Login

russian armor

Western Armies - Tiers and Units?

PAGES (8)down
9 May 2014, 19:29 PM
Patrion 14

I'm not as familiar with the US army in this period, but I knew they had good arty and relied on a tank destroyer doctrine, that is to say they viewed *tanks* as infantry support vehicles, not dedicated tank-killers. This view prevailed until mid-1944.

I would like some of the character of their generals in the game, say Patton or Bradley and reflected in commander abilities (a death or glory type ability for Patton's tank troops or a more considered 'broad front' for Bradley).
9 May 2014, 19:48 PM

Maybe we will see the m24 Chaffee light tank. fast and better suspension than an m3 or m5 and with a 75mm gun. I bet they can eat Pumas for breakfast and all day long.

And why not? Only 200 Puma 1s and 100 Puma 2s wre ever built, but though it arrived to the European theater late (Nov. '44) there were 4,700 Chaffees built by Aug. of 1945.

True the US conceived of tanks as infantry support weapons (and the Sherman excelled at it), but the experienced crews also adapted to the situation and the Shermans were also adapted. They learned tactics to occupy and flank the heavier, and much less numerous, German tanks. As on German tanker recollected, "a German tank (I think he was talking of the Tiger I) was worth 10 Shermans, but there was always an 11th." And in tank on tank combat the Americans held up very well and the TDs often proved very effective in their role.

I would like to see 75mm artillery for the airborne. Can be glider dropped. I think this was missing from the original AB doctrine in CoH. (Considering how nerfed the Bomb Drop was, Airborne had no artillery).
9 May 2014, 19:57 PM

I'm not as familiar with the US army in this period, but I knew they had good arty and relied on a tank destroyer doctrine, that is to say they viewed *tanks* as infantry support vehicles, not dedicated tank-killers. This view prevailed until mid-1944.

I would like some of the character of their generals in the game, say Patton or Bradley and reflected in commander abilities (a death or glory type ability for Patton's tank troops or a more considered 'broad front' for Bradley).

Well; I read a book about the US Army from 1944 to 1945. I highly recommend it to you if you want to know more about the american forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Soldiers
9 May 2014, 20:15 PM

Well the pre-order video shows (in order)

American Airborne

Something that looks that a Panzer II or maybe a PIII

Kubelwagen

Air to Ground Rockets

Sturm Tiger

++++++++++++

Jagdtiger was also in the Video.
9 May 2014, 20:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Pretty sure its a Panzer II Luchs

Good call
9 May 2014, 20:37 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 May 2014, 20:15 PMAffe

Jagdtiger was also in the Video.

People complaining about dominance of Elephants and ISU152s will no doubt be overjoyed to see Jagdtigers and SturmTigers...
9 May 2014, 21:44 PM

Like to add some abilities for doctrines

V1 & V2 ,Naval Gunfire ,proximity fuses , Window ,Three levels of recon ,Level 1 for germans can only see vehicles ,Level 2 for allies can see troops and vehicles ,Level 3 No fog of war just for allies.
Carpet bombing, Bomber Command A icon the allied player can press the freezes German ammo and fuel for a certain amount of time ,simulates strategic bombing

Air superiority to cover a area of map

Air taxi rank with maybe 3 planes waiting to attack

counter battery fire

Code breaking - tells you which doctrine your opponent picked

French Partisans
as much cheese and chrome possible.
9 May 2014, 21:48 PM

People complaining about dominance of Elephants and ISU152s will no doubt be overjoyed to see Jagdtigers and SturmTigers...

Haha Jagdtiger 1shotting shermans from across the map. The rage will be formidable.
9 May 2014, 21:53 PM

I bet jagdtiger will be B4 soviet howitzer on tracks, it will require munitions to shoot and will shoot accurately with a high damage output. Will be slow as hell but strong as heaven.
9 May 2014, 22:03 PM

This is pure speculation, but from what I saw in the trailer it seemed the Germans were lacking in the strong multi-role armor the vCOH Wehr and the Ostheer have- no P4s, Panthers. What we saw were three vehicles that seem extremely niche- A light scout tank, a super-heavy assault gun, and a super-heavy tank-destroyer. Maybe that'll be the design for OKW- inflexible units that excel at a certain role. I really like this idea, at least for tanks. As for infantry, I'm hoping for Volks, Stormtroopers and maybe even doctrinal Falschirmjager. For the Americans,I want more tanks (different Sherman varieties, the Pershing, a light tank- maybe the Stuart) and Airborne that don't suck, which seem to be coming.
9 May 2014, 22:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 May 2014, 21:48 PMWilliG

Haha Jagdtiger 1shotting shermans from across the map. The rage will be formidable.

Yea, when the shot will cost 180muni as with B4.
9 May 2014, 22:12 PM
Patrion 14

rappit were the PzIVs in the video simply the CoH2 Ostheer vehicles? Or am I imagining PzIVs?
9 May 2014, 22:16 PM

rappit were the PzIVs in the video simply the CoH2 Ostheer vehicles? Or am I imagining PzIVs?

We saw some soviet forces in the video, I assume those were from the Ostheer,
9 May 2014, 22:23 PM

I hope and i am sure that OKW will not have Panzer 4s or Panthers. OKW should not be a mirrored Ostheer with the same Units.There are enough unused tanks and Units for OKW left so they don t Need to have ostheer Units like P4 or Panther.

Units i like to see:

German OKW faction:
A few Units apart from Jagdtiger and Sturmtiger we already saw in the Trailer:
-King Tiger - Henschel
-Jagdpanther
-Jagdpanzer IV/70
-Hetzer
-Marder III
-Panzer III
-Hummel
-Knights cross holders
-Stormtroopers
-Volksgrenadiers
-Gebirgsjaegers
-Strosstruppen
-V1 rocket
-Fallschirmjaegers
-Hauptsturmfuehrer
-210mm Nebelwerfer
-Flak 88
-210mm Morser 18 Heavy Howitzer
-StuH 42
-Wirbelwind Flak Panzer
-Goliath

US Army
-M26 Pershing
-Sherman Jumbo
-Sherman crocodile
-Different Versions of the Shermans
-M 18 Hellcat
-M10 Wolverine Tank destroyer
-M36 "Jackson" Tank-Hunter
-M3 Lee
-Calliope
-Sherman 105 howitzer
-Rangers
-Ranger Captain
-M5 L/50 76mm Anti-Tank Gun
-155 mm Long Tom arty
-Riflemen
-Anti-Tank Team
-Airborne Rangers
-MG-Jeep
-Greyhound
9 May 2014, 22:25 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post9 May 2014, 19:48 PMAvNY
Maybe we will see the m24 Chaffee light tank. fast and better suspension than an m3 or m5 and with a 75mm gun. I bet they can eat Pumas for breakfast and all day long.

And why not? Only 200 Puma 1s and 100 Puma 2s wre ever built, but though it arrived to the European theater late (Nov. '44) there were 4,700 Chaffees built by Aug. of 1945.

True the US conceived of tanks as infantry support weapons (and the Sherman excelled at it), but the experienced crews also adapted to the situation and the Shermans were also adapted. They learned tactics to occupy and flank the heavier, and much less numerous, German tanks. As on German tanker recollected, "a German tank (I think he was talking of the Tiger I) was worth 10 Shermans, but there was always an 11th." And in tank on tank combat the Americans held up very well and the TDs often proved very effective in their role.

I would like to see 75mm artillery for the airborne. Can be glider dropped. I think this was missing from the original AB doctrine in CoH. (Considering how nerfed the Bomb Drop was, Airborne had no artillery).

I definitely want this vehicle to be in the expansion.
9 May 2014, 22:26 PM

It's pretty well unlikely that Westheer won't have Panzer IVs and/or Panthers. I think Relic somewhere even stated this specifically that some units may overlap but might be represented somewhat differently than the Ostheer versions. The heavy tanks and specialty vehicles may give this faction it's character but ultimately you will need medium tanks to fill in med-late game from your buildable tiers.

For the Americans I see the M18 Hellcat and M36 Jackson making appearances, the former T3/T4 while the latter will likely be a call-in. A vast array of Sherman variants and models will return in addition to airborne infantry drops for the first time in CoH2.

Also, I definitely think there will be new Ostheer commanders that might include units from the Westheer arsenal to contain interest in the original faction.

9 May 2014, 22:31 PM
Patrion 14

I wonder if PIV / Panther might mirror the KV1 / KV 8 / T34/85 call-in role the soviets have in the current game.

Given the prevalence of these vehicles on the Western Front, it would be a neat way of keeping them in the game without mirroring the Ostheer too closely.
9 May 2014, 23:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 May 2014, 22:03 PMrappit
This is pure speculation, but from what I saw in the trailer it seemed the Germans were lacking in the strong multi-role armor the vCOH Wehr and the Ostheer have- no P4s, Panthers. What we saw were three vehicles that seem extremely niche- A light scout tank, a super-heavy assault gun, and a super-heavy tank-destroyer. Maybe that'll be the design for OKW- inflexible units that excel at a certain role.

I actually like this idea :D
9 May 2014, 23:47 PM

German OKW faction:
A few Units apart from Jagdtiger and Sturmtiger we already saw in the Trailer:
-King Tiger - Henschel
-Jagdpanther
-Jagdpanzer IV/70
-Hetzer
-Marder III
-Panzer III
-Hummel
-Knights cross holders
-Stormtroopers
-Volksgrenadiers
-Gebirgsjaegers
-Strosstruppen
-V1 rocket
-Fallschirmjaegers
-Hauptsturmfuehrer
-210mm Nebelwerfer
-Flak 88
-210mm Morser 18 Heavy Howitzer
-StuH 42
-Wirbelwind Flak Panzer
-Goliath

US Army
-M26 Pershing
-Sherman Jumbo
-Sherman crocodile
-Different Versions of the Shermans
-M 18 Hellcat
-M10 Wolverine Tank destroyer
-M36 "Jackson" Tank-Hunter
-M3 Lee
-Calliope
-Sherman 105 howitzer
-Rangers
-Ranger Captain
-M5 L/50 76mm Anti-Tank Gun
-155 mm Long Tom arty
-Riflemen
-Anti-Tank Team
-Airborne Rangers
-MG-Jeep
-Greyhound

That's quite the list, and I would like to see all those units, but I doubt we will, at least right away because a lot of them overlap. For example,the American faction simply doesn't need 3 tank destroyers and that's way too much infantry for the OKW. That being said, we may see many of these units eventually in doctrines, if not at the expansion's release. I'm personally hoping for a Jadgpanther for OST and an SU-100 for the Russians in some upcoming doctrine release.
Also, it's important to note that relic will probably be unwilling to copy the units from vCOH. I'm predicting that the wolverine will be replaced by the Jackson or Hellcat and the M8 will be replaced by some light armor, just to make it seem newer.
10 May 2014, 00:00 AM

Also, the setting seems later (battle of the bulge vs. Normandy) so we'll probably see some more advanced units.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS