Login

russian armor

The One That Prevents COH2 from Being Fantastic

5 Apr 2014, 04:38 AM

God I miss company of heroes.

American, Wher, Brit or PE, win or lose - I had a big smile on my face all game.

Was it due to the chess like balance? Nope – I was never very competitive.

Perhaps it was due to the specific doctrines? Although they were great it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Perhaps it was due to the western from? I love the epic scale and the world changing battles of the east too, so it can’t be that.

Then what could it be? Why am I missing the original so much when we have a “new” game right here?

A Labour of Love

Well I love WW2 history, and the love, attention to detail and powerful visual and physical effects of the first game show me that the guys that made the original loved it too.

You can see the passion in every mortar strike and leaves a distinct mortar strike mark, every bit of ordinance that flies overhead and straight into a squad of riflemen as it sends pieces of them around the small village in western france.

You feel for your troops as a goliath’s unmissable squeaky track noise fires up near a group of your rangers, and you know it’s too late.

There it is.

Hundreds of pounds of high explosive detonate in a flash, you see a man’s legs fly one way his torso another as they hit a small house’s roof and bounce off, dirt gets thrown metres into the air and a huge smoking crater is left behind.

You know the original was a labour of love when you see a jeep hit a small hole in the ground, hard enough to rip off its small windshield which flies off to the side, just before an mg42 fires up and shreds it to pieces – and sends its driver and unlucky passenger to the other side of the road.

You could literally shoot of bit of side skits from tanks, mg gunners died and slowly slid out of the top of the tank and to the ground, 208mm rocket strikes decimated infantry and tanks alike.

I could go on for hours but I wont, as I have a point to make.

The Secret Missing Ingredient

You would think that COH2 would have millions of memorable moments like this, after all its a bigger war, has bigger guns, and the 2 of the most fearsome armies the world has ever seen are about to collide.

That’s what I thought at least when I first fired it up and launched into a game. After a few minutes I could tell all was not ok on the eastern front. At first I thought I had disabled all the physics by accident or am on some sort of low setting – I checked and checked again, game was maxed out.

But every time artillery struck, a grenade exploded or even the rail mounted arty hit – nothing happened. The little men simply fell to the ground and didn’t move a centimetre.

This is even more strange as the BETA actually had a lot more physics the final game did.

A word of Warning

Before we see the launch of new armies and new super units we need to see the detail back into a game, who wants a new super weapon if it has no effect on the environment or your enemies when you fire it?

You can image the destruction and power that would happen when 2 beasts like a tiger and IS2 go to war, except what you get is 2 blobs fighting firing fireballs at each other.

The soviet union was famous for its unworldly volume of heavy artillery fire, yet a single 105mm field howy is 10x more impressive in its sound, explosion and damage to ground and infantry then anything the soviet army musters in this game.

Distinct craters from different mution types which pock mark the map, and eventually turn it into the somme turn to smudges of black on the battlefield in COH2.

When I watch a game of COH to this day it’s like a top down god view of a small ww2 skirmish, when I do the same for COH2 it’s like I’m watching a cartoon – this needs to change.

With advanced pyshics and terrain destruction the map changes as you play, you can see where there is green and yellow cover just by looking at the crater – in a game where cover means more than it ever has before I think it would be wise to be able to tell if that black smudge is heavy, light or no cover.

Before we see the western Front again

I miss this sort of detail and visual power that the firs game had ( mind you its 8 years ago nwo) and with the launch of battle serves I see no reason why COH2 cant do the same or better.
Look this is my opinion I know a lot of people may not agree.

I think coh2 will never be as balanced or as chess like as COH was due to many things, resource system, capping, upkeep, how map points give muni and fuel ect ect

But I don’t really care - it can be a fantastic game.

It just needs that same level of detail, those same effects and we would already have a world class RTS on our hands.

Am I right? Am I wrong? What do you guys think?

PS. I am willing to pay 20 -30 dollars for an upgrade that brings back all the small details and phyics into COH2 if it is at least as good as it was in COH.
5 Apr 2014, 05:10 AM

Yeah, that jeep windshield and sideskirts falling off of tanks were great. I also liked the way wehr bikes exploded. With side cart section separated and MG guy still stuck in it then doing a 180 spin and catching on fire. That was pretty awesome.
5 Apr 2014, 05:13 AM

I agree but it's too late for them to completely modify this. They obviously were in a very low budget when developing this game since it was mainly developed under dying THQ. Perhaps we will see a graphics and physics update with Western Front armies who knows.
5 Apr 2014, 05:34 AM

I thought I had read this thread somewhere before then I realised it was HS King, lol.

It had been concluded that the MP had been modified to allow better performance in matches, perhaps with introduction of battle servers it may be reverted. Did you have to make the thread again though? heh
6 Apr 2014, 01:41 AM

I thought I had read this thread somewhere before then I realised it was HS King, lol.

It had been concluded that the MP had been modified to allow better performance in matches, perhaps with introduction of battle servers it may be reverted. Did you have to make the thread again though? heh

I hope they can implement it now cos of battle servers i agree.

But its ok to constantly talk about balance? This is a way way bigger issue in my opinion.

This is the difference between a good game and a epic game ;)
6 Apr 2014, 03:07 AM
Patrion 27

Before we see the launch of new armies and new super units we need to see the detail back into a game, who wants a new super weapon if it has no effect on the environment or your enemies when you fire it?

If this is your main concern why not play another game with better physics? Compared to balance, connectivity and community, physics don't mean jack shit to me. To each his own, which is why I suggest playing something else.
6 Apr 2014, 05:00 AM

Mmmmmh... *sips whisky* ...classic HS King mhmmm mhmmm.

I quite enjoy the regularity and enthusiasm.
6 Apr 2014, 05:13 AM

There's only one simple answer to this question:
6 Apr 2014, 06:39 AM

This is too good. Worth it. Would see again. 10/10
6 Apr 2014, 10:07 AM

If this is your main concern why not play another game with better physics? Compared to balance, connectivity and community, physics don't mean jack shit to me. To each his own, which is why I suggest playing something else.

Because I loved the original, and it had yet to be beaten visuals and physics and this is meant to be the sequel and it should have those crucial features as well. I get what you are saying but I loved the fairly small scale, th mix between realism and action and the incredible effects of company of heroes and hence this is why i play it and not something else.

I know they can do the same for this game so I play this and hope with enough exposure relic will add these features back into the game - I mean the patch between coh and COH:OF there was aquite a large update on the visuals and effects dont see why the same thing cant happen with the realease of the next patch or the western front addition
6 Apr 2014, 10:11 AM

"RNG Blessed be"
6 Apr 2014, 10:20 AM
Patrion 310

The one thing that prevents COH 2 from being great... the last patch. The turn to new infantery system was to radical and unbalanced the whole game... there is no more room for casual players in the automatch. You witness appalling handling of the units. German soldiers suicide attacking KV 8. Players sleeping on the field of battle and collecting panthers until the game is lost... my precious...lol. Point taken that is not the fault of the game architecture. Is the matching system broken? Players using no cover... Its no fun loosing this way.
6 Apr 2014, 15:37 PM

For me it's the P2W commanders that ruined this game.

What is those "battle servers" you are talking about? Are they finally going to implement a game browser?
6 Apr 2014, 15:52 PM

Permanently Banned

6 Apr 2014, 16:16 PM

Did you think a few thousand spoilers would keep me from Sammy Davis jr, or black Elvis or Pedro Garcia.
6 Apr 2014, 16:35 PM

Permanently Banned
smart forum members just check its source, so they dont have to click click to spoilers :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 25
Germany 1
Germany 635

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak