Login

russian armor

New Soviet Commander on the way!!!

10 Apr 2014, 22:05 PM
11 Apr 2014, 00:35 AM

I have to agree, it really is a cash grab and its disappointing. The practice of releasing DLC content that effects multiplayer without anyway to earn said content through actual game play is abysmal. Anyone who actually argues otherwise is not pro-consumer. It is truly a spit in the face to all fans of the franchise. Even if it took someone like 20+ hours through exp gains or whatever to unlock a DLC commander, it would still be more acceptable than outright not being able to earn them at all. It would also serve as a carrot on a stick to keep people playing and create a more active multiplayer scene, but short term profits and benefits for some reason blind the marketing team of these facts.

Say it actually does take 20 hours to unlock a DLC commander, just think in the 20 hours that individual plays the game, he/she may take a really big liking to the game and spread the word to their friends. Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool, good business practice will strengthen this but they really missed the ball on this one.

e: For the record I know this commander isn't coming out any time soon, just a rant about DLC commanders and how it literally pissed all over the once good name of company of heroes. sorry.

/thread

Pack it up folks, it's all been said and done over here.
11 Apr 2014, 00:40 AM

I'm baffled people endorse more paid commanders
This is beyond me

This is what capitalism has done to people, it's pretty sad actually xD
11 Apr 2014, 00:53 AM

This is what capitalism has done to people, it's pretty sad actually xD

Yeah, its one of the major problems at the moment in developing countries.
11 Apr 2014, 00:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2014, 17:48 PMBurts

Also, jesus people, remember +6 months ago how you complained that commanders were basically all the same, you wanted the commander system to be like in coh 1 "where every commander gave you a completely different playstyle" and you got these kind of commanders, be happy now. But no, now people complain that they break what COH is.

I, for one, never said that.

In fact I distinctly remember myself saying in April last year that this system was fundamentally broken and that they should scrap the Commanders and replace it with the CoH1 Doctrine system.

The problem with Relic is that when they designed this game they designed it around monetizing everything that could be monetized.

Instead of just designing a very good game and then looking at the product and saying; "What can we fairly monetize, here?" - and there are plenty of things - they just went from the product at the start and said "Forget core design, we need money!".

There are plenty of things they could've monetized without breaking the game. Bulletins, ToW missions, aesthetics, bonus campaign missions, and of course, the new factions. Then you can add more interesting stuff like new voice packs, or new building aesthetics - hell, you could let people play distinguished army divisions from either side with their very own distinctive feel. Fuck, you could've even spoofed playing other countries by doing reskins. You think people wouldn't pay to play as Finland, even if all that changed for the Germans was aesthetics and voices?

If they wanted to monetize this game without fucking up the gameplay, they could've, it just wouldn't have been as quick or easy. Which is why I'm disgusted with this current policy, it's not done because it's necessary, it's done because it's the easy low-hanging fruit.

If Relic made some changes to make this atrocity more reasonable - like making commanders unlockable in game, or things like that - then I would straight up buy every piece of DLC right now just to prove that when you're not extorting people they're more inclined to play nice.

And that, ladies and gents, is my last "rant" here.
11 Apr 2014, 01:13 AM

So I guess actually talking about the new commander isn't going to happen.
11 Apr 2014, 01:26 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Problem with DLC commanders (besides balance issues):

1- Same abilities as others commanders but arranged on a different way
or
2- 2/3 "new" things which are either units/mechanics which are already on the vanilla game, ToW or don´t require new voices, design, etc.

3- Relationship between price = value. Comparing getting some commanders or other full games.

Anyway i´m fine if they don´t fuck the balance, AGAIN.
Thing is, i would love to see the numbers of sales of each DLC commander. Since i guess you can´t sell something if it´s not either appealing or OP, i don´t expect them to be UP.
11 Apr 2014, 01:35 AM

Problem with DLC commanders (besides balance issues):

2- 2/3 "new" things which are either units/mechanics which are already on the vanilla game, ToW or don´t require new voices, design, etc.

This was really my biggest gripe about the dlc commanders. The only completely new unit we got out of it was the KV-2. Everything else was present in one form or another.
11 Apr 2014, 02:01 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

This was really my biggest gripe about the dlc commanders. The only completely new unit we got out of it was the KV-2. Everything else was present in one form or another.

But the KV2 wasn´t on the ToW: Case Blue ? I guess its not "Vanilla vanilla content".

So I guess actually talking about the new commander isn't going to happen.

Theres no much to talk about, since unless someone has any new pic, the "new" commanders have already been spotted months ago either from the pics, worldbuilder or leaks.
Unless they have completely change them.

With this commander I´m foreseeing Penal + Scoutcar spam, all in Con spam, cache and support weapon/sniper spam on teamgames.
11 Apr 2014, 03:15 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I just realized that too,,, We really haven't gotten anything new or unique at all it's just unit and tow recycling.
We're basically paying money to use TOW abilities in a multiplayer setting.

Where are the SU100's and Wespes?
The soviet marines? panzer pioneers? Fallschrimjagers?
Panzer 3??
11 Apr 2014, 04:47 AM
Honorary Member Badge

So, you would rather have this stuff availible in TOW only not multiplayer?

Becquse I bet if that was the case people would be complaining about that, and saying that Relic are stupid for not realising how easy it would be to do.

11 Apr 2014, 05:52 AM

I just realized that too,,, We really haven't gotten anything new or unique at all it's just unit and tow recycling.

Panzer 3??

I have a feeling that some of the germans units that we don't see will be for the new oberkommando west faction.

Anyone know when Not One Step Back and Encirclement tactics DLC comes out?
11 Apr 2014, 06:01 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

So, you would rather have this stuff availible in TOW only not multiplayer?

Becquse I bet if that was the case people would be complaining about that, and saying that Relic are stupid for not realising how easy it would be to do.

I wish they'd just release the entire complete game instead just regurgitating the same things we've already bought back at us in the form of Dlc commanders. What's next? A Partisan doctrine with Ania and her sniper teams from the campaign as a vet 3 call in sniper group?

11 Apr 2014, 06:48 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I love also that after 7 pages of discussion it is mostly about whether the DLC should exist.

No one appears to have taken the basic step of booting up the game and playing the TOW mission in question to remind themselves

"No retreat, no surrender"

Commissar squad there is a 3 man unit, the Commissar and two riflemen (someone better than me will be able to see the unit stats no doubt)

Buffs nearby infantry, if he dies units instantly shatter and are pinned.

VET 1:

50 MUN Spy Network (As partisans I believe)

VET 2:

Call in a KV2 440 MP / 250 F / 22 PC

VET 3:

Il2 Bomb Strike 200 MUN

Vet abilities sound interesting, but you have to Vet up a three man squad you can never retreat and screws you if it dies.

Normally you can have more than 1 it seems, but you cannot build anymore in the TOW Mission and you can select a normal commander on top. I went for Defensive Commander so as not to screw things up too much.

Also the TOW mission is early 43 with all that entails so the units are not the same as in MP.

In this mission No Retreat No Surrender buffs MP by 50 but disables retreats.

Also to be noted is that the TOW has radio towers so new units come in further up the field.

On big multiplayer maps it is going to be a long walk home to get healed if necessary and a long walk back afterwards so field prescence will be a problem

Also, whilst the Soviets have two methods to reinforce in the field (Merge + M5) I don't think that they have any way to heal.

This may be a problem
11 Apr 2014, 06:52 AM
Honorary Member Badge

As one of the other TOW missions in Southern Fronts is the Lutfwaffe guy from Kharkov Divide I will post him too, as I expect that if we get the Commissar we will get him somewhere.

4 man team, so I expect the same stats as Artillery Officer

Recon: On demand on your location

Frag Bombs: 100 MUN

Stuka 37mm: 150 MUN

On reflection though that is very close to the Make War not Love Air Superiority Commander so we may not get this guy

11 Apr 2014, 07:14 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I wish they'd just release the entire complete game instead just regurgitating the same things we've already bought back at us in the form of Dlc commanders. What's next? A Partisan doctrine with Ania and her sniper teams from the campaign as a vet 3 call in sniper group?

Fair Enough, though what works in TOW is not the same as what works otherwise so there is a development, testing and balancing cost.

The KV1 from TOW is the same skin as the call-in, but the costs are different

Similarly the B4s that are in Blitzkreig and Smolensk are not the same thing as the buildible unit either.

Same is also true of the STUG-E you have in 1941, which in MP is unjustly pilloried but in 1941 TOW is about as good as you can get and costs about 3 times as much
11 Apr 2014, 09:31 AM

Panzer 3??

Wespe and other things will come with the OKW faction on june Expansion.
12 Apr 2014, 04:40 AM

Nobody has issues with paying for dlc. Customers have issues with selling dlc that breaks the game they paid for.
15 Apr 2014, 15:38 PM

The new commanders seem to be stuck somewhere or are they still on there way?
15 Apr 2014, 15:41 PM

relic said they wont be realeased. They said they were just testing the store page.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS