Login

russian armor

Western Front - lack of info?

8 Apr 2014, 10:32 AM
Patrion 14

Hello CoH2.org community.

I'm one of those people who is looking forward to the new factions. Colour me a heretic, but I am even looking forward to counter-factual battles between the Americans and Russians, like Stalin played the ultimate gambit after Berlin. I also think the new, cheaper entry point for CoH2 is a great development for the game, the community and Relic.

My point is I am a broadly positive person who only wants good things for CoH2 in the round.

However...

This product is due out in, what, eight weeks? And what do we have?

* a short gameplay video

* some screenies

* some fairly enigmatic interviews where Quinn has been evasive as to specific faction mechanics

My question is why?

Is it:

(a) ZOMG this is going to be the Opposing Fronts of CoH2, with Oberkommando West as the new Brits and Relic know what the community reaction is gonna be?

(b) Poor marketing / community engagement

(c ) me missing something (entirely possible)

What does the community think?

I don't go to the official forums due to the moronic moderation policy, so forgive me if they are a treasure trove of useful info. Which I doubt.
8 Apr 2014, 10:42 AM

Permanently Banned
First of all, no
the game name isnot Company of EasternFront Heroes, instead Company of Heroes 2, which dont need to be only in eastern front, instead it gives more than coh1(new engine etc..) not like between Call of Duty 11 and 12.
8 Apr 2014, 10:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Apr 2014, 10:42 AMakosi
First of all, no
the game name isnot Company of EasternFront Heroes, instead Company of Heroes 2, which dont need to be only in eastern front, instead it gives more than coh1(new engine etc..) not like between Call of Duty 11 and 12.

What? Wrong Thread?
8 Apr 2014, 10:55 AM
Caster Badge

D) You're forgetting how marketing works. They don't tell everything right away. They slowly built it up towards the release. Even with 2 months to do this in that should hardly be a massive obstacle since usually the problem is there is too much time and you don't want to reveal it all in one go and have people bored for half a year.

So not exactly sure why you're expecting them to put it all in the table since it's only been about a week or two since the expansion was announced.
8 Apr 2014, 11:33 AM
Patrion 14

^ Seven weeks to release, Dane. Not long. It strikes me as a bit odd, but hey-ho.
8 Apr 2014, 11:50 AM

^ Seven weeks to release, Dane. Not long. It strikes me as a bit odd, but hey-ho.

inb4 delayed by 2-3 months :D

What little they have provided is enough for friends of mine who were on the fence about CoH2 simply because it was the eastern fronts army, are now probably going to buy the standalone armies (or just US lol). There are a lot of allied fanboys. :)
8 Apr 2014, 12:35 PM

They said they would release info over the next few weeks.
8 Apr 2014, 12:39 PM
Patrion 14

Building up excitement and speculations is also a big part of it all. Seeing people discuss possibilities only enhances the buzz around the whole expansion. Having people hyped about it, no matter how little they know about it is a good thing. #Marketing1on1
8 Apr 2014, 12:49 PM

Building up excitement and speculations is also a big part of it all. Seeing people discuss possibilities only enhances the buzz around the whole expansion. Having people hyped about it, no matter how little they know about it is a good thing. #Marketing1on1

You probably mean "#Marketing101".....

On a serious note, lack of information generally leads to negative speculation, as one believes a given company has no incentive to withold good news, whereas bad news is shared as late as possible or not at all. Therefore, an average CoH2 player is excited, ofcourse, but prepares for a dissapointment at the same time.
8 Apr 2014, 13:32 PM

I don't get it. What's there really to know, and what's there really to market?

It's two new factions. Yeah, it's big. But it's not a new game. Company of Heroes 2 is already out, all the marketing that can be done for this game has been done, and most of those who are going to buy this will already own this game. So marketing isn't as big of a deal.

The most marketing I've ever seen for an expansion is for DoW2: Retribution, and that was because they were transferring from GFWL to Steamworks and absolutely had to get as many people over as possible.

There's nothing that this DLC will have that we'll need to know about now. Anybody who knows Relic will know it'll be some new units for currently exiting factions, some new music, maybe a few new maps, and then the two factions. A'int much more information that needs to be given, you'd pretty much know it all from experience with Relic anyways.

And yes, you better prepare your anus for a year or so of terrible balance.
8 Apr 2014, 13:37 PM

[...] Anybody who knows Relic will know it'll be some new units for currently exiting factions [...]

I wouldn'T count on it, especially because you can buy the new fations as "standalone".
(btw, retribution was also standalone so...^^)
8 Apr 2014, 15:08 PM

D) You're forgetting how marketing works. They don't tell everything right away. They slowly built it up towards the release. Even with 2 months to do this in that should hardly be a massive obstacle since usually the problem is there is too much time and you don't want to reveal it all in one go and have people bored for half a year.

So not exactly sure why you're expecting them to put it all in the table since it's only been about a week or two since the expansion was announced.

Still,this interview was really the lowest budget interview ever seen. I dont feel like their marketing is the best.
8 Apr 2014, 16:14 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

IMO, the lack of hype is pretty bad. Nobody outside of the current COH Community really has a clue about it.
8 Apr 2014, 19:21 PM
Donator 11

As usual Relics hype machine is beyond worthless... Anyone not a ww2 fan has barely heard about company of heroes... anyone not a hardcore company of heroes will NEVER hear about or see a reason to check out this expansion...

Relic should fire the person responsible for their advertisment.
8 Apr 2014, 19:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Apr 2014, 19:21 PMspajn
As usual Relics hype machine is beyond worthless... Anyone not a ww2 fan has barely heard about company of heroes... anyone not a hardcore company of heroes will NEVER hear about or see a reason to check out this expansion...

Relic should fire the person responsible for their advertisment.

Actually, anyone interested in RTS will hear about CoH2 inevitably.

Why?

Because RTS market is tiny, you can count all meaningful RTS games with one hand.

There is SC2, then there is a huuge gap, then there is MoW2 and CoH2, then there is another gap and we have some AoE vs C&C struggling for last place.
8 Apr 2014, 19:52 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I would have thought the teaser video that they showed at Rezzed would at least be on the Official COH Youtube Channel by now, and shared on social media. Dunno what's going on.
8 Apr 2014, 19:54 PM
Donator 11

Actually, anyone interested in RTS will hear about CoH2 inevitably.

Why?

Because RTS market is tiny, you can count all meaningful RTS games with one hand.

There is SC2, then there is a huuge gap, then there is MoW2 and CoH2, then there is another gap and we have some AoE vs C&C struggling for last place.

I have never heard anyone mention company of heroes to me... and when i try to explain it they think i mean close combat. Trust me, you really do have to want to find this game if your gonna find it at all.
8 Apr 2014, 19:55 PM

That is why I've said "anyone interested in RTS".
8 Apr 2014, 20:23 PM

Maybe western fronts will not come out in june but later.like always.....today games are always comming out later then they first sayd.
8 Apr 2014, 20:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Apr 2014, 20:23 PMAffe
Maybe western fronts will not come out in june but later.like always.....today games are always comming out later then they first sayd.

But so far its for releases, not expansions.
These come on time still.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS