Login

russian armor

Multplayer numbers and will they keep us alive?

30 Apr 2014, 01:24 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 00:02 AMtokarev
By the way, good idea about farming bulletins while compstomping.
Can anyone tell me in what mission, or AI battle, or ToW I could farm bulletins for Heavies? Like ISU-152, Panther or Tiger? I think I got IS-2 already covered.

If there is demand I might do a guide for it, because I've learned a lot doing it.

Go to answer would be:

1000 pts
High Resources
Steppes
4v4

How you set the AIs varies, on the one hand you are pursuing a sub-optimal strategy generally, but you also do not want to win too fast.

Doctrine:

Recon is good for killing specific units because you have to know where they are

Smoke is good for getting out of trouble and preserving units you are trying to vet

Luftwaffe is good when combined with high starting resources if the map gives you a close fuel point (Angermunde/Rhzev) and you are not chasing anything doctrinal

Panthers:

Kill 50 Med + 50 Heavy Don't need comp stomp for this

Build 50 Panthers Ditto

Kill 30 Katusyhas AI not so keen on these, but still useful as you can be prepared to risk losing units chasing them down

Kill 50 T70s with Panthers & Get 25 Panthers to Vet 3
Comp Stomp is good for getting anything to Vet 3, and the AI likes building T70s

Elephants:

Destroy 25 Heavy Tanks AI loves it's KV8s, rarely builds other heavies

Kill 30 enemies with 5 Phants AI loves building infantry, especially engies and penals

Kill 40 T34/76s AI builds T34s when until recently you did not see them much in multiplayer

Build 20 Tigers, 20 IS2, 40 Elephants Meh

ISU 152:

Mech Support is better then Shock Motor (Guards for button + Mark Target to Kill)

Kill 25 Panthers and 10 Tigers AI builds both so NP

Kill 25 buildings and 50 Vehicles
If you get the other one you will be well on the way to 50 vehicles, hit a few bases for the buildings

Tigers:

I got all these without comp stomp I think, but:

Build 20 Tigers, 20 IS2, 40 Elephants Meh

Destroy 20 34/76 and 10 34/85 AI doesn't like it's 34/85s very much

Kill 10 IS2s Don't recall the AI building these ever, so it is either normal play or you go to TOW and play Kharkov Divide where the AI does build them

Kill 50 enemies with a Tiger
Kharkov divide also good for this
30 Apr 2014, 05:33 AM

Permanently Banned
seriusly guys, what do you expect when you go to the gym for a first time? you will lift the high weights immediately?
30 Apr 2014, 06:26 AM

look at the steam reviews at the bottom of the store page, all negative. it's really sucky. i wonder how many sales were lost because of that
30 Apr 2014, 07:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2014, 17:43 PMBurts
the first thing i did when i bought this game is jump straight into automatch 1v1. I didint even know how to retreat my troops.

Not one step back!
30 Apr 2014, 07:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 00:08 AMtokarev

Also, listen to your troops voice, you are sometimes told that things go wrong.

I wish this worked too. The reality is that the grenade warning voices by your troops come after the grenade has already done it's damage because of some weird delay that hasn't been fixed yet.
30 Apr 2014, 09:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2014, 15:20 PMKatitof

I've had another friend start playing coh2, he jumped right into multiplayer with zero knowledge of the game or experience with it, got matched up against potato and won his first 2 games.

So I'd say that part of the matchmaking works.

Tell your friend he is an ass if he plays anything but 1v1
30 Apr 2014, 09:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 05:33 AMakosi
seriusly guys, what do you expect when you go to the gym for a first time? you will lift the high weights immediately?

You ever considered that some people play the game for fun? Not everyone cares about competitive gaming
30 Apr 2014, 12:40 PM

Permanently Banned
you ever considered i dont talked about ppl who play vs Ai for fun? :S
30 Apr 2014, 12:51 PM
Honorary Member Badge

ive played a game with very very small populations, games only die if you want them to. ;) 12 on 1 server on a good day maybe 2 servers on a great day. (over maybe a few hours) over the years fortress forever has had its ups and downs but people still find away to play it.
30 Apr 2014, 12:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 06:26 AMbuckers
look at the steam reviews at the bottom of the store page, all negative. it's really sucky. i wonder how many sales were lost because of that

Very few I would guess, most people don't care or read steam or metacritic user reviews. They rely on their favorite video games news site or friends.
30 Apr 2014, 13:07 PM

IMO
Sorry for the confusion of my post. I guess what I was saying is that without multiplayer growth the whole game itself will die. Campaign play and new DLC does not generate enough ongoing revenue to justify keeping a game alive or further development. $10 DLC three times a year, (plus steam takes about 30% of sales) The new business model for all the new games is online pvp style whatever the genre (imo). The game has to be attracting and retaining NEW players. So far COH2 biggest players were 12k at release.

lets not forget that COH already DID DIE but was resurrected because RELIC was broke and it was it's only title that had a chance of saving it (which it did not) COHO china, coho - just examples of trying to adjust tothe economics of gaming today. So comp stompers and campaign guys should be playing multiplayer or at least thanking them for extending the life of their experience.

I hope the western armies is going to heavily promote the Multiplayer aspect otherwise I fear 12 months from now it will be adios.

(it would be great if the could make a meta map where the battles fought all day actually added up to overall an war picture, run the whole war every 8 weeks - each map is a part of the battle tally wins from automatch for each side each day and give it to either allies or axis)something bigger might draw in people - heck let the compstompers count too if they play expert ai)

30 Apr 2014, 13:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 13:07 PMRalph
IMO

(it would be great if the could make a meta map where the battles fought all day actually added up to overall an war picture, run the whole war every 8 weeks - each map is a part of the battle tally wins from automatch for each side each day and give it to either allies or axis)something bigger might draw in people - heck let the compstompers count too if they play expert ai)

Shogun 2 did something very similar to that for their multiplayer. Each clan was put into a separate tier based on experience. The clans within each tier then competed against each other over the map trying to secure different provinces. After 2 weeks or so, the top 2 or 3 clans in each tier would move up. I thought it was a great system.
30 Apr 2014, 16:02 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 12:51 PMWiFiDi
ive played a game with very very small populations, games only die if you want them to. ;) 12 on 1 server on a good day maybe 2 servers on a great day. (over maybe a few hours) over the years fortress forever has had its ups and downs but people still find away to play it.

and i dont have 15 mins from my life to spare it waiting for another player to play with -.-(yes,i usually wait 15 mins to get a game..)
30 Apr 2014, 17:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 16:02 PMakosi

and i dont have 15 mins from my life to spare it waiting for another player to play with -.-(yes,i usually wait 15 mins to get a game..)

30 Apr 2014, 17:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 12:51 PMWiFiDi

Theres still a ton of people playing Quake 2, and hell even Red Alert 1 (Open RA)
CoH2 will never be perfect, but its getting better. The new weapon profiles, cover system all of it is making this game more about skill rather than strictly unit composition cheese. I havent had this much fun playing versus higher ranked players for a long time. Alot of "higher" ranked players losing their ranks aswell.
30 Apr 2014, 17:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Theres still a ton of people playing Quake 2, and hell even Red Alert 1 (Open RA)
CoH2 will never be perfect, but its getting better. The new weapon profiles, cover system all of it is making this game more about skill rather than strictly unit composition cheese. I havent had this much fun playing versus higher ranked players for a long time. Alot of "higher" ranked players losing their ranks aswell.

my point was just becuase the player count is low doesn't mean the game is dead or will die any time soon. :)
30 Apr 2014, 17:27 PM

There was no problem getting games in DOW2 with about 1/3 of the population. One nice thing was that you could tab out and then when you got a match you directed straight to that. I know COH2 has similar if you change some steam files but I think relic should make that default. Anyway I think the game will be vibrant until Relic abandon it , which doesnt look soon obviously.
30 Apr 2014, 17:29 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 17:00 PMDanielD

edit: meme fail :D
30 Apr 2014, 17:43 PM

There was no problem getting games in DOW2 with about 1/3 of the population. One nice thing was that you could tab out and then when you got a match you directed straight to that. I know COH2 has similar if you change some steam files but I think relic should make that default. Anyway I think the game will be vibrant until Relic abandon it.

In windows 8 the coh2 icon flashes while you are searching for a game and will actually become a loading bar if you find a match and it begins loading (while tabbed out). Pro tip. Not sure about win7 tho.
30 Apr 2014, 17:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2014, 17:43 PMWilliG

In windows 8 the coh2 icon flashes while you are searching for a game and will actually become a loading bar if you find a match and it begins loading (while tabbed out). Pro tip. Not sure about win7 tho.

It does this in Win 7 also but its a bit buggy tabbing back, for me at least. Those team players who make the first building after 30 seconds, I dont want to be one of those.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 43
Russian Federation 38
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak