Login

russian armor

Western Armies - Tiers and Units?

PAGES (8)down
10 May 2014, 20:06 PM

Im not sure if M26 Pershing can handle the heaviest germans vehicles thats why I would love to sie T26 Super Pershing.. It could destroy kings tiger even when hit frontal armor
10 May 2014, 20:17 PM

Im not sure if M26 Pershing can handle the heaviest germans vehicles thats why I would love to sie T26 Super Pershing.. It could destroy kings tiger even when hit frontal armor
No, it couldn´t.

If you are referring to that instance where one of the only two Super Pershings that every saw service in WW2 defeated a King Tiger, you should also state that the German crew was inexperienced and drove up a ditch so the underbelly of the tank was exposed.
10 May 2014, 20:24 PM

No, it couldn´t.

If you are referring to that instance where one of the only two Super Pershings that every saw service in WW2 defeated a King Tiger, you should also state that the German crew was inexperienced and drove up a ditch so the underbelly of the tank was exposed.
http://www.3ad.com/history/news/super.pershing.1.htm
How about 18yrs old shooter? Never minde. This is about gun and armor not about crew.
10 May 2014, 20:28 PM

http://www.3ad.com/history/news/super.pershing.1.htm
How about 18yrs old shooter? Never minde. This is about gun and armor not about crew.
It has everything to do with the crew...

"The 90mm AP round penetrated the Tiger's underbelly, apparently striking the ammo well and resulting in a tremendous explosion that blew its turret loose."

If the crew didn´t expose their underbelly, the shot would have bounced off the frontal armor and the Super Pershing might as well be toast. You were saying the Super Pershing could go through the Kign Tigers frontal armor, thus I thought you were referring to that one instance where the two actually met each other. And in this situation the frontal armor of the King Tiger was not penetrated.
10 May 2014, 21:11 PM

But this link is not what I said before about frontal armor. That was other thing. This one i just found.

Nevertheless I want to see super Pershing cause one heavy tank is not enough
10 May 2014, 21:18 PM

The super pershing's gun had excellent penetration: 220mm @ 30 degree s/1000 meters with Tungsten ammo. This is considerably more than the King Tiger's frontal plate even with sloping put into consideration.

In combat conditions I believe that it would be penetrated.

Since COH series always have ultra rare AFVs like Jagdtiger and Sturmtiger...they should allow the US faction the Super Pershing. The Sturmtiger is particularly funny as it barely has a combat record yet it's the star of the expansion.

It would be cool to play as USA and have the super tank for a change...
10 May 2014, 21:29 PM

You may also add that shell's speed was 1200m/s for super Pershing and 1130m/s for tiger II
10 May 2014, 21:33 PM

I don't see why people want a faction with no core units. They tried that with Panzer Elite and the alternative was it ended up becoming a blob fest. Literally the only way to play competitively was to just make a critical mass blob that killed everything. And the perks for keeping infantry close only supported that behavior too.

What next, a faction where the only infantry are (pre-patch) Osttruppen into (pre-patch) Shock Troops?

Then there's the people that want things that were so ultra rare, the number in existence at the time can be counted on one-hand, if that. IS-3, T26, etc. Why don't we just add Patton and Leopard Tanks, they weren't there yet but "it would be cool".

As for my opinion on Americans, I think it would be cool if the Americans mixed old CoH 2 concepts within their own faction. For example, the Aemricans have a linear tech structure where all buildings are expected to be built. By default they have 75mm Shermans and M18 Hellcats. But say they go for a "Tank Destroyer" doctrine, at the required CP's both units are replaced (in the building) by their stronger counterparts. Old versions of the units on the field could have a "phase out" option where for a small cost, it will be replaced by the newer unit with the same crew (veterancy is maintained).
10 May 2014, 21:45 PM

The current COH2 has some very rare units, but only on the German side: Elefant, Ostwind, Puma.

The expansion so far, Rare units: Panzer II Luchs, Sturmtiger, Jagdtiger

The star of the expansion is a SP artillery piece that was built out of worn out tiger hulls (trash), built at a tune of a dozen, and saw barely any action outside shelling troops occasionally.

Being the loser of the war and suffering from an acute shortage of vehicles, the Germans tended to field prototypes & shop conversions into combat. The Allies and Soviets, which had many similar prototypes of their own, would have considered this to be a waste of effort.
10 May 2014, 23:03 PM
Patrion 14

I agree with Mr. Someguy. The pursuit of novelty is dangerous. I think iconic / core Wehr units should make the grade, even if only as call-ins.

It's like saying the MG42 should be left out because we already have it in the Ostheer, despite it being a core / pivotal unit that appeared across all theatres.
10 May 2014, 23:16 PM

When it comes to "Super Pershing" vs "King Tiger" then its more about "Who shots and hits first?".

The King Tiger had 150mm frontal armour.
The Super Pershing had 140mm front armour on the upper part and i think 177mm at the lower part(2x +38mm steel plate)
(It was an upgraded Version of the normal Pershing.Super Pershing had the 102mm front armour of the normal Pershing + an additional Steelplate of 38mm. 102mm + 38mm = 140mm)

Both guns were very very powerfull.
The super Pershings main gun the T15E1 90mm L/73 had a Barrel lenght of 6570mm(90mm * 73).King Tiger had 6250mm.Only the Jagdtigers 128mm L/55 had a longer gun with a Barrel lenght of 7040mm(128mm * 55).

Only 1 of the super Pershings were ever used in WW2.Would be super rare.

Relic could maybe add the super Pershing as a limited 1 time call in similar to the Tiger Ace.

This pic Shows the "super Pershing" compared to the normal Pershing.That Thing Looks like fun.You can see the 38mm extra steelplate on the super Pershings front in the pic.

As Long as my German OKW have the Jagdtiger with 250mm armour and the 128mm Pak 44 i see no Problems with a super Pershing.
10 May 2014, 23:17 PM

I agree with Mr. Someguy. The pursuit of novelty is dangerous. I think iconic / core Wehr units should make the grade, even if only as call-ins.

It's like saying the MG42 should be left out because we already have it in the Ostheer, despite it being a core / pivotal unit that appeared across all theatres.

Well, if we consider the fact that MG42 WAS left out when PE came in... as well as long barreled P4, as well as PaK AT guns as well as... ect ect.

Thing is, you can't have many similarities and keep the unique feel, so I wouldn't be surprised if OKW suddenly forgot to give MG42s to their infantry or even use P4 and StuGs at all.
10 May 2014, 23:18 PM
Patrion 14

Given that *two* atomic bombs were dropped by the USA in WW2 why not have them as well? After all, it's one more than a very rare, utterly insignificant niche piece of armour.
10 May 2014, 23:19 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2014, 23:17 PMKatitof

Thing is, you can't have many similarities and keep the unique feel, so I wouldn't be surprised if OKW suddenly forgot to give MG42s to their infantry or even use P4 and StuGs at all.

I don't want a Brit faction lookalike, but giving the Germans MG bunkers like the Vickers bunkers in vCoH would actually make sense.

10 May 2014, 23:21 PM

Something similar could also be added to the Ostheer:
The "Sturer Emil":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturer_Emil

It had the Special 128mm L/61 gun with a Barrel lenght of 7808mm even longer then that of the Jagdtiger. only 2 were build and in Service on the eastern front.One of These Thing destroyed 22 enemy tanks.

It was the most powerfull at gun of WW2.The gun of the Elephant or "super Pershing" would be a joke compared to it.
11 May 2014, 00:06 AM

Many the core German units (I mentioned) in both vCOH and COH were fielded in numbers less than 100 or less than 50.

I remember from VCOH there was even the G-wagon- essentially a rare field modification of captured French tanks. There was also the Recovery Tiger.

There's a lot of prototype US heavy armor that were produced with similar or greater numbers (produced in the hundreds). T20, T22, T23, T24, T25.

They were not fielded however, but if the Germans had this kit they would have fielded it right away and we'd see in videogames decades later....:bananadance:
11 May 2014, 00:55 AM

But Things like "super Pershing"(only 1 saw ever combat at the end of WW2) and the german "Sturer Emil"(Only 2 saw ever combat in WW2) were even much more rare then Sturmtigers and Jagdtigers. These things should be only added as a 1 time call in and not be able to mass produce them in a game.
11 May 2014, 00:57 AM

Given that *two* atomic bombs were dropped by the USA in WW2 why not have them as well? After all, it's one more than a very rare, utterly insignificant niche piece of armour.

BeltFedWombat gets it :D
11 May 2014, 01:14 AM

I have a book that covers this vehicle. 19 Sturmtigers were built. Here are notes:

It fired from 5000 meters away and was more like a self propelled artillery piece.

The sturmtiger did little in WW2- it shelled positions in the west and east fronts.

In the Warsaw uprising it fired at buildings. The Army commander commented that the crews were untrained factory workers and they missed most of their shots "they can't shoot".

A few were in the West front and fired at US forces on the Siegfried line, Reichswald and Ruhr Valley.

The US Army captured 3 and British Army captured 1. The Soviets also captured 1. The Germans presumably blew up 6 themselves.
11 May 2014, 01:34 AM

I'm not defending Relic's discussion, but where's the line on these suggestions?

Besides, that's still quite a bit more action than the T26 or IS3. The T26 blew up one or two tanks, and the IS3 only took part in Russia's Victory Day Parade.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS