective when used against things like Gren spam/Assgren spam. But when you get the right counters out maxims aint gonna do *#$&.
And for those wondering what the counters are:
21 May 2014, 09:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2014, 08:24 AMKatitof

You are as good as you let yourself be. If you're not willing on improving yourself, don't blame balance, because its not balance thats bad here-its you and only you are to blame.

This applies in general to about 95% of posters on this and official forums.
Most of balance threads could be replaced with "Why the fuck would I have to use anything else then grens and tigers?" and it wouldn't change a thing about whats inside them.

Your acting like a retard again. i never said i couldn't defeat maxim spam. in fact i would do something as von ivan posted. But i still consider the margin for error between using the counters against maxims and maxim spam to be rather huge and requires more skill for the german player to defeat.
21 May 2014, 09:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2014, 09:42 AMJaigen

Your acting like a retard again. i never said i couldn't defeat maxim spam. in fact i would do something as von ivan posted. But i still consider the margin for error between using the counters against maxims and maxim spam to be rather huge and requires more skill for the german player to defeat.

I don't think he's the one acting like retard.
Margin for error? When doing what VonIvan said correctly you should be owning Maxims.
If you struggle against these units being spammed it got nothing to do with game balance.
21 May 2014, 11:02 AM

I don't think he's the one acting like retard.
Margin for error? When doing what VonIvan said correctly you should be owning Maxims.
If you struggle against these units being spammed it got nothing to do with game balance.

Well at least you have good self reflection .

It is hilarious however that i said the entire thread that using snipers against the maxim is a waste. vonivan confirms this: yet

One thing you tend to ignore is that Maxim spamer lost this game. If German player went for second Sniper the game would have ended much quicker

You have no idea what your talking about and are not on my level. And since your reading comprehension fails you again: for the most time i own maxim spam.
21 May 2014, 11:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2014, 11:02 AMJaigen

Well at least you have good self reflection .

It is hilarious however that i said the entire thread that using snipers against the maxim is a waste. vonivan confirms this: yet

You have no idea what your talking about and are not on my level. And since your reading comprehension fails you again: for the most time i own maxim spam.

For me Snipers work wonders so it could be experience, level of play difference or a matter of opinion.
Also if you have no problem with Maxims why so vocal about it?
21 May 2014, 12:28 PM

Do not underestimate snipers against maxim spam. Exactly which unit would you like the soviet to kill your sniper with?

No T1, no cons, an RNG mortar is the closest thing to a counter they could have.

This doesn't really apply to a 2v2 where one player has spammed maxims and the other actually has gone special rifle command.
21 May 2014, 12:33 PM

This doesn't really apply to a 2v2 where one player has spammed maxims and the other actually has gone special rifle command.

And what is your team mate doing? Spamming caches?
21 May 2014, 12:59 PM

For me Snipers work wonders so it could be experience, level of play difference or a matter of opinion.
Also if you have no problem with Maxims why so vocal about it?

Of course they work on the lower levels . But it takes a lot of time a for a sniper to drive a maxim of. on higher levels you will quickly lose the map. that's why you use pio's and sc's because a flank by them will drive a maxim of.

Im vocal about it because i believe its unbalanced. just as i was focal about g43 being unbalanced previous patch despite i defeated that as well
21 May 2014, 14:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2014, 07:21 AMJaigen

Yes it can be difficult to get AT nades off on cars - but the threat is still denying them a lot of mobility/freedom. Plus if you're in green cover or a building with a Con squad the 222 won't do much damage to you at all. The threat of AT nades also deters 222 flanks on your weapon teams. If you spam 6 maxims the 221s/222s can wipe you all day with no real fear of dying - sure they might eat one ZiS shot, but then they just go repair.

It really isn't that difficult to see why not having Conscripts around is a bad thing. (Of course this only applies to 1v1 since in team games your ally can get Cons or Guard M3 - and mines tend to be more difficult to sweep in team games.
21 May 2014, 16:12 PM

Just keep in mind that luvnest is a top 10 player, and I am top 50. There is a huge difference between the two. I was frustrated that I beat his a$$ from the start to the end and failed to close the deal. The issue is that I don't have a PRO endgame or PRO micro skills. My opening however is OP.
21 May 2014, 17:27 PM

Just keep in mind that luvnest is a top 10 player, and I am top 50. There is a huge difference between the two. I was frustrated that I beat his a$$ from the start to the end and failed to close the deal. The issue is that I don't have a PRO endgame or PRO micro skills. My opening however is OP.

Just keep in mind that like all of us top ten players are humans and do not always play 100% correctly. It happens in SCII all the time. Your "OP" opening was only OP because luvnest did not get more counters. Of the units he got to counter your maxims they all did a great amount of damage. An earlier scout car would have put you hugely behind as it would just pick off outer maxims just like in the replay. a second sniper would of forced maxims to retreat when they got shot at because by the time they pick it up and run they'll be down to two men.

There are a few other ways this game could have played out:
luvnest chose the mortar half track, a large fuel investment. He could of just gotten a mortar and saved the fuel to pump out a P4 which would have set you behind to the stone ages as you had no conscripts to stop it from just driving about killing you only Zis and murdering the maxims.

Another way this could of gone down is a second scout car, the two of them upgunned would have slaughtered Maxims while the sniper picked off the last man

See there are many ways this could of gone down that would of driven off the maxim spam

21 May 2014, 17:49 PM

I've been watching some history channel and got the best quote ever

“Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.”

― Hilaire Belloc

So suitable for this thread.
21 May 2014, 17:49 PM

Or another way that it could have gone is that I played more conservatively in the end game. I had no clue that luvnest was a top player, and I was trying to finish him off. In hindsight, I could have just built an ISU 152 and nailed him from distance while I had 80% map control.

I've played against mortars, mortar half tracks, and scout cars. Micro skills are usually the most important factor. Mortars I counter with aggressive maxims. Mortar half tracks w AT or Guards. And, I have beaten top 20 guys w Guards v scout cars.

I think with this strategy and some improved end game play that I could move into the top 20. 6 maxims to start is a very effective strategy. With it I have moved from being a 1000+ ranked player into the top 40s.

21 May 2014, 17:51 PM

There are a few other ways this game could have played out:
luvnest chose the mortar half track, a large fuel investment. He could of just gotten a mortar and saved the fuel to pump out a P4 which would have set you behind to the stone ages as you had no conscripts to stop it from just driving about killing you only Zis and murdering the maxims.

Yes lets ignore that he had both fuel points.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS