Login

russian armor

PTRS/PPSH/DP-28's part of the soviet core army as upgrades?

30 Apr 2014, 07:11 AM

All of these upgrades can be gated through some fuel requirement similar to how the M5 call-in in the lend-lease commander requires T3 or T4 to built in order to upgrade it to a quad cannon M5. Fantastic work on the last update improving the soviets, but its still annoying how all 3 of these weapons are all doctrinal. PQ has talked about improving the soviet core army, I think this is the final step in making soviets not such a gimmicky faction that relies on commanders.

- PTRS upgrades on conscripts bought through munition, however requires T3 or T4 to be built, so as not to render scout car timings obsolete.

- DP-28 upgrades on penals that again, requires T3 or T4 to be built. It reinforces the nature of penals being an anti-infantry unit, from the anti-infantry building.

- PPSH upgrades on conscripts, that also requires the fuel investment of T3/T4, in exchange for the usual CP requirement that commanders have it. As for the commanders that do have the PPSH upgrade, you can make them more appealing by having a discounted munition cost and also being attainable earlier than T3/T4 is normally built. Soviet players that do not use a PPSH commander will have to compensate by paying an extra 20 munition on top of the 30 that it currently costs.

These are just starting ideas, but I honestly think all 3 of these upgrades should be in the soviet core army and not limited to doctrines. I find it really boring having to choose a particular commander over and over again if I want any 3 of these weapons in my army. Keep in mind all of these upgrades aren't just no brainer decisions, they will disadvantage the unit in some way if the player decides to upgrade the unit with that particular weapon. Penals will lose DPS when mobile, conscripts lose anti-infantry DPS when upgrading to PTRS and lose long range effectiveness when upgrading to PPSH.

Another idea is that the number of weapons allocated in these upgrades can be limited so as to not make commanders which have these weapons obsolete. PTRS upgrade for cons only allows for 1 rifle and same for the Penal squad, only granting them one DP-28 but no button ability. PPSH's given to conscripts should cost slightly more than commanders which actually have the PPSH ability and so on.

Reposting my thread from the official forums, somehow I think Coh2.org actually has more active posters lol.
30 Apr 2014, 07:19 AM

Soviet infantry is fine at the moment. Their basic gear is enough to allow them to do their job. Apparently, soviets are not supposed to have versatility, so none of those things will ever happen. However, soviet combined arms is much more effective.
30 Apr 2014, 10:23 AM

Soviet infantry is fine at the moment. Their basic gear is enough to allow them to do their job. Apparently, soviets are not supposed to have versatility, so none of those things will ever happen. However, soviet combined arms is much more effective.

Its a shame because all of these upgrades being a part of of the core army would make it much more interesting. It promotes a variety of strategy and not being tunneled into the same commanders over and over, despite lend-lease being flavor of the month at the moment which has none of these upgrades.

None of these are obvious buffs, not at the point at which they would be available anyway (T3/T4 req). Its just my idea of making it more interesting and giving the soviets more flavor alone without taking commanders into account.
30 Apr 2014, 10:26 AM

Cons are fine at the moment. No need for any tweaks.
30 Apr 2014, 10:31 AM

yup, cons are fine now.

30 Apr 2014, 10:40 AM

Its about flavor and to provide a variety of strategy rather than buffing units for the sake of buffing.
30 Apr 2014, 16:00 PM

a single DP-28 upgrade with 40 munition will suffice
30 Apr 2014, 16:17 PM

This would be a game-breaking change. Allowing all of those upgrades to soviet infantry would be moronic.

It's fine the way it is now and it should not be changed.
30 Apr 2014, 16:42 PM

I think they should've given just one of these upgrades to a soviet non-doctrinal infantry when the game was first released.

At this point it would mess with balance too much to add it. Infantry balance is the closest it's ever been. No need to change it now.
30 Apr 2014, 19:18 PM

This would be a game-breaking change. Allowing all of those upgrades to soviet infantry would be moronic.

It's fine the way it is now and it should not be changed.

Nice avatar. I have it on my phone also as a memory of horrible disbalance that was created by March patch.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★