Login

russian armor

Land Lease commander and fuel transfer ability

8 May 2014, 02:05 AM

I am curious your opinion as this can be next thing it has to be look at.
The ability to convert ammunition in to fuel allows Soviet player to field absolute horde of tanks.
Usually Shermans as they are better than T-34/76 and come with the commander.

Now, I fought this commander many time and every time, despite my attempts I wasn't able to cripple Soviet strong enough to prevent them from getting this crazy amount of Shermans, usually 4-6 (2v2) in very short time.
Now despite me having considerable amount of PzIV supported by PaKs the sheer amount of Soviet armour was enough to roll over my forces without even worrying about any AT. No tactics, no flanking just simple frontal attack. They lost tank or two but soon my PaKs were de crewed and my PzIV were outnumbered.
I don't mind Sherman and I don't mind this commander but I think this fuel conversion ability is making this commander a little too effective. I won't go as far as calling it Soviet Industry II but I do have this feeling when fighting against it. What's more a lot of the time I was able to dictate the pace of battle until suddenly a horde of Shermans usually pushed me back denying map control.
8 May 2014, 02:09 AM

Someone told me in another thread that upgunned scout cars will shoot down their planes really easily. I haven't tried it and it sounds a bit too good to be true but we'll see.

I saw overwhelming spam in a game yesterday from the LL commander also.
8 May 2014, 02:43 AM

Someone told me in another thread that upgunned scout cars will shoot down their planes really easily. I haven't tried it and it sounds a bit too good to be true but we'll see.

They do sometimes shoot down the plane before it gets to drop the fuel packs
Not every time but it seems quite common
8 May 2014, 03:05 AM

Theres a German commander that I use that drops 50 fuel for 200 mp. Luftwaffe supply Doc or something like that. Compared to the Lend lease commander that costs expensive 100 munitions, rng influenced and can be countered, LL really isn't OP.
8 May 2014, 03:06 AM

Increase the time it takes for the plane to reach the base that called it in? That should help with the 222 problem that kills it AFTER the fuel lands. Should be able to kill a bit before dropping its fuel... as in, modified to do exactly that. This is an extremely useful ability, probably even better than fuel to munitions conversion. You can easily pump out armor minutes earlier than you normally would, and when shermans come around in hordes, you are going to lose a lot of stuff to their super fast fire rate.

Kind of stupid to have to make a flakpanzer just to counter it properly, but top mg gunners are not reliable, and the 222 is the best option for being cheap and readily available at the time. How fast does the plane appear on the map after the ability is called in? Reduce the time it takes for the plane to arrive on the map, but make the plane slower, as in, keeping it in the air a bit longer before it drops fuel. This way it could be more vulnerable, but the fuel doesn't arrive a bit late in comparison to the current option.

I dont know. Something not stupid as to destroy it completely. It is a high risk, high reward ability. You can spontaneously lose 100 munitions, or you can get up to 40 fuel in return. I dont face off against fuel drop planes often enough to test out how well i can shoot them down.
8 May 2014, 03:25 AM

Honestly, I don't see the problem with it. Did they have both fuels? Did they have one fuel with mass fuel caches? It's RNG based, at times you can only get 20, 30 seems to be the most common and 40 is rare but it occurs from time to time. It's inferior compared to the luftwaffe fuel supply drop.

Plus Shermans are what? 35 more fuel than t34s and they really aren't significantly better. Sherman excels against infantry, however, the t34 already does a good job killing infantry.

I think the ability and the Sherman is fine. The reason why we see the supply drop a lot is because that doctrine isn't munition heavy. 222s have been doing a great job shooting those planes down for me. Perhaps like others say, slow down the speed of the plane to fully balance it out.
8 May 2014, 05:03 AM

In relics explanation of the ability the plane is extremely weak to AA. It flys over the enemy base every time!

If all the soviet is doing is spamming shermans, they should not come out any sooner as they still need 9CP which is much later than having enough fuel. It would however mean they probably have enough for 3 straight away.

8 May 2014, 05:17 AM

In relics explanation of the ability the plane is extremely weak to AA. It flys over the enemy base every time!

If all the soviet is doing is spamming shermans, they should not come out any sooner as they still need 9CP which is much later than having enough fuel. It would however mean they probably have enough for 3 straight away.

True, but Shermans are almost useless against proper Tiger/panther play anyways, and 9 CP gives plenty time for T4 and Panther to be built, and a huge opening for scout car abuse since LL doesn't have guards.

I think the Biggest obsticle to defeating LL is similar to Soviet Industry. Finding out what doc the Sov chose and making counter preparations before the swarm of tanks come.
8 May 2014, 05:21 AM

I think it's a great ability as you can drop it anywhere. The LW ability requires that you drop it over a fuel point.

It is, however, vulnerable to AA. The LL commanders is one of the top 3 Soviet commanders due to this and the Sherman IMO.
8 May 2014, 05:31 AM

One time a teammate called for me an oil drop and the plane was shot down. It landed on my HQ killing a vet 2 sniper and vet 2 guards squad.
8 May 2014, 05:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 May 2014, 05:31 AMAbdul
One time a teammate called for me an oil drop and the plane was shot down. It landed on my HQ killing a vet 2 sniper and vet 2 guards squad.

That's your penalty for abusing of that tactic :D
8 May 2014, 05:38 AM

8 May 2014, 06:37 AM

While the fuel conversion ability is pretty darn strong I highly recommend countering the plane by getting two upgunned scout cars out. And making at least two paks + p4 or w/e tank you're aiming for: tiger, etc... Paks deal with Shermans very nicely. (Remember: two paks, 1 pak will easily get overtaken by a sherman at any range.)
8 May 2014, 06:40 AM

I allways build 2 packs if I'm not building a quick T3.
8 May 2014, 06:44 AM

Multiple Shermans with their MG actually shred AT gun crews to an alarming degree. The only way the Paks come out on top - even 2-3 paks - is if they correctly anticipate the Sherman's approach path and get shots off at near max distance. If the Sherms get reasonable close they'll do much more damage than an equivalent number of T34s would because they're very effective at killing those models.

This isn't a general winge, I'm just pointing out that they are damned good tanks in the AI role.
8 May 2014, 09:53 AM

Not quite. 9CP isn't that late and you can easily stale the game with some ZiS support. I did that many times with double T-34/85 call in. This will allow you to save fuel as well so you can almost always get 2-3 Shermans straight away.
I would prefer call ins to be redesigned so you need T3/T4 completion to get them and CP requirement was reduced.
8 May 2014, 10:05 AM

I always go t4 - panther + ATguns to counter shermans.
PIV's are good, but panth is better.

8 May 2014, 10:16 AM

This has been my experience when fighting this commander. If you situate a (even solo) scout car in the middle of the map, it will almost reliably pick off the supply plane and let it crash into the enemy's base.
8 May 2014, 10:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 May 2014, 10:16 AMENm!Ty

This has been my experience when fighting this commander. If you situate a (even solo) scout car in the middle of the map, it will almost reliably pick off the supply plane and let it crash into the enemy's base.

:D
Have to try this out haha
8 May 2014, 11:25 AM

That's your penalty for abusing of that tactic :D

I did not even ask for it, my mate decided to send me some oil, instead this happened.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★